Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I wouldn't compare the vibrations of the belt on a Spyder vs a Harley. The belt on ANY Spyder is one of the longest belts on a rear belt driven vehicle so without a tensioner/supporting pulley in between, vibrations will be common. I felt a few vibrations on my F3 but nothing to make me panic.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think its a design problem that is ignored by Can Am... if the belt is too long to minimize belt harmonics... Can Am should install a belt dampener...

osm

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration on new F3

Hi all = My first post. Have had new F3 for 2 weeks now & almost broken in. Luv it! Got 30.8 mpg not using eco-mode w/fwy & twisty riding.
    My friends got the same F3 a few days after I did & they both have a fairly significant grinding type vibration. It only occurs in 6th gear around 68 to 70 mph & approx. 6,800 to 7,000 rpm. The reviews I saw prior to purchasing also mentioned it. If anyone improves this situation with a belt tensioner4 or adjustment please advise with all details.
    Thanks, DB Dan

Spyder Garage

Default vibration correction under warranty???

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Non of my three belt drives on my three Harley's ever did that Bob. Nor has any of my belt drives vibrated on my two Spiders. Belt is loose or not aligned properly is the culprit.

Jack
    i have a 2014 Spyder RT Limited and I get this same vibration. I only have 4000 miles. Will BRP warranty cover this?

Spyder Garage

Hello all,
    I finally hit the highway and unfortunately I to have a very bad vibration from 65-73 mph.
    It felt like I was riding on a metal grate, over or under that speed it ways very smooth up to 87 mph then I backed off.
    While slowing down the vibration was there but no where near the same rough feeling.

What needs to be done to eliminate this ????
    2015 F3-S Pearl White SM6 with a 7 Jurock custom windshield, Smooth-Spyder backrest, Shad saddle bags, RT sway bar, Elka stage 2 shocks in front and stage 2 with hyd. adjuster in the rear. Lamonster's LED fog lights, TricLed headlights, TricLed Safety LED package.
    2015 F3S , Black & White

Spyder Garage

Default 1st Step

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    What has your dealer said about this?

tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retired 2012 View Post
    Hello all,
    I finally hit the highway and unfortunately I to have a very bad vibration from 65-73 mph.
    It felt like I was riding on a metal grate, over or under that speed it ways very smooth up to 87 mph then I backed off.
    While slowing down the vibration was there but no where near the same rough feeling.

Any belt this long will have some vibration, most motorcycle guys never notice it because they're use to it on their bikes. As far as eliminating it you can't, you can move it around to a different speed by adjusting your belt tension. More or less will change the RPM it happens at.

Spyder Garage

I fitted a tensioner to mine today, it fit well and was an easy install.
    Unfortunately and surprisingly it didn't do much at all for the vibration that was present between 68-71MPH while accelerating.
    Where 10-14 Lbs. has done wonders for most of the other models, even 20 Lbs didn't make a noticeable difference, maybe due to the larger sprocket or longer belt.
    I'm not done yet, but it isn't looking too promising.F3 tensioner.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I fitted a tensioner to mine today, it fit well and was an easy install.
    Unfortunately and surprisingly it didn't do much at all for the vibration that was present between 68-71MPH while accelerating.
    Where 10-14 Lbs. has done wonders for most of the other models, even 20 Lbs didn't make a noticeable difference, maybe due to the larger sprocket or longer belt.
    I'm not done yet, but it isn't looking too promising.

