Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Well, that's off my shoulders.

Finally got a chance to see and sit on the F3! Took less than 2 minutes to say, "Nope, not for me!" Jennifer sat on the passenger seat portion and she said, "There is no way I will ride behind you on this!" I am glad that the F3 is getting so great reviews, but it's not for us. We are long riders and there is no way we could do an Iron Butt on the F3. So I guess it's keep the 2010 RT or get another RT BareBone. Ride safe!
    Last edited by Dudley; 02-09-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

I had a chance to sit on one, and actually take it for a spin. It was fun, but it definitely doesn't fit our riding style either.

I guess we'll just have to stick with our 2015 RT-S Special Series. LOL!
    +Peace,

Deke

2105 RT-S SE5 Special Series (current)
    2012 RT A&C SE5 (previous)

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

little tougher to step down to an F3 than start with it or move up to it. I'm an RS type love it with no interest in going to a cruiser. Glad you got to check it out and didn't leap before you looked..great machine with a lot of followers and many match up perfectly...enjoy your ryde and keep on smiling...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default U-Fit is a ergonomic system . . . . .

. . . . not a promise.

Dudley, I couldn't agree more - the F3 Spyder is NOT for everyone. I've met several riders over the years that I would bet couldn't even get on one.

I will always remember your 2008 cross country trip - that was so cool, and a big "Thanks" for including all of Spyderlovers on your adventure. As much as I loved that, I am sure that I will not do that myself. Not really my kind of ride anymore. I am more for day trips and one night stay overs now - and I have never liked having passengers.

I would bet that there will be plenty of people who do long tours on an F3 and have a blast, but I won't be one of them. The F3 feels like it was made for me and I have plenty to still see here in NM and the rest of the 4 Corners area ( and maybe some Texas Hill Country, too ). For me, the F3 is perfect. And while the RT fits you and Jennifer to a 'T', I look and feel like a trained monkey on one. ( I also do on an F3, but nobody notices - they are too busy looking at the bike )

Glad you got the chance to get that out of your system and see what the new kid on the block was all about.

Take care.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Betty Grable versus Jayne Mansfield.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default If the F3 was for everyone....

BRP could discontinue all the other models. Never going to happen. The F3 is for people who DON'T want the other models.

Just another tool in the box...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Different strokes, for different folks...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

local dealer offered demo rides a couple weeks back.. I was able to ride an F-3... I was curious to see what all the hoop-la was about.. after a 20 minute spin.... I knew the F-3 was NOT for me.. will stick with my 2014 RT limited..

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Sat on One Saturday

I went to Findlay Ohio and sat on the one my dealer , American Powersports has. Its a silver with red frame F3-S SM6 and I thought it was a sharp looking machine. Much better looking in person. I liked the cruiser riding position but that's what I'm used to. I demoed two RTs in the last two years, a 2013 and a 2014 and I just wasn't that comfortable nor did I care for the styling or the side loading saddlebags. I like the U-Fit system and the fact the F3 can be configured in many different ways, much like a motorcycle. Different strokes for different folks.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Same here.F3 NOT for me.But that's ok.People will buy it.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

I know of four RT riders that have traded in for the F3. All of them are the younger group. It's not for everyone and that's a good thing.

Erick traded in his decked out RT for one two days ago and on his 300 mile ride home said it was the most fun he had on a Spyder and the windshield worked great.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Finally got a chance to see and sit on the F3! Took less than 2 minutes to say, "Nope, not for me!" Jennifer sat on the passenger seat portion and she said, "There is no way I will ride behind you on this!" I am glad that the F3 is getting so great reviews, but it's not for us. We are long riders and there is now way we could do an Iron Butt on the F3. So I guess it's keep the 2010 RT or get another RT BareBone. Ride safe!
    I agree with you, Dudley. Joyce and I got to see and sit on one at the trade show in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and it's not for us, either. I've never cared for the feet forward riding position but I can see that taller riders might like it. We don't ride as many miles as you and Jennifer do but we ride enough that the comfort of the RT is what we enjoy. I still can't make up my mind to trade for a '14 or '15. My 2010 still runs really good and it's paid for and only has 40,000 miles on it. It ought to be good for 160,000 more, shouldn't it?

