Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer prep/destination fees

If some of you would look up your original bill of sale and assist me I would appreciate it. I know they vary state to state.
    I just want to know what the average amount for those fees are?
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I do know that BRP charges the dealers freight and I believe that for an RT to Las Vegas it was around $800. Dealer prep varies greatly and would be negotiable.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Zero, zip, NADA
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Dealers are kind of at liberty to charge whatever the market will bare. We were at 2 dealers today. One wanted over twice what the other wanted for freight and set up. Generally a good guess is that whatever they are charging you is double their cost. A smart dealer will charge you whatever it costs them and sell more units and expand their customer base. If this seems a bit unbelievable, watch the lines at 2 difference gas stations close together. The one that prices their gas 2 cents cheaper will have cars lined up for a $.40 savings for a 20 gallon tank of gas.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I got mine with no freight or set up fee's.

Spyder Garage

My assembly cost was $100.00 here in CT. No freight charge. Delivery to my home was also $100.00.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I bought my 2014 RT limited with NO SET UP, FREIGHT OR ANY OTHER SILLY ADD ONS.. I might suggest ... do your homework... get firm prices from other dealers... there are some "internet" dealers that compete for business... spend a little time and call dealers that will negotiate.. then decide if you want to haggle with your local dealer or buy elsewhere... GOOD LUCK

osm
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 02-10-2015 at 08:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    If some of you would look up your original bill of sale and assist me I would appreciate it. I know they vary state to state.
    I just want to know what the average amount for those fees are?
    Just like MSRP, dealer prep and destination fees are negotiable. I doubt you will find any 'standard' amount charged. On my last bill for two RT's there was no dealer or destination charge listed but trust me, they got the money in the deal somehow.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I have never paid those fees, sticker on my fz6r was around 7500 and i paid 6300 no set up or freight. Usually the only time they can stick you with them is if you don't negotiate or its a brand new, hard to get model that they have multiple buyers for, just like you should never have to pay full sticker price unless the same situation. IMO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There's a reason

dealers are nicknamed stealers. Dealers can sell anything they have for what ever they want. Many may BS you and tell you they have restrictions on certain inventory, but again that's all hot air. They are salesmen/women, don't forget that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Just like MSRP, dealer prep and destination fees are negotiable. I doubt you will find any 'standard' amount charged. On my last bill for two RT's there was no dealer or destination charge listed but trust me, they got the money in the deal somehow.

The dealer "gets theirs" through many different ways. Mine works off of MSRP vs. trade in value. Lots of room to play games here. Bottom line, the difference you pay or the cash amount you pay should be agreeable to you when it is time to seal the deal.

No matter how good a deal, I always know the dealer did just fine thank you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The car dealer I work for the freight is in the retail cost.no add on.set up or pdi is included in the retail cost because we can't sell a car without setting it up so how can we add it?I asked my can-am dealer how they add freight and setup and filing fees.they said it's not included I said BS

Spyder Garage

Its all crap

But I am very happy cruising down the road
    Tom Petty,Bob Seger,Reo, Grand Funk

And Linda all with me

1st gear
    Its All right
    3rd gear
    Faster------

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Zero, zip, NADA
    I agree. These are charges including others that should never be a burden on the buyer. There are many others also that some dealers try to add on. Thats when I walk out the door. I take the list price and deduct 20%. At this they are still making a profit. Call Louis Motorsports in Texas, find out there price and either buy from them or get a price match from your dealer. At $130 per hour they can make there profit from warranty and shop charges.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

i can see destination fees, after all you ordered it and it was shipped. but dealer prep i feel is wrong.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I agree

Bottom line to though is to be happy & enjoy after its all said & done

Siding on our house was defective
    After 8 years started rotting

I found out to late about civil lawsuit etc
    Missed thousands of $ by 6 days---

After I chilled out about it found a contractor who needed work & did an awesome job very v er y reasonably

Well --
    Done preachin I guess

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Before I bought my Spyder the first dealer I went to wanted to charge me $3100 in freight and set up fees....needless to say I didn't buy from that dealer.
    2014 RT Limited , Black Current (blacked out trim)

Spyder Garage

i have heard of 2200 dollars for slingshot shipping and handling, could that be
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

On my 2012, my dealer charged me nothing for freight and setup. They also gave me a great price on my trade.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS IS GONNA KILL ME BUT

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I agree. These are charges including others that should never be a burden on the buyer. There are many others also that some dealers try to add on. Thats when I walk out the door. I take the list price and deduct 20%. At this they are still making a profit. Call Louis Motorsports in Texas, find out there price and either buy from them or get a price match from your dealer. At $130 per hour they can make there profit from warranty and shop charges.

Jack
    ......The mark-up is actually closer to 30 % on Spyder's and Shipping is totally fictitious.......This is a dealer add-on, just ask them to prove they PAID it to BRP and see what their response is ...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ......The mark-up is actually closer to 30 % on Spyder's and Shipping is totally fictitious.......This is a dealer add-on, just ask them to prove they PAID it to BRP and see what their response is ...................Mike
    There ya go Mike you did it. Now that was not so bad was it! Even the difference between 20% and 30% leaves a 10% profit. They would still be making $2200 if you offered to buy at a 20% discount. Then there is their add ons which you should never pay. I have a friend who tried to buy a Harley from Ride Now. He had me check the paper work and they had (can you believe) $8000 worth of add ons, one of which was salesman com. Needless to say we walked.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    There ya go Mike you did it. Now that was not so bad was it! Even the difference between 20% and 30% leaves a 10% profit. They would still be making $2200 if you offered to buy at a 20% discount. Then there is their add ons which you should never pay. I have a friend who tried to buy a Harley from Ride Now. He had me check the paper work and they had (can you believe) $8000 worth of add ons, one of which was salesman com. Needless to say we walked.

Jack
    Actually Jack, what I meant was 30 % was the " PROFIT MARGIN "...ie. the dealer cost is 30 % lower than the M.S.R.P.......and that's what the dealer pays BRP for the Spyder .................IMHO.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually Jack, what I meant was 30 % was the " PROFIT MARGIN "...ie. the dealer cost is 30 % lower than the M.S.R.P.......and that's what the dealer pays BRP for the Spyder .................IMHO.....Mike
    Point well taken.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Berts Mega Mall in Covina, Calif had a price tag on a Spyder. It showed $2,000 dealer prep. I didn't even talk to a salesman. With that kind of gouging, I just walked away.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Berts Mega Mall in Covina, Calif had a price tag on a Spyder. It showed $2,000 dealer prep. I didn't even talk to a salesman. With that kind of gouging, I just walked away.
    I am thinking I would say something just to let them know I don't believe in dealer prep and that would cause me to walk and warn at least 10 of my friends about their price gouging.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red