Spyder Garage

Default Oil vapors in the air cleaner housing

Hi Guys
    I would like to ask for your help about a matter concerning my "Spyder Gs Se5 2009" My new mechanic that I replaced the valve cover gaskets for a slight oozing noted in the air cleaner housing many vopori of oil coming from the return tube, do you think it's normal? depends on what? what can i do? it happened to you? I would be grateful if you help me
    A warm greeting from Italy

Sorry for the translation was carried out online

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gozzillaman View Post
    Hi Guys
    I would like to ask for your help about a matter concerning my "Spyder Gs Se5 2009" My new mechanic that I replaced the valve cover gaskets for a slight oozing noted in the air cleaner housing many vopori of oil coming from the return tube, do you think it's normal? depends on what? what can i do? it happened to you? I would be grateful if you help me
    A warm greeting from Italy

Sorry for the translation was carried out online
    Depends on how bad the problem is. A small amount of oil in the air box is considered normal. Many of the 08's and 09's had much more than that. For example my 09 there was so much oil in the air box it would drip out the right side and make a mess. Many people installed catch cans in the vent hose the get the oil before it got to the breather. I inserted a small piece of open cell foam in the hose. That appeared to help a lot.

I found out last year the real fix for this problem is to apply liquid gasket maker, to the metal to metal mating surface of the cam bearing cap, next to the vent hose. It is too bad your mechanic did not know this because it would have only added another 15 minutes to the labour when he had the valve covers off already.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Depends on how bad the problem is. A small amount of oil in the air box is considered normal. Many of the 08's and 09's had much more than that. For example my 09 there was so much oil in the air box it would drip out the right side and make a mess. Many people installed catch cans in the vent hose the get the oil before it got to the breather. I inserted a small piece of open cell foam in the hose. That appeared to help a lot.

I found out last year the real fix for this problem is to apply liquid gasket maker, to the metal to metal mating surface of the cam bearing cap, next to the vent hose. It is too bad your mechanic did not know this because it would have only added another 15 minutes to the labour when he had the valve covers off already.

I'm sorry friend you clarify exactly where to apply the creator of liquid gasket with many

Spyder Garage

Sealing surfaces between item 11 Cam bearing cap and item 8-17 Cylinder head assembly.

bearing cap.jpg

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

but also the type of oil you use, the levels you keep, oil change intervales and the temps have a lot to do with the amount that ends up in the air box. You will find that freeway cruising also produces more than fluctuating side road speeds. Keep an eye on it but you should be fine...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default This is what I use

It's worked great for about 30,000 miles. It's cheap, easy to install, Zero maintenance, you can see what's going on and you don't lose any oil.

(Clickable Link)

Bajaron's oil catch can
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-26-2015 at 12:24 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It's worked great for about 30,000 miles. It's cheap, easy to install, Zero maintenance, you can see what's going on and you don't lose any oil.

(Clickable Link)

Bajaron's oil catch can
    I used his oil catch can already and it works. You should run an K&N air filter also, BajaRon sells them at a god price. The oil that now gets in your air box is dirty oil from engine.