Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration at 67-75 MPH on F3-S

Has anyone noticed a vibration when you roll on the throttle at 67-75..worst mostly at 69ish-71? It is a pretty strong grinding feeling.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
    Has anyone noticed a vibration when you roll on the throttle at 67-75..worst mostly at 69ish-71? It is a pretty strong grinding feeling.
    Likely it's your drive belt vibrating. Same thing occurs on my RT-Ltd at about same speed. A belt idler wheel (available from 2 of our sponsors) solved 95% of my vibration problem. Also might be your belt is not at the proper tension spec.

2014 Cognac RT Limited #185 (destroyed in T-Bone wreck 3/21/2014)
    2014 Cognac RT Limited #5333 (replacement 5/16/2014)
    2018 Champagne RT Limited #1002 (traded 1/31/2018)

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks! An excuse to ride! ( not that I needed one )

I know I had at least 15 minutes of speeds from 75 to 80+, didn't notice anything ( but the wind ). The F3 felt very stable and smooth - more so than my ST-S.

I'll go out in a little bit and check.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default New ground...

your the testers and solution finders. We will wait and see what that solution might be. Being day one for this model (basically all new) that that affected us in the past may not apply here. Will be interesting to find out. Would appreciate your letting us know so we can learn the "what to do if" ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default No vibrations

I didn't ride for long, mid-40's and lots of wind, but no vibrations at the speeds you mentioned over a 5 mile strech - other than my teeth chattering.

Every ride impresses me more.

Tom

Spyder Garage

I have a tensioner in the works for the F3, along with a backrest.
    I took the demo from my dealer for a 35 mile ride and the vibration was quite pronounced, my wife even noticed.
    My demo was set in Kilometers and it was around 123-125 which converted to 76-77 MPH.
    My magnesium SM should be here any day, I can hardly wait!
    My LG headset that I had worn around my neck for a year blew off and got ran over in the first mile, I haven't even taken delivery and it's already costing me. It was worth it though.
    Last edited by capt.jim; 01-29-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Longer Belt

I was wondering since the F3 has a longer belt to accommodate the larger rear pulley. I am thinking a longer belt would have more amplitude and vibrate at a lower frequency than a shorter belt. That would maybe explain the grating feel when it vibrates. Like any belt drive the tension and alignment are critical. With so few F3s out on the road it's too early to tell if this is a production set-up problem or just harmonics from the belt itself.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I would be really upset if I have to buy an aftermarket piece to fix a problem with manufacturing. If they didn't put a strong enough belt tensioner on it then they should take responsibility and fix it. Other then the vibration it is an AMAZING ride! So fast, low end torque is just AWESOME. Mine had damage on the frame we discovered when they moved the pegs from position 3 to 4 which BRP/dealer is fixing/replacing. The tranny can be a little rough at times on the SE6 but a neglagable amount. DEFINITLY needs a windscreen. I ordered the Blue Ridge yesterday, it is on back order and won't be here until the last week of Feb . I also ordered the RAM mount and a USB charger so I can use my phone. I am looking for recommendations on in helmet bluetooth systems. I want to be able to take work calls while on the bike and am looking for something that will cut out the majority of the background noise.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's not a problem with manufacturing... It's just a harmonic vibration from the belt. Pretty much inevitable with any belt drive setup.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's not a problem with manufacturing... It's just a harmonic vibration from the belt. Pretty much inevitable with any belt drive setup.
    Non of my three belt drives on my three Harley's ever did that Bob. Nor has any of my belt drives vibrated on my two Spiders. Belt is loose or not aligned properly is the culprit.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm NOT saying that it can't be tuned-out...
    Orrr... was everything else shaking so much, that you just couldn't feel it??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

and that's when the fight started....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    I have a tensioner in the works for the F3, along with a backrest.
    I took the demo from my dealer for a 35 mile ride and the vibration was quite pronounced, my wife even noticed.
    My demo was set in Kilometers and it was around 123-125 which converted to 76-77 MPH.
    My magnesium SM should be here any day, I can hardly wait!
    My LG headset that I had worn around my neck for a year blew off and got ran over in the first mile, I haven't even taken delivery and it's already costing me. It was worth it though.
    The backrest that your working on, will you be designing it for a luggage rack and if so will the rack be removable?

Spyder Garage

Default A LITTLE VIBRATING HUM

I took my F3S out for a little exercise today, and I too noticed the vibrations between 67 and about 72. I will put a few more miles on it and then take it in to see if the vibes can be adjusted out, if not Ill be looking for a belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I can tell you have never ridden a Harley Bob. !00 MPH - Pipes a blarrin - no helmet or is it helmut - fifty bikes and your are leading the pack for the next 1500 miles to Disneyland (Sturges). Oh what a feeling. Vibration I hear no stink'n vibration.

I do miss that! Now I have to ride with all you old slow farts.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    The backrest that your working on, will you be designing it for a luggage rack and if so will the rack be removable?
    Due to the diminished storage, I have a rack planned also. They will both attach to a main mounting bracket.
    Installing either the backrest or rack will require the same mounting bracket, you will be able to add or remove either piece with minimal labor.
    The backrest will be first, after that I will be looking for opinions as to what size rack will be needed to satisfy the needs of most.
    For those that like to remove their rear fender, the rack will also serve to keep their passengers backside dry on wet roads.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I can tell you have never ridden a Harley Bob. !00 MPH - Pipes a blarrin - no helmet or is it helmut - fifty bikes and your are leading the pack for the next 1500 miles to Disneyland (Sturges). Oh what a feeling. Vibration I hear no stink'n vibration.

Oh; but I HAVE...
    I will say this for them: they have the best-made mirrors on the Planet...
    If they weren't so good; the glass would pop out of them in a heartbeat!

Spyder Garage

Oh; but I HAVE...
    I will say this for them: they have the best-made mirrors on the Planet...
    If they weren't so good; the glass would pop out of them in a heartbeat!
    Ain't that the truth!
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default A follow-up

After the snow/slush/rain stopped this morning, I took the F3 out for a good run. About 30 miles of 65 to 90mph. No vibrations. Nothing in either 5th or 6th gear.

I was impressed at how stable and in-control the F3 was. I really like this machine.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Default There You Go....

It kinda looks now (still early to tell as not many F3s on the road yet) like the OP of this thread might have his belt out of adjustment, either tension or alignment or both. Just a guess since his does vibrate and this other fellow's doesn't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by capt.jim View Post
    Due to the diminished storage, I have a rack planned also. They will both attach to a main mounting bracket.
    Installing either the backrest or rack will require the same mounting bracket, you will be able to add or remove either piece with minimal labor.
    The backrest will be first, after that I will be looking for opinions as to what size rack will be needed to satisfy the needs of most.
    For those that like to remove their rear fender, the rack will also serve to keep their passengers backside dry on wet roads.
    Thank you as that's what I want, I mean need.

Spyder Garage

Default Small, it may be this . . . .

. . . I got in some more riding in the last two days and was finally able to create ( maybe ) your vibration.

In my last tests, I moved through the 60-90 MPH range and could not detect anything like a vibration. For about 20 miles, I tried that in both 5th & 6th gears, slowly throttling up and down to see if I could find any area of 'vibration'. Nope. I checked my belt as well as I could and it was at spec.

Yesterday and today I was out again - @ 250 miles, I am still in break-in mode, but testing some limits - and maybe I ran across what you are experiencing.

In 5th & 6th gear - going over 50mph, if I 'cranked' the throttle ( like to quickly pass or to put more space behind me from an approaching vehicle ) the engine would roar to life and the F3 would shoot ahead. There was a 'vibration', but it was ( to me ) just the engine/exhaust roaring to life. It only lasts a second. It didn't feel like "grinding" or anything bad. There was no hesitation in how the power-curve felt or that the belt or transmission was slipping.

Really, it felt like if you are sitting on the F3, with your feet firmly planted on the pegs, and start it up. To me, it does this va-Rooom thing - where the "R" in the "Room" part is accented and the "oom" part is a descending growl. I get the same 'vibration' on my F3 at startup, it is just not as strong as it is at 70mph.

Actually, you can kind of see/hear what I am talking about if you look at the video Lamont posted where the Spyder is started up and rev'd a couple times without a muffler.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    That "-off" tearing/shredding exhaust sounds like the 'vibration' feels.

So, to recap:

No "vibration or grinding" when doing an easy roll of the throttle while in 5th or 6th gear at any speed between 50mph & 90mph.

Vibration/sensation when fast acceleration in 5th or 6th gear between 50mph 70mph. Nothing noted in downshifting or deceleration in that speed/gear range.

Lower intensity vibration/sensation at startup, when motor comes to life. ( no belt involved )

No, it is not your imagination. ( BRP may call it a feature. )

My Spyder GS or ST-S, never did anything quite like this - but as much fun as they were, they never performed like an F3 either.

