Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F4 Custom F3Limited Review

Put the W/S on Wednesday night. Left for our 4 day ride Thursday morning. Did 11 hours to get there in one day. With in 15 minutes of leaving the house the wife exclaimed, "what a diference"! She was ecstatic, no more helmet buffeting, very quiet. I agreed, very quiet, no buffeting for me either. We got the 25" tall W/S based on Don's advice. Also got the vent. The vent made a big difference riding in high 90's and a stretch of 100*........... I look through the shield, 29" inseam. I am fine with that. The shield is so clear. Only downside, the air is so calm. My helmet vents don't get any air. Great job Don! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    We got the 25" tall W/S based on Don's advice. Also got the vent. The vent made a big difference riding in high 90's and a stretch of 100*........... I look through the shield, 29" inseam. I am fine with that. The shield is so clear. Only downside, the air is so calm. My helmet vents don't get any air. Great job Don! Tom
    Thanks Tango. If I go with the F3 Limited, that's the screen I'll be buying. When you say you look through it, how far below the top of the screen are your eyes ? (hope that makes sense). I'm just trying to work out, very roughly, if I would be looking over it.

Pete
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Tom!
    I was waiting to hear how this would work for you...
    If we can get down your way on a weekend; we'll have to take a ride along the Delaware!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Good to Hear.....

Sound like you found the right one. you both had a great ryde so far and are enjoying it. be safe out there and keep on'ing
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Thanks Tango. If I go with the F3 Limited, that's the screen I'll be buying. When you say you look through it, how far below the top of the screen are your eyes ? (hope that makes sense). I'm just trying to work out, very roughly, if I would be looking over it.

Pete
    Pete, I believe I'm looking 2"-3" below the top of the screen. It is super clear. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Sound like you found the right one. you both had a great ryde so far and are enjoying it. be safe out there and keep on'ing
    Gene we just returned from a ride to W. Virginia. Awesome riding roads. Twists, curves, and 9% and 10% grade mountain roads! The F3 was flawless! Tom

Spyder Garage

Default F4 windshield

Put the W/S on Wednesday night. Left for our 4 day ride Thursday morning. Did 11 hours to get there in one day. With in 15 minutes of leaving the house the wife exclaimed, "what a diference"! She was ecstatic, no more helmet buffeting, very quiet. I agreed, very quiet, no buffeting for me either. We got the 25" tall W/S based on Don's advice. Also got the vent. The vent made a big difference riding in high 90's and a stretch of 100*........... I look through the shield, 29" inseam. I am fine with that. The shield is so clear. Only downside, the air is so calm. My helmet vents don't get any air. Great job Don! Tom
    Hi Tom -
    I also have an F3t and am debating the F4 shield, though am not sure that I want to look through it. Can you tell me, sitting on your bike, what is the measurement from the seat (at your crotch) to your eye level? My measurement is 29", which has me looking approximately 6" above the stock shield.

And, what is the next lower sized F4 shield?

My wife and I also experience heavy buffeting and noise, and are looking for a solution.

Also - 11 hours - wow. Stock seat and driver backrest?

Thanks and blessings - Fritz Barlag, Grain Valley, Missouri

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Stock

I actually enjoy the stock windshield that comes on the F3T Limited. The slight up turn that it takes at the top of the shield throws the wind up over my head. I don't want to be looking through a windshield on a rainy day.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Oops

Didn't see that you were Ryding two up and I assure that will make a difference for the passenger and the stock shield could be a problem.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fritzer1 View Post

My wife and I also experience heavy buffeting and noise, and are looking for a solution.

- Fritz Barlag, Grain Valley, Missouri
    I can tell you using ear plugs helps with the noise. I use the soft foam kind. I roll them up tight and push them in as far as I can. They really help with the noise.

Just my two cents.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Hi Tom -
    I also have an F3t and am debating the F4 shield, though am not sure that I want to look through it. Can you tell me, sitting on your bike, what is the measurement from the seat (at your crotch) to your eye level? My measurement is 29", which has me looking approximately 6" above the stock shield.
    Good call, Fritz. That is probably the most important measurement of all, especially as we know that Tom's eye level is 2 - 3" below the top of the 25" screen.

I am 34" to eye level, so that measurement will help me get the right F4 screen fitted before I take the F3 out of the showroom and prevent me getting beaten to death on the 3 hour freeway trip home.

Pete
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    I can tell you using ear plugs helps with the noise. I use the soft foam kind. I roll them up tight and push them in as far as I can. They really help with the noise.