I agree with Tom in NM that there's a lot of beautiful country to see in NM, trouble is it's about 500 miles northwest of us.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

I've always considered it a "day bike". I like the storage on the RT. But that's just me...

Spyder Garage

Default Beautiful, vivid red!

Once again, the internet disappoints for color accuracy. The red on the BRP site looks a bit washed out. Not so with the pic above...that red is regal!
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Really really REALLY can't wait to ride one.

I'm definitely a "standard" guy-- modified my RS to an RT/ST-like position early on-- but I wasn't offended by sitting on the F3 at the motorcycle show. It felt plenty comfortable to me (especially that cannonball seat ), just different.

The thing I don't like about cruiser bikes-- the lack of confidence that comes from slowly maneuvering two-wheels while my feet are splayed forward versus straight beneath me-- is unlikely to be a factor for something I can't drop.

That said, I really need that dang demo ride before I can judge. Right now, my local dealer isn't lining up a demo day before *April*, grrr.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

i test rode one a couple months ago, i really liked the easy way you could move the pegs and bars to your liking with minimal effort, i liked it was fast and handled great. But its like a completely naked bike for a boat load of money. If you wanted to "tour" it up which is all dealer add on stuff later they said about another 5-6k and i just think its too much money. I do hope it sells well for them though so they continue to try new models.

Spyder Garage

It really is different strokes for different folks. Very glad there is another choice (F3) for those who want something a bit different from the current offerings.

I am a dyed in the wool RT type of person. I made my 2008 and 2009 into RT's before the real thing came out. The "real" RT ended up with more of a "tourer" type handling though, compared to the GS/RS versions.

I will not get a chance to test sit an F3 for a couple months yet, but am still thinking that the 2014 will be my final . That said, I am very happy with both RT's that I own and plan to make them both into high mileage machines this go around.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Is it made for Touring?

I've said before, you really need to ryde one! I wasn't a big fan of the f3. Then I rode one....Big Fan Now!!!
    Ryding one MAY change your mind about 'em. Did for me....
    That said, I/m not sure how "Touring" would feel on one. If someone would let me borrow theirs for a few weeks and I'll let you all know!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Test rode one

the other day. I had this almost irresistible compulsion to take it out in the dirt and play with it. But in the end I'm and RT guy. Those rototilling the real estate days are behind me now.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It would be a great bike in the mountain and country twisties but a lousy bike across the hot, windy desert. It has a small frunk so grocery shopping and Del Taco runs would be tough.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

They are definitely better looking in person, but i am all about the comfort the RT series gives me .................... So, no F3 for me.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    It would be a great bike in the mountain and country twisties but a lousy bike across the hot, windy desert. It has a small frunk so grocery shopping and Del Taco runs would be tough.
    Good burritos, but ...How much Del Taco do you get???
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

I love my 2014 RT but would like a little more sportiness. I test drove the F3 and while it is a ton of fun it just doesn't have the comfort nor the storage space I am looking for. I test drove the 2014 ST and loved the ride. Unfortunately the current ST does not have the 1330 and I am totally sold on that engine and transmission. I will wait and see if BRP will either put the 1330 in the ST or, if they can not because of design issues, then a ST type bike with the 1330. If they do then I will be first in line to trade.

Spyder Garage

From Erick's FB post
    First long trip report on the F3-S:
    300 mile ride back home.
    Best... Ride... EVER!
    The Blue Ridge Parkway windshield was a great choice! No wind buffeting, even with an open faced helmet the windshield did a great job protecting the upper body from the high winds.
    Comfort was superb! The bad part was actually stopping for restroom breaks. Otherwise I could have done more miles continuously.
    Handling was incredible! This is truly a trike with a soul of a bike!
    Milage was around 31 mpg. Started at a full tank, filled after 136 miles with 4.6 gallons (capacity of 7.1) and did the rest of the trip with around 1/4 marking left on the fuel gauge. In conclusion: BRP not only hit a home run with the F3... It pretty much wrote itself into the Hall of Fame!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome to New Mexico!

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    For me, you are half right . . . . the F3 also seems to love the desert runs. We will see about the 'hot' part this Summer.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.