Have you come up with any solutions? I too have a marked vibration/grinding at around 65-72 mph. It's fairly strong. Annoying but not a big deal, I guess. Would be nice to get rid of if though...
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderyderjim View Post
    Hi,
    My 2014 Spyder RT-S SE6 Jan 30, 2014 had a little bit of the belt making noise/vibration similar to what you are talking about while under power or up hills at speed.
    The belt was adjusted too far/tight to inside of rear pulley and I think set off the belt bouncing around making a little noise.
    The 2014 RT-S was very touchy in adjusting the rear axle, belt side to side adjustment clearance.
    Took me off & on about 1 week adjusting belt side to side rear pulley clearance, until adjusted belt about 1/8" off inside of rear pulley before the noise finally went away.
    No belt vibration or noise in past 17,000 miles on 2014 RT-S SE6.
    Hope this helps others.
    Jim
    Good job! I'm not mechanically inclined as you appear to be. I can't imagine the dealer would be willing to be as patient as you were to find that sweet spot for the belt but good to know! Thanks.
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Spyder Garage

Default CAPTAIN JIM-BELT TENSIONER

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I have a tensioner in the works for the F3, along with a backrest.
    I took the demo from my dealer for a 35 mile ride and the vibration was quite pronounced, my wife even noticed.
    My demo was set in Kilometers and it was around 123-125 which converted to 76-77 MPH.
    My magnesium SM should be here any day, I can hardly wait!
    My LG headset that I had worn around my neck for a year blew off and got ran over in the first mile, I haven't even taken delivery and it's already costing me. It was worth it though.
    Captain Jim,
    put me down for a smooth Spyder Belt Tensioners as soon as they are available for the F3!

Ron

Spyder Garage

My 2014 is just barely broke in good ...and has the belt vibration at 65-75. Does BRP warranty cover this? Like you say, the vibration is annoying for sure. And I figure that vibration over time can't be good for the bike?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    I accepted delivery of my F3S on 1/21/2015 and to date have logged 750 miles. The only complaint I have is the vibration that on my ride starts the buzz in the handlebars and pegs at 64mph gets progressively worse to 72 then starts to lessen and disappears at 74. Does it affect the performance of the bike? No it doesn't. Is it annoying? Absolutely. This is not my first rodeo and I've experienced these harmonic belt vibrations on my 2009 GS, then my 2013 ST Limited. On neither of these Spyders was the vibration as pronounced as it is on the F3. I believe that is probably due to the additional power and torque plus the longer drive belt. I've already had several conversations with Jim at SmoothSpyder, and will be ordering my belt tensioner as soon as they are available. The tensioner on my ST basically reduced the vibration on that motorcycle by 95%. If the tensioner does the same for my F3S, I will be a happy camper. If not, I will learn to accept it as one of the annoying quirks of Spyder ryding. Love my new F3 and I won't let this ruin it for me.
    Well we just got one Friday. It's awesome. That vibration is terrible. You don't spend that kind of money to deal with such a horrible vibration. Can am better figure it out. I wouldn't keep something that didn't ride smooth fr 0-100

Spyder Garage

Default VIBRATION, GRINDING ON F3

Quote Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
    Has anyone noticed a vibration when you roll on the throttle at 67-75..worst mostly at 69ish-71? It is a pretty strong grinding feeling.
    Traded my 2014RT LTD in for F3. RT did the same thing, Smooth`Spyder belt tensioner got rid of 95% of problem. My F3 wasn't doing it much the first 200 miles, at 450 miles, it's very noticeable. I'm thinking maybe belt tension changed as the break`in mileage increased, or maybe I was having so much fun that I didn't notice. At any rate, I just sent Capt. Jim an e`mail wanting a smooth spyder for my new ride. I intend to get one as soon as available. I'm also going to get belt tension checked.

Ron

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ours is brand new. Has a terrible vibration in the 70's. Not happy.

Spyder Garage

Default just asking a question

Are those of you who sound so unhappy with this vibration new to motorcycles?
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Really ?

First of all, belts stretch when they are brand new. Secondly, consider investing in the correct tools to adjust the belt. Finally, look on Amazon for a Gates sonic meter to be able to accurately adjust the belt to factory specs. I did this on my RT and found that the vibration that I used to have wasn't there anymore. Don't know if this works on an F3.