Just my two cents.
    Yeah, that is exactly what we have reverted to - using the green Moldex PuraFit plugs. Wife likes them, as riding all afternoon in 90+ Temps at highway speeds without them, literally wore her out and gave her a splitting headache. As for me, the plugs work well, but I feel somewhat isolated in an echo-chamber.
    So, am also seeking the right windshield fit for me - just wish there was an opportunity to test each model without expense of trial and error.

Spyder Garage

Hi Tom -

And, what is the next lower sized F4 shield?

Also - 11 hours - wow. Stock seat and driver backrest?

Fritz, I am approx. 27", and I have the 25" W/S.. I had no worries at all about looking through it. The W/S is optically correct. Super clear. And it sheds rain like no other. The passenger buffeting disappeared. And it was very quiet. I highly suggest ordering the vent. Makes a huge difference. Not sure about sizes of the W/S. As far as the seat goes, it sucks! We used Air Hawk R Model pads. We adjusted the air pressure along the way. Also a stock back rest for both of us. Give Don a call. He will set you up correctly. Tom
    Last edited by Tango; 07-19-2016 at 03:55 PM.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, that is exactly what we have reverted to - using the green Moldex PuraFit plugs. Wife likes them, as riding all afternoon in 90+ Temps at highway speeds without them, literally wore her out and gave her a splitting headache. As for me, the plugs work well, but I feel somewhat isolated in an echo-chamber.
    So, am also seeking the right windshield fit for me - just wish there was an opportunity to test each model without expense of trial and error.
    This is Don the owner of F4 Customs. Concerning the right shield and fit for the F3 touring:
    I suggest if your interested anyone could give me a call personally at the office since I did the development and testing for the F3 Touring and I think we could have some good conversation that would help in the decision making process so that when you get the shield you would be well pleased.
    My number is 330-968-4644
    Thanks
    Don

Spyder Garage

Fritz, I am approx. 27", and I have the 28" W/S. Tom
    Hi Tom,
    Sorry, but in your first post you said you have the 25" screen and above you mention 28". I will call Don to make sure I get the right one, but do you have a 25" or a 28"?
    Pete

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Sorry, but in your first post you said you have the 25" screen and above you mention 28". I will call Don to make sure I get the right one, but do you have a 25" or a 28"?
    Pete

Pete you caught me. It made me think what the heck do I have? Just went down to the garage and measured it. 25" it is. Sorry about the confusion. Tom

Spyder Garage

Default Naked F4=One Sad Bird

50+ years of riding and I have had a couple of bird strikes but not like the one today on my F3-S that I have been running "naked" without a windshield. The bird hit square in the middle of my face shield at about 65 mph and I knew that it was too big a thud to be a bug although we do have very large flying bugs in Florida. I stopped to stretch my legs and could not put my visor up.

Lo and behold, I found this sad sight as I laid my helmet on my seat. Guess I am going to have to think of getting a windshield?

Birdstrike.jpg
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 07-19-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    50+ years of riding and I have had a couple of bird strikes but not like the one today on my F3-S that I have been running "naked" without a windshield.
    Lo and behold, I found this sad sight as I laid my helmet on my seat. Guess I am going to have to think of getting a windshield?
    Yes, you should get a windshield, Capt. Bob......that will ENSURE that you never have another bird strike
    Pete

Spyder Garage

I'm 5' - 11" and just ordered the 21" clear vented. Not satisfied with BRP Tall Boy. I do not want to look through the windshield. Don said to mount it without taking off the plastic wrap and if I don't like it I can exchange it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Rick

Spyder Garage

Default Just installed 23" F4 Custom with vent

I am very pleased with F3L now. I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam and 31 - 32" seat to eye level. I look over the windshield by about an inch. The buffeting and wind noise are minimal. I'm able to hear the radio clearly.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hdmike58 View Post
    I am very pleased with F3L now. I'm 5' 11" with a 31" inseam and 31 - 32" seat to eye level. I look over the windshield by about an inch. The buffeting and wind noise are minimal. I'm able to hear the radio clearly.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    That's a great looks not Spyder!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmMick View Post
    That's a great looks not Spyder!
    Which windshield is that on your Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderHands View Post
    Which windshield is that on your Spyder?

That's the F4 Customs. Great choice. Works as advertised! Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's the F4 Customs. Great choice. Works as advertised! Tom
    Thanks!

With a vent in it?

I didn't think they have a vent in them!?!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
    50+ years of riding and I have had a couple of bird strikes but not like the one today on my F3-S that I have been running "naked" without a windshield. The bird hit square in the middle of my face shield at about 65 mph and I knew that it was too big a thud to be a bug although we do have very large flying bugs in Florida. I stopped to stretch my legs and could not put my visor up.

Birdstrike.jpg
    Good thing you were wearing a helmet!! Wow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk