Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install time

Spyder Garage

Question Install time

I have ron's sway bar and was going to try and have the dealer install it for me. What is a reasonable amount of time to install? They quoited me 4-5 hours minimum. From the posts I have found on the forum I thought it would be about half that. Has anyone had their dealer install and what was the price range? Thank you for any information.

Spyder Garage

my dealer installed it for free when my bike cam in, but he also told me it took them 3 hrs to do it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    my dealer installed it for free when my bike cam in, but he also told me it took them 3 hrs to do it
    Thank you for the information. This was my first Spyder so didn't know what to ask for when I bought it . I haven't met any spyder owners in person yet so am kind of learning as I go.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Central FL Powersports charged me 1.5 hours of labor to put on the sway bar when I got a laser alignment. Only thing I missed was getting the aluminum links, which are recommended for the stiffer sway bar. I am adding them myself.

Four to five hours seems excessive, but perhaps they don't have much experience doing it. I don't agree that you should be paying for their training. Check with other dealers that are a reasonable distance from you, if you have any.

Spyder Garage

1.5 hours is plenty long enough to install the sway bar and links.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It's not that hard to change it yourself.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I installed one myself taking my time with it from start to finish only 1.5 hrs

2014 RTS-SE6 Pearl White
    Can Am Driver Backrest, Tri-Axis Handle Bars
    BRP Trailer Hitch & Module, Trailer
    Baja Ron Sway Bar & Billet Links
    Baja Ron Shock Adjusters
    Smooth Spyder Belt Tensioner

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

on how they go about it. 1.5 hr's is plenty but shops may claim more depending on the shop rate for changing the sway bar.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Install time

I'd say 1.5 hours is a good start. This included getting the front tire Car ramps on the RSS. I have seen pictures of far too much stuff being taken off to do this. I just loosened the Frunk and put that 2x4 like in the video and removed the skid and I was done in an hour. Following weekend I decided to install the billet links to make sure I had no issues. That didn't require any removal of anything, just pulled the bolts and put the new ones in. 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Default Hello

Quote Originally Posted by hognut View Post
    I have ron's sway bar and was going to try and have the dealer install it for me. What is a reasonable amount of time to install? They quoited me 4-5 hours minimum. From the posts I have found on the forum I thought it would be about half that. Has anyone had their dealer install and what was the price range? Thank you for any information.
    This was your dealers way of saying "don't bring something that you bought somewhere else in here for me to install and possibly have to warranty". 4-5 hours was their way of saying "take a hike". Sorry to be the one to tell you.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    I'd say 1.5 hours is a good start. This included getting the front tire Car ramps on the RSS. I have seen pictures of far too much stuff being taken off to do this. I just loosened the Frunk and put that 2x4 like in the video and removed the skid and I was done in an hour. Following weekend I decided to install the billet links to make sure I had no issues. That didn't require any removal of anything, just pulled the bolts and put the new ones in. 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My understanding (from this forum) is that RTs have to be about 2 feet off the ground for adequate clearance to replace the sway bar. That's why I had the dealer do it. It may not be difficult, but if you don't have the capability it's a moot point.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That's what I thought, too! Putting Ron's sway bar and the links took about 1 hour on the lift for my '14RTS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    This was your dealers way of saying "don't bring something that you bought somewhere else in here for me to install and possibly have to warranty". 4-5 hours was their way of saying "take a hike". Sorry to be the one to tell you.
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 01-19-2015 at 11:13 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default inadequate sway bar?

Is the sway bar on the "14 that poor that it needs replacing? Seems on this model, that should be a rock solid item.
    2015 RT Limited , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDragon View Post
    Is the sway bar on the "14 that poor that it needs replacing? Seems on this model, that should be a rock solid item.
    Adequate is a better word. My 14 was twitchy on the road when I bought it, it tended to wander around in a lane, and going through turns was an exercise in constantly adjusting the turn radius.

The new bar took care of that. I don't have to worry as much about the wandering. It also moves less in truck wakes or vortices from vehicles passing in the other direction.

I did it since I had the opportunity for the dealer to get it done. I am glad I did. The stock bar may be fine for many, but the numbers of forum members who have changed it and gave it positive reviews swayed me.

Spyder Garage

They are probably quoting taking off the frunk. The swaybar was the first thing I ever did on my Spyder, don't remember the exact time but it definitely wasn't 4-5 hours.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

My dealer took 1.5 hours to do the job as part of the OTD price, labor rate was discounted also.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Your dealer probably has never done a sway bar swap before. 1.5 hours labor is fair. Anything over 1.5 hours is too much.

The problem is that the BRP manual says you have to remove the Frunk to change the sway bar. Not true, not necessary and adds a lot of unnecessary time and effort to the job. Some dealers will listen to reason, other will quote the manual like it is the Holy Grail.

Someone who knows what they are doing can do this job easily in 1.5 hours. Especially with a lift. If they are really good at it, it will take them well under 1 hour.

If you can talk your dealer out of pulling the Tupperware and use the instructions that come with the bar they should be able to do it in 1.5 hours.

After-all, they are Highly Trained Professionals... Right!?

Good Luck!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-19-2015 at 11:18 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If I had a proper lift, and was a bit more limber, 1.5 hrs would be reasonable. However, I don't, and am not, so it was more like three hours.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default DIY

Try. Or, bring it here. I can do it in 1.5 hours! Everybody needs a trip to sunny Las Vegas!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar?

Quote Originally Posted by hognut View Post
    I have a 2014 RT-S and did the install myself. Also, did a friend of mine as well. It took me about 1.5 hours, total time, to change the first time. Second time much shorter. Also put one on my ole 2011 as well. Try it yourself, not hard, just follow instructions. Have fun
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Ron includes great directions, I installed new links and the sway bar myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you all

Thanks for all the information. I bought the roll bar with the intention of installing it myself, but am having a problem with getting the 20-24 inches clearance and my getting up off the floor . I am planning on getting the laser alignment at the Redwoods Run so may bring it with me and see if I can get it installed then. Again that you all for the information.

Spyder Garage

Can't wait to get my bar installed. As soon as I get the height figured out and some warmer weather as mine will be done outside. Pretty sure I can do it with the good directions that came with it. Probably take me at least 2-3 hours

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Pre 2014 models were/are much easier to install than the 2014s. About 1/2 an hour vs about one and a half hours.

Spyder Garage

The hard part was getting the hight to remove the stock bar and install Ron's bar.

What I ending up doing was using my Sears red lift that has a hight of 18 1/2 inches at max lift and lifting the Spyder high enough to put my car ramps under the front tires. I then lowered the lift to it's lowest point. I then stacked two 2x10x18" wood pieces onto the lift so that they rested along the frame and raised the lift to it's Max hight. This gave me 21 1/2" and was just high enough to do it.

If I was to do another one I would pick up a 4x4 piece as that would provide 22" and make it easier to do
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue