Thread: New helmet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New helmet

The wife and I would like some new helmets. We got a couple cheap full face ones the day we bought our first spyder. 3 years later we are ready for something better. Do most people have two helmets? One for hot weather and one for the rest of the time or just one for year round? Let me know your thoughts and why please. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

Scott

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wife and I both have Shoei Neotech helmets. We LOVE them and they work in hot and cold. Our SENA 20S bluetooth comm system fits nicely also. Modular design for easy on / off even with glasses.

Not inexpensive but what is your noggin worth?
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

I have Scorpion convertalbe helmuts, full face with swing up jaw that detaches and coverts the helmut to open face. This works well for winter and spring. in the summer I switch to a half shell for maximum cooling.... Summer...hmmmmmmmmmmm

Spyder Garage

I like my modular I have now BUT you cannot really ride with the chin bar up due to air drag pulling on your head. It's fine in slow traffic but above about 35 MPH no go.

I am looking at this helmet for replacement this year:

It's the only modular I have seen that allows you to really ride open face if you so desire.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I like my modular I have now BUT you cannot really ride with the chin bar up due to air drag pulling on your head. It's fine in slow traffic but above about 35 MPH no go.

It's the only modular I have seen that allows you to really ride open face if you so desire.

Bob
    I have the Shark EVO and love it. As you stated, easy to open and close. The few times I have been caught in the rain I can just flip the chin over and close the visor. The only complaint I would have with it is, I wish it was a little more quiet with the chin down. But can expect much based on how the chin portion works.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Bob
    I am on my second one. I think they are the best. They are not cheap but, one good helmet, to me, is worth a lot more then two lessors ones. I am all the gear all the time kind of guy and have been for years. I believe a full face helmet offers the best protection, however, I will admit at slow speeds (and Parades/processions) in the summer, I ride with the chin bar up and back. the helmet still looks good and can be rode that way. I find the vent system to okay in summer with chin bar down (full face)as long as you are riding at a reasonable speed. Easy to release the chin bar and move up at stops. According the papers, this helmet is certifed as being authorized for racing overseas because of the positive lach for the chin bar.
    Replaced the first one due to age of helmet

Oldmanzues
    I will add this. I have ridden with the chin bar up at freeway speeds. I do not like to. Either I forget to lower it or usualy, on a PGR Mission, we are told that the route will be on city streets, however those "city streets" are sometimes 50 MPH four lanes or even 65 MPH Interstates. Mine also has the clear shield and a Slide down sun shade in the helmet.
    Last edited by Oldmanzues; 02-02-2015 at 11:04 AM.
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Bob
    That's the helmet I have
    And I have it in Orange
    I Believe it is the only Modular helmet that is DOT approved with the chin bar in the open position
    I love my helmet
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

Default Modular for me

I just purchased a Schuberth C3W, which is a women's helmet but an older model. It is very light and is smaller in size than a unisex helmet, meaning less air drag in the wind (big difference!). The Sena comm system fits in/on the Schuberth nicely, and IMHO, this helmet is the quietest one I have ever owned. The lining and air vents seem to offer good ventilation when I want, and warmth when closed up. The sun visor is a must have for any helmet too. The peripheral vision view is critical as I want to be able to constantly check for traffic around and behind me while driving the RT. I prefer the modular helmet for safety versus half helmets, but that's just me.

The downside to a Schuberth can be the price ($$$$), but if you check the local motorcycle stores or at the motorcycle shows or rally's, you may find some good deals. If there aren't many dealers in your area to check out helmets, Revzilla.com customer service really helped me figuring out which helmets would work or not.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion EXO 500 full face (XXXL) now and I like all the features for the price. The flip down sun visor and the great ventilation among them. I am now looking into a modular helmet and the tough part is finding one that fits my big round head. My wife likes the Shark EVO but they don't make a big enough one for me. It will either be an HJC or Scorpion unless something else comes along that fits. Find a helmet that fits well and get that one regardless of the brand. A $700 dollar helmet is no good if it doesn't fit. Just my 2 cents. + 1 on Revzilla
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 02-02-2015 at 11:09 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

have you ever been in a bike shop...the selection of helmets is massive. Quality and safety first. Most brands carry the different styles. We like the modular which works best for us. We have the RS and ryde backroads for most of our rydes but many times freeways on the way home. With the changes (dust, wind, rain, in town traffic etc) its nice to be able to switch from 3/4 to full face. Good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I use HJC modular helmets for most trips. Short trips we use half helmets in the summer. All of the helmets have face guards that are retractable and have drop down sun screens.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Shoei. I had an evo modular (I think they called it 700 or something like that), it fell off the seat of my Tiger 900 at a fuel stop, with chin bar in fully locked position, and chin bar broke clean off.

I rode as far as a cyclegear store and bought my first Shoei. Hit a deer at high speed, Shoei chin and left side had a lot of road rash but I had no head or face damage. Insurance paid for my next Shoei.

Yes this is kinda like an oil thread, but for me, full face, no gimmicks, and they cost some bucks. Same with my woods helmets. I've literally bounced my noggin off a tree with a shoei woods helmet, if it wasn't for a good helmet and full neck/shoulder brace I'd be eatin supper through a straw.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    I just purchased a Schuberth C3W, which is a women's helmet but an older model. It is very light and is smaller in size than a unisex helmet, meaning less air drag in the wind (big difference!). The Sena comm system fits in/on the Schuberth nicely, and IMHO, this helmet is the quietest one I have ever owned. The lining and air vents seem to offer good ventilation when I want, and warmth when closed up. The sun visor is a must have for any helmet too. The peripheral vision view is critical as I want to be able to constantly check for traffic around and behind me while driving the RT. I prefer the modular helmet for safety versus half helmets, but that's just me.

The downside to a Schuberth can be the price ($$$$), but if you check the local motorcycle stores or at the motorcycle shows or rally's, you may find some good deals. If there aren't many dealers in your area to check out helmets, Revzilla.com customer service really helped me figuring out which helmets would work or not.
    The wife and I also have the C3Pro helmets. We got them about 8 months ago and love'em. Yeah you right, they are $$$$, but in all the helmets I've worn over my years, this is the best by far. We also got the integrated bluetooth/intercom to got with them and they work like a charm.

So that's another for the Schuberth.

Spyder Garage

The wife and I both use Arai 3/4 helmets and we both upgraded to the new CT-Z that offers about 90% of the protection of a full face. In fact I purchased 3 as the size small did not fit my wife and I had to go to a size extra small. so if anyone knows of someone who wears a small I will sell it for $400 in pearl white. RevZilla sells them for $548.95.
    Snice I tryied adding foam to the inside (since removed) to make it fit her I am not able to return it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjUV...=85114404#t=22
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Check out the Nolan N-44 helmet. It is a 6 in 1 that can be worn year round.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkansas View Post
    The wife and I would like some new helmets. We got a couple cheap full face ones the day we bought our first spyder. 3 years later we are ready for something better. Do most people have two helmets? One for hot weather and one for the rest of the time or just one for year round? Let me know your thoughts and why please. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

Scott
    Helmets are like seats, you have to shop around to get the right one. Many recommend going to the place and trying the helmets on so that you get the right size and fit. You don't want the helmet coming off when it is needed most.

That said, many of us do have more than one helmet. I have 6 on my shelf at the moment. There are two of us who ride though.

My brand of choice is Nolan. The full face, are modular--meaning that the front opens up for easy on/easy off. All have a drop down inside sun visor, that makes riding on bright days much easier. The faceplate can also be adjusted to allow for some air venting for both hot and cold riding days.

I have two N103 versions. There is a newer N104 version that is somewhat updated and said to give a larger field of vision than the 103.

The other four are N43 and N44 versions. These are open face configurations with face plates that flip up, visor attachments, a drop down sun visor, and the 43 also has a chin bar that can be snapped in if you want the full face set up.

My last purchase was to get one to match my new 2014, even though the other one was only a couple years old.

You can add a Nolan N-Com communication system. They have a blue tooth version for bike to bike. Tried this and did not like it. Sent them back. We have Sena SMH10 communicators on one set of helmets. Not the newest version--but they work well for us and I am not going to change them out until they die. They attach to the Nolans without any issues.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-02-2015 at 07:42 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpio. EXO modular & like it except it's heavy on a long day of riding. I mostly tour with a Shoei full face.

Remember that not all helmets fit alike. You head is probably shaped differently from someone else's, so you should always try on.

Also so consuder features like weight and quietness.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default CYCLE GEAR

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG HERE:
    http://www.cyclegear.com/?gclid=CMCE...FQJqMgodJh4AHg
    I'VE BOUGHT 11 HELMETS FROM THEM, WITH 100% GOOD RESULTS....
    PRICE, QUALITY & FITTING ARE ALWAYS RIGHT... RETURN POLICY IS ALSO TOPS.... ALTHOUGH I'VE NEVER HAD TO RETURN ANY....
    DAN P
    SPYD3R