Spyder Garage

Everyone should take it to the dealer when they get enough complaints they will look into some kind of fix.if just a few complain they will say it's normal.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    Are those of you who sound so unhappy with this vibration new to motorcycles?
    No. I ride a Harley. This is my husbands second spyder. The vibration was really bad. Not just a little. It's was really bad. I was on the back. When you spend that much money that thing should be smooth all thru the speeds.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    First of all, belts stretch when they are brand new. Secondly, consider investing in the correct tools to adjust the belt. Finally, look on Amazon for a Gates sonic meter to be able to accurately adjust the belt to factory specs. I did this on my RT and found that the vibration that I used to have wasn't there anymore. Don't know if this works on an F3.
    The can am warrior for the dealer told us to put some miles on it. We will and see if it helps. If not can am needs to make it right.

Spyder Garage

...well, this is a concern for me. I was suppose to go down this morning and purchase an RT.

but, in light of what I read about the vibration I'm backing off. I don't understand why I study
    about the can-am for 6 mths. then decide to get one and the day I'm to get it I read about a
    God aweful vibration at highway speed.

Would this his have been a deal breaker for you all if you would have known about the vibration ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wishey1 View Post
    ...well, this is a concern for me. I was suppose to go down this morning and purchase an RT.

but, in light of what I read about the vibration I'm backing off. I don't understand why I study
    about the can-am for 6 mths. then decide to get one and the day I'm to get it I read about a

Would this his have been a deal breaker for you all if you would have known about the vibration ?
    the vibration that people are talking about are on the F3 and either not all of us have it or not all of us are bothered by it -- not sure which.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Cool

An RT is a different animal! This discussion is centred around the F3 and thus you should go and get your RT!
    I'm going to go with Lamont's opinion and advice. He is a totally reliable authority on this Spyder.
    I expect I'll get the same after a few hundred miles on my F3 (when it bloody well gets here!) but forewarned is
    forearmed and I may well get the belt tension checked and adjusted as necessary until it, and the rest of the F3,
    has broken in. TBH, if it proves to be the nature of the beast then I'll happily live with it.

Spyder Garage

Default get it checked/adjusted

so... my dealership wanted me to come back after my break-in period (after 600 miles) and let them check the F3 out since it was the first one they sold. I did that and they DID adjust the belt tension. Possibly that's why I don't think the vibration is extreme on mine. I do feel a vibration at high speeds, but it's not what I would consider extreme nor do I feel the need to do anything about it -- I'm considering it "normal" belt harmonics and have no complaints.

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not a deal breaker for me, but I fully understand your concerns. I am not aware of an systemic high vibration issues with RTs. From what I have read on this forum the 2014 RT is a very reliable motorcycle and expect the 2015 to be the same.

I am in the process of buying an F3-S. Belt high vibration is an issue being raised by some F3 owners. Does it concern me - only a little. Will there be other issues reported - I would thing so. I am willing to take the risk that issues will be resolved with mine for the reward of a smile on my face every time I ride it.

I knew about vibration, heat and other issues with Spyder's before I purchased my first Spyder in 2008 (first Spyder's made by BRP).
    Lamonster and this website of great members and vendors gave me a confident feeling that most if not all issues could and would be resolved. Has it been smooth sailing for all - no - 2013 RTs heat issues is one example. BRP Recall with hopefully fix (who knows) this problem for those who have suffered for a long time.

I may be one of the lucky ones or maybe the norm - my 2008 Spyder RS has been a true joy overall and I still it enjoy today. Yes, I made changes to the 2008 RS that fixed heat and belt vibration issues - fixes that Lamonster came up with. However, the RS was still enjoyable while going through this process.

It seems that all vehicles have issues for some - just read about the abundant and sometimes major car/truck recalls. There are consumer protection laws - lemon laws/safety boards boards in states that force manufacturers to fix systemic problems in "some cases." Unfortunately not a perfect world. And some get the bad end of the stick.

Only you can make the call - risk/reward in most things one does.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020