Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fuel type---

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    In addition to the additives, the different brands have different QA checks on the fuel they distribute. Not all gas that comes out of the pipeline is the same, and it does NOT actually mix in the pipeline. They transport all 3 grades and diesel in the same pipeline and know where the cutover points are. Its not all the same spec.
    Fuel is a commodity. Refineries and brands trade fuels all the time. The distribution point closest to me is fed by Conoco/Phillips, Marathon, and Valero. All fuels are made to a specification, and wind up at the distribution point. The difference is only at the point of fill for the transport truck. If 2600 gallons of fuel is to be loaded, 260 gallons of ethanol is loaded first. Then fuel, then the particular brand of fuel's additive. Amoco has Invigorate, Marathon has STP. Phillips 66 did not give a spiffy name to theirs, but they do state that they use 3x the EPA minimum. Shell has VPower. Private branded fuels will get probably the minimum EPA additive. At any given moment, you could have fuel that came from P66 with Invigorate added going to an Amoco station. Or Marathon fuel going to Shell with the VPower add. If BP has a refinery that supplies the distribution point, a BP truck or contractor will take on BP refined fuel, ethanol, and Invigorate. Same if Shell supplies, or Marathon, whoever, generally speaking. As stated, fuel is a commodity, and is traded all the time. You won't see it on the pump for gasoline, it's all about the additive. Some exceptions for diesel. My local BP clearly posts that their diesel is NOT a BP product and has 11% bio mixed in. It could be P66, Valero, or Marathon.
    Pipeline gas is virtually identical, and all of that is a blend of straight run, thermally cracked, reformed, and catalytically cracked, and hydro cracked molecules. Every refiner has multiple capabilities to produce pipeline fuel to the spec, which, around me, is 84 octane regular, and 91 octane premium. Adding the ethanol brings it up to 87 and 93 at the pump. Midgrade 89 is blended at the pump. The stations that sell 91 premium are getting the blend from the distribution point: 35% of 84 octane, 55% of 91 octane, and 10% ethanol. It's just more likely that the fuel you buy will be the cheapest swill that meets the spec vs. some pure, ideal fuel with additives to keep fuel injectors happy, and spinning fuel pumps lubed, while having a perfect burn on every single power stroke.
    All said, buy fuel at busy stations, try and use one of the majors if possible, because they will have decent fuel adds present, and follow the label under the seat for octane recommendations. That's not to say I have not run regular....there have been times that was all the station had. And I noticed no difference in running, but I usually run premium, and when I can get it, boat fuel which is 91 with no ethanol. I add Techron when I think about it, and don't worry too much about it, because I'm going to ride, no matter.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by carbonation View Post
    Fuel is a commodity. Refineries and brands trade fuels all the time. The distribution point closest to me is fed by Conoco/Phillips, Marathon, and Valero. All fuels are made to a specification, and wind up at the distribution point. The difference is only at the point of fill for the transport truck. If 2600 gallons of fuel is to be loaded, 260 gallons of ethanol is loaded first. Then fuel, then the particular brand of fuel's additive. Amoco has Invigorate, Marathon has STP. Phillips 66 did not give a spiffy name to theirs, but they do state that they use 3x the EPA minimum. Shell has VPower. Private branded fuels will get probably the minimum EPA additive. At any given moment, you could have fuel that came from P66 with Invigorate added going to an Amoco station. Or Marathon fuel going to Shell with the VPower add. If BP has a refinery that supplies the distribution point, a BP truck or contractor will take on BP refined fuel, ethanol, and Invigorate. Same if Shell supplies, or Marathon, whoever, generally speaking. As stated, fuel is a commodity, and is traded all the time. You won't see it on the pump for gasoline, it's all about the additive. Some exceptions for diesel. My local BP clearly posts that their diesel is NOT a BP product and has 11% bio mixed in. It could be P66, Valero, or Marathon.
    Pipeline gas is virtually identical, and all of that is a blend of straight run, thermally cracked, reformed, and catalytically cracked, and hydro cracked molecules. Every refiner has multiple capabilities to produce pipeline fuel to the spec, which, around me, is 84 octane regular, and 91 octane premium. Adding the ethanol brings it up to 87 and 93 at the pump. Midgrade 89 is blended at the pump. The stations that sell 91 premium are getting the blend from the distribution point: 35% of 84 octane, 55% of 91 octane, and 10% ethanol. It's just more likely that the fuel you buy will be the cheapest swill that meets the spec vs. some pure, ideal fuel with additives to keep fuel injectors happy, and spinning fuel pumps lubed, while having a perfect burn on every single power stroke.
    All said, buy fuel at busy stations, try and use one of the majors if possible, because they will have decent fuel adds present, and follow the label under the seat for octane recommendations. That's not to say I have not run regular....there have been times that was all the station had. And I noticed no difference in running, but I usually run premium, and when I can get it, boat fuel which is 91 with no ethanol. I add Techron when I think about it, and don't worry too much about it, because I'm going to ride, no matter.
    Thanks, however I have ( almost always ? ) used 87 Oct w/ethyl ( and 1/4 oz. per tank ) in my 1330 eng. .... it runs fine .... and I don't notice the loss of power...... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-18-2023 at 04:06 PM.