Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Carrying Concealed

I work nights ryding through some of the not nicest neighborhoods in the world. I have also taken trips out of town by myself. Need some wisdom from fellow ryders that carry. I am working towards getting my license and saving up to purchase a weapon. I am leaning towards a S & W Model 60, chambers either .38 or .357. Where do you carry? In a holster on your person, in a bag on top of the glove box, in a holder on top of the dash, etc.??? I know a revolver makes it not as easy to conceal. I hope and to not be in a situation that I would need it - however, the crap does occasionally hit the fan. Any suggestions and words of wisdom would be most welcome!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2" or 3" barrel?
    Get the "Rounded Butt" version: it'll make the grip area a bit more compact.
    Since I rarely tuck in my shirts; I'm a big fan of carrying a handgun in a "small of the back" style holster.
    (Mine is from Galco)
    My Colt 1911A-1 happily rides back there, and is virtually unnoticeable.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    I work nights ryding through some of the not nicest neighborhoods in the world. I have also taken trips out of town by myself. Need some wisdom from fellow that carry. I am working towards getting my license and saving up to purchase a weapon. I am leaning towards a S & W Model 60, chambers either .38 or .357. Where do you carry? In a holster on your person, in a bag on top of the glove box, in a holder on top of the dash, etc.??? I know a revolver makes it not as easy to conceal. I hope and to not be in a situation that I would need it - however, the crap does occasionally hit the fan. Any suggestions and words of wisdom would be most welcome!
    I would not carry a handgun in any sort of bag or other arrangement affixed to the bike, if your primary goal is to protect yourself or passenger from death or great bodily harm. If you are separated from the bike (say, for an example, as in a vehicular hijacking or some other attack that knocks or otherwise causes you to be off the bike), your handgun is worthless to you and may well fall into the hands of your assailant. A handgun properly and securely concealed on your person remains under your control and subject only to your commands. Whatever you decide to do, make sure that you are always fully compliant with the laws of any jurisdiction that you may be riding in.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

3 inch barrel - grip does look roundedIMG_0060-1024x764.jpg
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I'm also NOT a fan of packing the handgun away: Gloria LeMaster makes some gorgeous carry-concealed handbags...
    The Missus has a pair of them!
    Check with Galco, and see if they've got an "SOB" holster that'll work for you.

EDIT: I just checked Galco's site, and they don't offer an SOB holster for a 3" barreled J-Frame...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-04-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SDM View Post
    I work nights ryding through some of the not nicest neighborhoods in the world. I have also taken trips out of town by myself. Need some wisdom from fellow ryders that carry. I am working towards getting my license and saving up to purchase a weapon. I am leaning towards a S & W Model 60, chambers either .38 or .357. Where do you carry? In a holster on your person, in a bag on top of the glove box, in a holder on top of the dash, etc.??? I know a revolver makes it not as easy to conceal. I hope and to not be in a situation that I would need it - however, the crap does occasionally hit the fan. Any suggestions and words of wisdom would be most welcome!

Here are our traveling companions of choice.

Hers (left) is a S&W .357 Magnum that she keeps in a slide holster belted around her waist.

Mine is a Sig Sauer 938 9 mm. I keep mine in the inside pocket of my leather jacket in cooler weather and in summer months in a waist holster that slides on my belt.

Both are lightweight although the S&W is a bit heavier. She also has LadySmith .38 that is a bit lighter but the kickback from a very light hand gun makes it hard for her to stay on target.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

My carry system of choice is a Glock 26 carried in my waist band. I prefer the horsehide crossbreed supertuck deluxe holster.

It's comfortable and doesn't print which is a ++++.
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Something to think about, find a gun class that results in a Utah concealed permit, its good in 30+ states. I've carried for 30 years 99% on my body. I picked up a "specialty gun" that shoots a bullet that will tear off an arm if you hit them in the finger. Its only 4" long. I also have a 2" 38 near by.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default SDM

NO MOTORCYCLE RIDERS, TRUCK DRIVERS, etc. carry a weapon.....
    ssssssssssh boy...

9mm semi-auto load if you happen to really need one... Kel-Tec PF9 is a good one... with a 'belt clip'.... but heck, i'm just guessing here.....
    Dan P
    Certified Advanced Small Arms Instructor, NRA
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Me too. Got certified back in the late eighties...
    NRA Benefactor.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Something to think about, find a gun class that results in a Utah concealed permit, its good in 30+ states. I've carried for 30 years 99% on my body. I picked up a "specialty gun" that shoots a bullet that will tear off an arm if you hit them in the finger. Its only 4" long. I also have a 2" 38 near by.
    The only problem with the Utah (which I had) is that I cannot renew unless I have a CCW from my home state. Thus, I just gave up on the Utah one and went and got my MO one.

SpyderLady

Spyder Garage

If you can handle the kickback, go for the 357. Or try using the 38 special in your 357...(some can handle both)

Read this.....very good information for self defense:
    http://gundata.org/blog/post/best-ha...-self-defense/

Spyder Garage

I have found that this http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/ is the best holster for all around use. I tuck the plug end of my ear buds under the flap and it looks like a big phone case. I have one sized for Kahr PM9 and another for the XD40 Sub Compact that also fits the Taurus .357 snub nose DAO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ChicoFowler View Post
    If you can handle the kickback, go for the 357. Or try using the 38 special in your 357...(some can handle both)

Read this.....very good information for self defense:
    http://gundata.org/blog/post/best-ha...-self-defense/

Just carry whichever one you can shoot the best; the round itself is only a secondary concern...

Spyder Garage

I've been at it for 60 years and here's my thoughts: If you've not done any/much shooting you need to go to a range where they rent guns and try out several types to see what feels best to you. If necessary, get someone there to tutor you a bit. I wouldn't suggest starting out with a heavy weapon unless you are certain you can carry that comfortably all day.

Then consider how you want to carry it. I use OWB as about anything bigger than a tiny 380 sags my pockets too much. If you use OWB holster, get a wide stiff belt. Makes it way more comfortable.

For a newbi, a revolver is hard to beat. Its gonna fire every time you pull the trigger. Most autoloaders do too, but can
    be more problematic for beginners.

I carried a Ruger LCR 38spl for a good while....very light, can shoot +P bullets. Stings the hand, even with regular loads, but does the job. A five shot, very lightweight, about 17 oz. ABout $350.

I recently transitioned back into autoloaders. Lots of excellent ones out there. One I used was a Ruger LC9s...a 9mm, 17oz empty, fires any bullet without fail, right out of the box. Hard to beat product. About $360.

I'm currently carrying, at various times, 3 Kahr's: a 380, 9mm, 45acp. Holds 7, 8, 7 bullets. About 12, 17 & 21 oz empty. I like their long smooth trigger. They are not for everyone and can be problematic until they've been shot a lot to break-in. I had no issues with any of mine, but a few folks do. Each of these cost from $340-375 approx.

Another outstanding 9mm also in the 17oz range is the S&W Shield. Gets rave reviews on gun forums. About $360 also.

Same weight but less expensive and gets good reviews is the Bursa Thunder 380. Made in Argentina or Brazil I think. Under $300. Find used for $250 or less.

Don't underestimate the 380. It will penetrate gelatin 8-10 inches. I can carry mine all day and not know its there. The 9mm carry's well too but you know you've got more weight and have to hitch the belt a notch tighter.

Get on Highroad gun forum and start reading up. Go to gun shows and fondle the products.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Glock .40
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have found that this http://www.sneakypeteholsters.com/ is the best holster for all around use. I tuck the plug end of my ear buds under the flap and it looks like a big phone case. I have one sized for Kahr PM9 and another for the XD40 Sub Compact that also fits the Taurus .357 snub nose DAO.
    I use the Sneaky Pete holsters too.

One thing to add to this thread is once you get your gun and permit, don't forget to get some frequent range time in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I've been at it for 60 years and here's my thoughts: If you've not done any/much shooting you need to go to a range where they rent guns and try out several types to see what feels best to you. If necessary, get someone there to tutor you a bit. I wouldn't suggest starting out with a heavy weapon unless you are certain you can carry that comfortably all day.

Then consider how you want to carry it. I use OWB as about anything bigger than a tiny 380 sags my pockets too much. If you use OWB holster, get a wide stiff belt. Makes it way more comfortable.

For a newbi, a revolver is hard to beat. Its gonna fire every time you pull the trigger. Most autoloaders do too, but can
    be more problematic for beginners.

I carried a Ruger LCR 38spl for a good while....very light, can shoot +P bullets. Stings the hand, even with regular loads, but does the job. A five shot, very lightweight, about 17 oz. ABout $350.

I recently transitioned back into autoloaders. Lots of excellent ones out there. One I used was a Ruger LC9s...a 9mm, 17oz empty, fires any bullet without fail, right out of the box. Hard to beat product. About $360.

I'm currently carrying, at various times, 3 Kahr's: a 380, 9mm, 45acp. Holds 7, 8, 7 bullets. About 12, 17 & 21 oz empty. I like their long smooth trigger. They are not for everyone and can be problematic until they've been shot a lot to break-in. I had no issues with any of mine, but a few folks do. Each of these cost from $340-375 approx.

Another outstanding 9mm also in the 17oz range is the S&W Shield. Gets rave reviews on gun forums. About $360 also.

Same weight but less expensive and gets good reviews is the Bursa Thunder 380. Made in Argentina or Brazil I think. Under $300. Find used for $250 or less.

Don't underestimate the 380. It will penetrate gelatin 8-10 inches. I can carry mine all day and not know its there. The 9mm carry's well too but you know you've got more weight and have to hitch the belt a notch tighter.

Get on Highroad gun forum and start reading up. Go to gun shows and fondle the products.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I'm going to a place called Quickshot. Shot the .38/.357 Saturday. Will try the semi auto this coming Saturday. The reason for the revolver is: The hubby (Tobor 9) had a semi auto that he was plinking with one day. He pulled the trigger and it went full auto on him!!! Pretty much scared the crap out of him. Of course, that was a long time ago and things have changed since then in the use of materials.

Spyder Garage

Default PROTECTON ISSUE

When my wife and I travel,I carry(were I'm legal)and even when alone, a 9mm S&W M&P sheild in a soft IWB BLACKHAWK #1 holster. Problem I worry about is being in a crash and being thrown due to the fact that this holster is very comfortable wearing my riding gear but has no retention device and heaven forbid someone else finds my weopon. No problems as of yet and I hope it stays that way. Good Luck and Stay Safe!

Spyder Garage

the real answer is carry whatever you feel comfortable with and that you have qualified with. then practice, practice and more practice.

if you looking a semi's then I'd look at Glock or S&W M&P. I owned a lot of guns over the years. I loved my Glocks ... well until I ended up getting a S&W Shield in 9mm. I really, really like this gun and it's hard to beat the price. IMO it's far superior to the Ruger LC9 (which I owned for about 3 months before selling it). It is super easy to carry concealed.

as far as holsters you need to try several before you find one that you like. whether you are going IWB (inside the waist band) or OWB (outside the waist band). while the weather is nice and cold, I am always wearing a jacket so I have opted for going with a shoulder holster while riding. In the warmer months I normally go with an OWB and just leave my shirt tail out or wear a banded bottom shirt. for work I normally go with an IWB because my shirt is tucked in. you have to learn how to dress while carrying and it does take some practice. you also have to decide if you want leather, kydex or a hybrid (combination of both).

and once you get your holster then you need to go to the range and practice using it. remember you are most likely going to be in a sitting position while on the bike and that changes how you may draw your gun.

one last thing I will tell you. buy yourself a REAL belt to support your holster. if you go cheap then you are going to hate carrying because it will not be comfortable. I have one gun belt that I've had now for 10 years and I wear it several times a week. It still looks great. might want to check out thebeltman.net to see what I am talking about.

Spyder Garage

Default Carrying Concealed

An earlier response mentioned the Sig Sauer P938 9MM. I would agree with this choice or a Beretta PX4 Storm 9MM. I have both of these pistols.
    Reese
    2010 RT-S SE5 Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I have two different riding vests. One leather and the other denim. Both are gun vests. Keeps my 45 secure.
    Caution:When you argue with an idiot,You have to lower your standards and then you get beat by their experience

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will say this: I try to avoid areas where trouble can occur, but that is not always possible. I have been trying to come up with some "goodies".
    I have two items of interest for personal protection in the works. One is a means to carry concealed and have access right at hand and the other is a non lethal force option. I'll post more when we get things ready! I am especially excited about the non-lethal option.