Thread: Stuck fuel cap

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Stuck fuel cap

2012 RTL 7500 miles. This afternoon we stoped for gas in Disney World Florida, fuel cap would not unscrew (just clicked). After about 20 minutes and dousing it with cold water it finally came off. Do I need a new cap? Any thoughts?

BTW stoped at Central Florida Power Sports to check out the F3, turned around and the wife was setting in a Slingshot with a smile.
    Last edited by Frank G; 02-07-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Happened to us too!

The fuel cap, that is. We had driven our 2011 RT-S SE5 on our first long trip and after about 100 miles in 85° sunny weather, pulled in for gas and the stoooopid cap wouldn't come off, just clicked like an expensive party favor. The Spyder smelled very strong of gas. Pulled away from the pump and messed with it for about 45 minutes and the stoooopid cap finally came off. I could then hear the gasoline boiling inside the explosive chamber Can-Am calls a gas tank.

Wife wants to stick with 3 wheels so traded the fireball-waiting-to-happen in on a 2014. World of difference.

I hope the NHTSA does a thorough job and the pre-2014 owners get reasonable relief.

Oh, and I think our sucky Spyder pulled a vacuum that prevented the cap from coming off. If it had happened again I was going to use my Leatherman to make a hole in the cap to release the Spyder's suckeniss. I don't think the gasoline fumes could have gotten any worse.

Ask me sometime how I really feel...
    Last edited by WA5VHU; 02-07-2015 at 11:02 PM.
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Boiling gas inside the tank is no brainer and the click click sound not for me. Sounds like it's ready to go off. I'll be scare ignition might be strayed somewhere.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

there have been issues with the caps and a recall. You could check by vin# if yours was done. If it happens if you squeeze the sides while turning like a medicine bottle you will be able to remove the cap...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Up date....there were no gas fumes or boiling gas. I have never had any issues with the gas fumes. It has the new style gas cap.

Thanks to everyone who are responding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can am gas caps are known for sticking. It has nothing to do with anything except the quality of the cap itself.
    You will weaken the cap if you tighten it to the point of it clicking and they can be tough to get off after awhile.
    Personally I only snug down my cap just before the clicks and don't have any issues. There is no reason to tighten the gas cap like a gorilla.

Spyder Garage

Default Yes AND NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there have been issues with the caps and a recall. You could check by vin# if yours was done. If it happens if you squeeze the sides while turning like a medicine bottle you will be able to remove the cap...
    Recalled/replaced gas cap, yes.

Squeeze sides, along with all the suggestions from wife and I plus all other folks passing by, no! Just wait for the gas tank to stop sucking.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Can am gas caps are known for sticking. It has nothing to do with anything except the quality of the cap itself.
    You will weaken the cap if you tighten it to the point of it clicking and they can be tough to get off after awhile.
    Personally I only snug down my cap just before the clicks and don't have any issues. There is no reason to tighten the gas cap like a gorilla.
    Gas caps are made to click to assure the user they have been properly tightened.

From my 2011 Spyder's Owners Manual:

Gas Cap OM.JPG

So you will weaken the cap if you follow the manual?
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe but mine really pulled a vacuum...

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The Can-Am gas caps may be known for sticking due to their apparent poor quality but when mine finally turned loose it sounded like opening a bottle of pop, except it didn't blow, it sucked. It actually happened twice on warm days and lucky for us we hadn't gone that far the second time so we only had to wait about 10 minutes.

Perhaps my previous Spyder was the only one that pulled a vacuum when it got hot?
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You've got something else going on. The emissions system on the spyder is not like a car. It does not pressurize/test the tank and there certainly shouldn't be vacuum on the tank.
    The spyder system is always open to the atmosphere through the canister.

As for tightening the cap. You can crank on that cap all you want, but your asking for problems doing it that way. Just snug it.
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-08-2015 at 10:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Solved my problem with a Stant 10833
    3:16