Spyder Garage

Default Following up on my first F3 impressions

After a few hundred miles:

• I am probably getting at least 5mpg more than the ST-S. I expect this to get better.
    • The F3 'boot-up' to start is less than 3 seconds. A+
    • Night riding is great - much more light than the ST-S, better focus, gauges look very good.
    • During the day, in bright light, the LCD gauge is not easy to see.
    • The passenger sensor cable is awkward when opening the tool boot ( which is also awkward to close and lock ).
    • Still adjusting to being lower - everything seems faster than on the ST-S. ( though, it is faster than the ST-S )
    • Take-off from a start to 45mph is smoooooooth and quick. Feels effortless.
    • Handling above 55mph is quick, assured and stable. Very responsive.
    • Turn signals work much better than on the ST-S, but that may be because it can corner much sharper.
    • The throttle feels more like my cabled GS, than the ST-S. I always felt the ST-S throttle was overly sensitive and took a lot of adjustment to get used to it.
    • Got stuck in a horrendous stop-and-go-a-few-feet traffic jam for 45 minutes - it was mid-50s out, the fan came on a couple of times for short periods. The temp gauge never went above normal. Didn't feel hot.
    • Corners, sharp ones, are amazing - like you are on rails. 45 degrees at 20 - 25 mph, no nanny and full control. So nice.
    • After a salt, sand, slush, mud coating - the cleanup (exposed engine) was much better and easier that I expected. Though, there are a lot of places that are hard to get to.
    • When shifting from Reverse or Neutral into First, you must be stopped and pressing the brake. You can shift into Reverse if you are rolling and the brake is not required.
    • Shifting from Reverse to First is one shift - you cannot shift into Neutral from Reverse - you go to First and then must downshift. I will get used to that, but I used to always leave the ST-S in Neutral, I can't tell you how many times I have left the F3 in First when turning it off - and then wondering later why it isn't starting when I hit the starter button.
    • It is not Yellow ( I loved the yellow on the ST-S ) and the red frame looks orange to me. ( I will fix both of those )
    • I keep on looking for the Parking Brake on the center console, not on the handlebars. ( but I like it there better )
    • The suspension is real different - smoother in most conditions, but occasionally it will bump me up off the seat. Overall better than my stock ST-S, just different.
    • It has been cool, but I have not smelled any gas fumes. ( maybe it is not a Spyder? )
    • The Cruiser foot-up will turns my pants into an air-scoop - thrilling on those cold wet rides.
    • Putting in gas is pretty easy and clean - I miss the clicking gas cap. At gas stations, if someone was looking at the Spyder when I was filling it up, I would always finish by "Winding it up, for the extra MPGs." ( hey, I thought it was funny )
    • Shifting and motor revs are great - 6th gear feels so good, the power is there, but the torque whine is gone.

OK, so here is what I think most people should pay attention to when taking a Demo ride or looking at one at the dealership.

Getting On and Off - real different from a ST-S. I am fine with it and getting faster and more graceful ( I hope ) but, I would guess that some riders will have a tough time adjusting to it. I will be putting a 'stirrup' on mine. I am using the passenger pegs for the "up and over" part of the mount - then stepping/sliding down to the rider pegs and "sliding in". The seat feels great ( your butt's mileage may be different ). No more just hopping off & on while it is still rolling. It almost feels like you have a seat belt on - no sliding around.

Windshield sort-of-is. I am 5'7", I have the Blue Ridge shield. Sitting, my chin is above the top of the shield. Cruisers don't have windshields ( not the real ones ) - so you are getting more protection, but it may not be enough for a lot of riders. It is A LOT better than the shield-less demo ride I took. The rider envelope does go over ( just ) my head, but you get wind in the face. I don't wear a helmet, but I may get one that fits me better than my current one. Goggles are a must for me, until then. All that being said - I am actually getting to like it - but the bugs have not arrived yet. My guess, the windshield will be the Number 1 mod most people will do. Personally, I would want a better shield and/or helmet on for distance rides.

So, even though it is not Yellow, I am going to keep it. I loved my GS and ST-S, but the F3 performs like how I thought a Spyder should when I first saw it.

I am going for a ride now - later!

Tom
    Last edited by Tom in NM; 02-05-2015 at 12:22 AM. Reason: typo
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions of the F3. It sounds like a very good version of the

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks..!!

very thorogh review. Thanks for taking valuable ryding time to post this for us....now enjoy the open road...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default FANTASTIC

FANTASTIC REVIEW......
    I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY WHEN I PICK MINE UP.......
    dp

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all for taking the time to read my opinions

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    FANTASTIC REVIEW......
    I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY WHEN I PICK MINE UP.......
    dp
    If you only enjoy it half as much as I do mine, you are in for a big treat!

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Waiting for your daily posts

[QUOTE=Tom in NM;931248

So, even though it is not Yellow, I am going to keep it. I loved my GS and ST-S, but the F3 performs like how I thought a Spyder should when I first saw it.

I am going for a ride now - later!

Tom[/QUOTE]
    tom
    i wait for your daily report, thanks for sharing

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Spyder Garage

Tom,
    It is great to know that my first spyder is one that previous spyder owners are very happy with, too.
    I can only compare it to my past bikes, but I agree with you that it is quick, very responsive and comfortable.
    The made thing for me is my rides so far have been pain free, and that never happened on my last two bikes.
    Having a bad back sucks, but finding a great riding bike like this means I can continue to enjoy the wind in my face.
    Great write up and thanks for the webpage of the owners manual.
    Still smiling
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Thank you for this post. Very informative and helpful to a current RS owner.
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Spyder Garage

Another enjoyable read. Tom, you do great at explaining your thoughts. I'll be placing my order in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Looking at the F3. Don't really like the fenders on the F3-S. Thanks again for the nice read.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel