Thread: Lights 2014 RT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Lights 2014 RT

Hi all, having a blast on my RT but I have a question. I have had a few friends I ride with tell me that it looks like my lights are jumping maybe on and off at different times. At night I can see a different color change off the road signs but that.s about it. Is this normal or should I call the dealer.
    Thanks for any info

Thanks New Rider

Spyder Garage

i believe what you are seeing is the High/Low beam lid bouncing and creating a momentary flash/strobe effect, it happens on all of them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My brother has a 2012 RT and i have never noticed that before and he rides behind me all the time. I will say the RT looks like a xmas tree riding behind you with all the lights

Spyder Garage

Default Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    i believe what you are seeing is the High/Low beam lid bouncing and creating a momentary flash/strobe effect, it happens on all of them.

Cruzr Joe
    Unless restricted by state law, during the day I ride with the high beams on, increases visibiity and no more comments about lights bouncing, at night it isn't an issue with thiis complaint but during the day people were constantly telling me there was an electrical problem. And no one has ever flashed me for having them on during the day.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info

Spyder Garage

RE: Bouncing light syndrome.

As mentioned above, it does have to do with the high beam shutters bouncing a bit.

During the day, I leave the high beams on all the time. 99.99% of the oncoming drivers do not complain.

Night driving is another issue of course.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

they have eyes of a temptress..constantly batting their eyelashes. Thats the side effect of shuttered projection lamps...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ENGINEERING MARVEL

BRP in their infinate wisdom spent probably $ 400 on the Shutter system when a $ 20 Dual beam headlight would have done the job.......PS the European system doesn't have the Shutters.......................JMHO.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Perfectly normal...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I firm up the rear suspension at night which lowers the headlights quite a bit, during the day it is fine. If I am on country roads at night I soften the suspension which raises the head lights a lot and gives me better distance down the road. I installed HIDs so I want to be careful about blinding other drivers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To me, the most important thing about always using high beam during daytime is making yourself more visible to cagers. A nice side effect of that is diminishing the flasher effect of low beams.

I very seldom ride at night, so I'm always on bright.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone I fill better now and know what to do. This is the best sit i have ever been on because of all the riders who are willing to help no matter what the problem.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIKEMIKE View Post
    Thanks everyone I fill better now and know what to do. This is the best sit i have ever been on because of all the riders who are willing to help no matter what the problem.

You gotta watch us though sometimes we get a little crusty, but we don't mean it, we just get grumpy when we forget our meds.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Just had two different friends we ride with ask me to use high beams only during the day

Otherwise they can not (find me )in mirror & wonder if Im back there!

Pearl white 2014 rts e6

At night itsa non issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My Friends say my lights look like there jumping and going side to side on and off. I called the dealer and i'm going to take it in just in case something is loose. When I ride at night it looks like nothing is wrong with the lights but with so many on the front I can't tell.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Yep

Quote Originally Posted by cyclekid58 View Post
    Unless restricted by state law, during the day I ride with the high beams on, increases visibiity and no more comments about lights bouncing, at night it isn't an issue with thiis complaint but during the day people were constantly telling me there was an electrical problem. And no one has ever flashed me for having them on during the day.
    Agree 100%
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.