If what I did and felt matches the conditions you were in when you felt it, I don't think it is a problem. A different muffler may tame it down or perhaps make it more noticeable. I would be interested if a belt-tensioner would change anything, so, like you, I will keep my eyes and ears open. I am no Scotty and I only have my years of motorcycling/car experience to go by - but I am not concerned.

As always, consider advice, but make up your own mind.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Non of my three belt drives on my three Harley's ever did that Bob. Nor has any of my belt drives vibrated on my two Spiders. Belt is loose or not aligned properly is the culprit.

Jack

All the Harley's I have ridden vibrate so much that you would never notice a belt anyways.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . I got in some more riding in the last two days and was finally able to create ( maybe ) your vibration.

In my last tests, I moved through the 60-90 MPH range and could not detect anything like a vibration. For about 20 miles, I tried that in both 5th & 6th gears, slowly throttling up and down to see if I could find any area of 'vibration'. Nope. I checked my belt as well as I could and it was at spec.

Yesterday and today I was out again - @ 250 miles, I am still in break-in mode, but testing some limits - and maybe I ran across what you are experiencing.

In 5th & 6th gear - going over 50mph, if I 'cranked' the throttle ( like to quickly pass or to put more space behind me from an approaching vehicle ) the engine would roar to life and the F3 would shoot ahead. There was a 'vibration', but it was ( to me ) just the engine/exhaust roaring to life. It only lasts a second. It didn't feel like "grinding" or anything bad. There was no hesitation in how the power-curve felt or that the belt or transmission was slipping.

Really, it felt like if you are sitting on the F3, with your feet firmly planted on the pegs, and start it up. To me, it does this va-Rooom thing - where the "R" in the "Room" part is accented and the "oom" part is a descending growl. I get the same 'vibration' on my F3 at startup, it is just not as strong as it is at 70mph.

Actually, you can kind of see/hear what I am talking about if you look at the video Lamont posted where the Spyder is started up and rev'd a couple times without a muffler.

That "-off" tearing/shredding exhaust sounds like the 'vibration' feels.

So, to recap:

No "vibration or grinding" when doing an easy roll of the throttle while in 5th or 6th gear at any speed between 50mph & 90mph.

Vibration/sensation when fast acceleration in 5th or 6th gear between 50mph 70mph. Nothing noted in downshifting or deceleration in that speed/gear range.

Lower intensity vibration/sensation at startup, when motor comes to life. ( no belt involved )

No, it is not your imagination. ( BRP may call it a feature. )

My Spyder GS or ST-S, never did anything quite like this - but as much fun as they were, they never performed like an F3 either.

If what I did and felt matches the conditions you were in when you felt it, I don't think it is a problem. A different muffler may tame it down or perhaps make it more noticeable. I would be interested if a belt-tensioner would change anything, so, like you, I will keep my eyes and ears open. I am no Scotty and I only have my years of motorcycling/car experience to go by - but I am not concerned.

As always, consider advice, but make up your own mind.

Tom
    Tom - Thanks for the detailed response! That does not really describe what I am feeling. I need to take it to the dealer one of the days they are open and it is above freezing! Mine is very consistent. Starting at around 65 and most prevalent between 69-71 just rolling on the throttle causes a very noticeable vibration that lasts 1.5-3 seconds...I am hesitant to take it to the dealer because that means they need to test ride it and I don't want anyone riding my bike!

Spyder Garage

Cool Vibration Worse than my ST

I accepted delivery of my F3S on 1/21/2015 and to date have logged 750 miles. The only complaint I have is the vibration that on my ride starts the buzz in the handlebars and pegs at 64mph gets progressively worse to 72 then starts to lessen and disappears at 74. Does it affect the performance of the bike? No it doesn't. Is it annoying? Absolutely. This is not my first rodeo and I've experienced these harmonic belt vibrations on my 2009 GS, then my 2013 ST Limited. On neither of these Spyders was the vibration as pronounced as it is on the F3. I believe that is probably due to the additional power and torque plus the longer drive belt. I've already had several conversations with Jim at SmoothSpyder, and will be ordering my belt tensioner as soon as they are available. The tensioner on my ST basically reduced the vibration on that motorcycle by 95%. If the tensioner does the same for my F3S, I will be a happy camper. If not, I will learn to accept it as one of the annoying quirks of Spyder ryding. Love my new F3 and I won't let this ruin it for me.