Thread: Audio Question

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Audio Question

I just purchased a new 2014 RT Ltd and noticed the audio hook up connection in the trunk for an MP3. My 2012 GoldWing used a USB which was quite convenient and the operation was seamless when I wished to play tunes.

This is likely a fairly dumb question, but is there a connector that I can plug into the bike and hook my USB to it for music or do I need to acquire an MP3? MP3's are not expensive at all but I was just wondering?

If I do go the MP3 route, is there anything I should watch out for with respect to picking the correct MP3 or will any MP3 work??

Thanks....small question but I did not know the answer and everyone on this Forum are so helpful...especially to a newbie Spyder owner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken613834 View Post
    I just purchased a new 2014 RT Ltd and noticed the audio hook up connection in the trunk for an MP3. My 2012 GoldWing used a USB which was quite convenient and the operation was seamless when I wished to play tunes.

This is likely a fairly dumb question, but is there a connector that I can plug into the bike and hook my USB to it for music or do I need to acquire an MP3? MP3's are not expensive at all but I was just wondering?

If I do go the MP3 route, is there anything I should watch out for with respect to picking the correct MP3 or will any MP3 work??

Thanks....small question but I did not know the answer and everyone on this Forum are so helpful...especially to a newbie Spyder owner.
    You should have got 2 cables to plug into the Ipod connector. One is for Ipod or other apple device. Look in your owners manual for the devices that are compatible. The Spyders cluster can control the Idevice and the options will show on the gauge cluster. The 2nd cable is for mp3 players and the cable has a mini stereo jack on the end. The sound will come through the radio but there is no control over the mp3 player. I am not a fan of Istuff but broke down and got a Ipod Classic just to plug into my Spyder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If you don't have an Apple device, go for a MP3 then. No USB connection/cable are available for the Spyder as of now. Only for Apple with the 30 pin plug (or buy the 30 pin/Lightning adapter), or the 9mm male jack for other MP3 devices.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ipod connection

I too have a 2014 RT Limited and have had nothing but trouble connecting my ipod. Have tried three diffierent ipods with same result. Fiddling with the 30 pin connection will get the ipod to work but as soon as I close the trunk and get on the bike, connection is lost. All ipods work fine on cables in house or other cars. Spyder does have a decent radio though (always way something nice)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptnrob View Post
    I too have a 2014 RT Limited and have had nothing but trouble connecting my ipod. Have tried three diffierent ipods with same result. Fiddling with the 30 pin connection will get the ipod to work but as soon as I close the trunk and get on the bike, connection is lost. All ipods work fine on cables in house or other cars. Spyder does have a decent radio though (always way something nice)

With your Ipod on and the Spyder running, press the mode button, then toggle through the selections with the "SET" button it will toggle through am, fm, weather, ipod. when it gets to ipod you should have the proper connection. a used ipod touch with the apple connection is usually the best option for great sounds. feel free to call me if you have any more questions 501 580-5595

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ipod connection

Joe, thanks for your response. I have a touch and when I toggle through, it will show aux connection until I get off, open trunk, play with connection until it works. Then when getting back on bike, it will revert to aux. Again, does this for three different ipods.
    Bike only have 1300 miles on it so plan to bring up this issue when it goes in for first service at 3,000 miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptnrob View Post
    Joe, thanks for your response. I have a touch and when I toggle through, it will show aux connection until I get off, open trunk, play with connection until it works. Then when getting back on bike, it will revert to aux. Again, does this for three different ipods.
    Bike only have 1300 miles on it so plan to bring up this issue when it goes in for first service at 3,000 miles.

Sounds like a loose wire or bad cable, good luck.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Sounds like a loose wire or bad cable, good luck.

Cruzr Joe
    get a new cable.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Only apple w orks wi handlebar controls

Xept volume

I use a Jabra bluetooth & connect to fm radio from my galaxy s5 phone

Also use maps for gps at same time

Mounted on dash

Works great xept cant change tracks unless i use touch screen on phone at stopsigns

I have an old ipod
    Works great from trunk
    But old music sets and no map system
    Eh

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks to all of you who have responded. Very helpful.

Spyder Garage

Talking Ipod Classic

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    You should have got 2 cables to plug into the Ipod connector. One is for Ipod or other apple device. Look in your owners manual for the devices that are compatible. The Spyders cluster can control the Idevice and the options will show on the gauge cluster. The 2nd cable is for mp3 players and the cable has a mini stereo jack on the end. The sound will come through the radio but there is no control over the mp3 player. I am not a fan of Istuff but broke down and got a Ipod Classic just to plug into my Spyder.

I just got a 2015 Spyder RTS and the salesman told me not to use my classic. Have you had any problems with it. If I could I would prefer my classic.
    Thanks.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default iPod Classic

Quote Originally Posted by GreyCastle View Post
    I just got a 2015 Spyder RTS and the salesman told me not to use my classic. Have you had any problems with it. If I could I would prefer my classic.
    Thanks.
    The classic worked fine on my 2014 RT s. I no longer have the classic (theft) and now have a touch. The touch works exactly the same as my classic did.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreyCastle View Post
    Thanks.
    My experience has been that the classic works great. I plug it in in the spring when the Spyder come out. Unplug it in the fall to bring it inside when the Spyder goes for winter storage.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    My experience has been that the classic works great. I plug it in in the spring when the Spyder come out. Unplug it in the fall to bring it inside when the Spyder goes for winter storage.
    I do the same, except that mine stays on the bike even through the winter months!

Spyder Garage

check with the dealer! If you purchase the bike recently they may be willing to get you a replacement! You got nothing to lose, but a phone call!

Spyder Garage

Someone on hear mentioned the 16's have a USB cable instead of iPod. Would that plug into 15's socket.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Default Audio Question

Lot of good answers above just a recap ipod with the 30pin connector (& or the new lighting adapter to the 30pin)will allow you to select playlist & skip thru songs. The other plug will just be a headphone jack & control volume. Finless made a good instructional vid for the ipod interface

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Someone on hear mentioned the 16's have a USB cable instead of iPod. Would that plug into 15's socket.
    No it won't.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

A little explanation of the difference between the audio input on older Spyders and the 2016 models.

In older Spyder the device you plug in actually plays the audio. It outputs this to the radio as analog audio to the radio. The radio amplifies the input and sends it out to the speakers. So with a MP3 player plugged in it uses 3 of the seven wires to the radio. Left and right audio plus 1 common ground. They are also compatible i devices for control and charging. So it uses all 7 wires. Left, right audio and ground, same as the mp3 player. Also has 5V power, ground and 2 data lines.

For 2016 the radio has gone to a usb connector. That is only 4 wires. 2 for power, 5V and ground. 2 for data. No analog audio lines anymore. Instead of the plugged in device playing the audio file. The plugged in device sends the audio file to the radio and the radio plays the audio file. The advantage is that more and cheaper devices can be used.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Lot of good answers above just a recap ipod with the 30pin connector (& or the new lighting adapter to the 30pin)will allow you to select playlist & skip thru songs. The other plug will just be a headphone jack & control volume. Finless made a good instructional vid for the ipod interface

I wasn't there but I still care! POW /MIA VETS
    I am going to reshoot this video due to the glair on the screen when I shot it...

I will also do a technical video about the trunk connection which should answer the many question we always get.

Stay tuned...
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Audio Question

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I am going to reshoot this video due to the glair on the screen when I shot it...

I will also do a technical video about the trunk connection which should answer the many question we always get.

Stay tuned...
    Lamont is going to have to add your videos to the do's & dont's listing. To get us & new members the proper training . Thx for what you have done I have learned a lot.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth

I really believe that the best solution is to use a Bluetooth headset in your helmet and pair it with your phone, be it android or iPhone and load your music on your phone, you can even go so far as purchasing some high end ear buds and plug them into the Bluetooth set in the helmet. No you have no limits to the music you can play. I have 15000 songs in the iCloud that I can access from anywhere and if I need to take or make a phone call I can. With the push of a button I can talk to my wife, and if she gets out of hand......with another push of a button, I can be back to music! The best part of this is......no one else but me has to listen to my lousy music!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.