Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking about buying spyder - a few questions

Hey guys - I'm thinking about buying a spyder this month but wanted to ask a few questions...

Were there any major changes between 2013 - 2014 on the RS-S?

How comfortable is the RS-S for a passenger when adding the backrest?

Are dealers generally flexible with pricing?

I came from a harley 1200 sportster nightster that my wife loved riding as a passenger on - I want to make sure that she would be as/more comfy on the spyder.

thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by airmax86 View Post
    Hey guys - I'm thinking about buying a spyder this month but wanted to ask a few questions...

I came from a harley 1200 sportster nightster that my wife loved riding as a passenger on - I want to make sure that she would be as/more comfy on the spyder.

thanks!
    : The RSS has been pretty much unchanged except for different color combos.

: Passenger comfort: The RSS rides more like a sport bike than a tourer. You may feel a need for an upgraded seat--but give it about 500 miles before deciding. IMO--a back rest is a necessity if traveling with a passenger. We don't want to lose anyone off the back.

: Pricing--a crap shoot for sure. Do a search for the dealer you are thinking about using. Sometimes you can find good or bad. No area was given in your post--so
    Some dealers offer good prices, and have lousy service to go with it. Others, just the opposite. Flexibility? It depends on how bad they want to move a two year old 2013 or a one year old 2014. The more eager you seem, the higher the price will be.

Let us know what you decide.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks!
    The only changes with the 2013-2014 rss was new front wheels and the airflow panels you can add the airflow panels to the 13 thats what I did but if you can get a 14 at the right price thats what I would go with. As for rear passenger with the backrest imo I would think it would depend on the size of the person sitting on the back not a whole lot of seat.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info so far guys, huge help.

Regarding the models & pricing - I've found one I like - 2013 rs-s se5 in green for $12,199. I'm not sure if that's a fair deal or not. I've also found a 14 rs-s SM5 for 12,800.

Regarding area - i'm in NC.

thanks again!

Spyder Garage

You should also consider the ST. A little more relaxed riding position.

Spyder Garage

Regarding the models & pricing - I've found one I like - 2013 rs-s se5 in green for $12,199. I'm not sure if that's a fair deal or not. I've also found a 14 rs-s SM5 for 12,800.

thanks again!
    Pricing looking pretty good. That's almost $5K off of list. The NC people will let you know about dealership(s).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks again!
    The newtron green is still on of my favorite colors thats what I was looking for when I got my 13 but I had to settle for orange still like it though. 12,199 is not bad is it new no miles?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mstngken View Post
    The newtron green is still on of my favorite colors thats what I was looking for when I got my 13 but I had to settle for orange still like it though. 12,199 is not bad is it new no miles?
    Yes, new - no miles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

seems like the main thing to decide is whether you want auto or manual... both prices are great for 0 miles bikes, at least compared to the market around south florida.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

little to add...I have changed to the comfort seat and the wife and I ryde easy 400 miles in comfort. Do have the backrest and passenger foot peg extensions. You do have to give it a try...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

As mentioned the only choice between those two are if you prefer the manual (SM) or semi-auto gearbox (SE). That's a purely personal choice on how you like to ride - there are plenty in both camps on this site:-)

If you got the 2013 you can then get the 2014 'air-scoop' panels for it anyway. Lamont did list the part numbers and I think someone said they cost about US$280. However I will mention that one RSS owner in Australia said that when they fitted the 2014 ones on a 2013 they noticed more wind noise and buffeting than before.

Backrest wise it may be worth looking at the SmoothSpyder one rather than the standard one. Again a personal choice thing but I think it looks nicer and I also like the fact that I can use it as a rider backrest when I don't have pillion.

Wish we could get Spyders for that sort of price over here, most dealers would be looking for NZ$24,000 for those which at current exchange rates would be around US$18,700 :-(

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

having just gotten one and my brother having an RT i would say there is nothing like the RT for comfort for either the passenger or the driver for a long trip. And as of 2013 they have the 1330 cc engine, however of course they are a lot more money.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have 13 RSS and love it. Put about 4000 miles on it over summer and about 2000 with passenger. I got the seat back from Can am that attaches with 1 quick bolt cause i like it off when im alone. I also got the manual. I tried the auto and did not like it at all on the downshifts, i like to power down the gears when slowing. Auto just felt soft to me.
    After this summer and alot of riding i thought I might like the ST better and took one out for extened ride and did not like it at all. First off it was the auto. I like the reach of the RSS handlebars the ST was just to close to me and uncomfortable when turning.

Big downsides to me on RSS
    Lots of wind in your face. This can be fixed with bigger aftermarket windshield. The wind is nice on hot days but long rides and i just felt kinda beat up. I tried 1 larger aftermarket windshield it was alot better but it was to vertical and buffed the wind.
    The stock seat really sucks alot. Another east fix, even the stock ST seat is way better on my tailbone. I decided to go with comfort seat, feels great and looks way better to me.
    I have ordered the New upgrade sway bar and end links but have not put it on yet during winter. Everyone says its night and day improvement.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by midwestrider View Post
    I have 13 RSS and love it. Put about 4000 miles on it over summer and about 2000 with passenger. I got the seat back from Can am that attaches with 1 quick bolt cause i like it off when im alone. I also got the manual. I tried the auto and did not like it at all on the downshifts, i like to power down the gears when slowing. Auto just felt soft to me.
    After this summer and alot of riding i thought I might like the ST better and took one out for extened ride and did not like it at all. First off it was the auto. I like the reach of the RSS handlebars the ST was just to close to me and uncomfortable when turning.

Big downsides to me on RSS
    Lots of wind in your face. This can be fixed with bigger aftermarket windshield. The wind is nice on hot days but long rides and i just felt kinda beat up. I tried 1 larger aftermarket windshield it was alot better but it was to vertical and buffed the wind.
    The stock seat really sucks alot. Another east fix, even the stock ST seat is way better on my tailbone. I decided to go with comfort seat, feels great and looks way better to me.
    I have ordered the New upgrade sway bar and end links but have not put it on yet during winter. Everyone says its night and day improvement.
    How is that comfort seat and your seating position? i just put the 4.5 risers on my RS because im short and i was just leaning to far forward. If i had the stock bars on i think id have to sit too far up for it to help. I would really like to try one but at 400+ id really need to sit on one first.

In regards to the wind you mentioned i never really noticed it so much until my brother and i went riding this weekend and switched spyders. I was on his first and when i switched back to mine i felt like i was in a wind tunnel and it was waaaay colder. Thats great for the RT in the winter but not so good int he summer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think i've settled (or at least I think so) on a 13 neutron green RSS sm5.

Another question - floorboards. What is the best option to run passenger / driver floorboards on the RSS models? I'd rather not have any that look like spiderwebs that i've seen.

Spyder Garage

The two I'm aware of that don't do web designs are:
    Custom Dynamics: http://www.customdynamics.com/spyder...board_kits.htm
    Seal Floorboards: http://www.sealcreativeconcepts.com/...oards/gallery/

I will just say that another rider I know who fitted some of these to his RS SM took them back off because he couldn't get on with the toe/heel gear change. Just mention this as it's something to consider at this stage.
    Last edited by PistonBlown; 01-22-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

this is solid advice. I like it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thanks!
    You might want to consider Seal Floorboards to allow you a great deal more leg movement. You can see them on my '09 on my website.
    They make a huge difference in comfort, especially if you are accustomed to a Sportster. The point is to.......

Ride in comfort,
    John
    sealcreativeconcepts.com

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think i've settled (or at least I think so) on a 13 neutron green RSS sm5.

Another question - floorboards. What is the best option to run passenger / driver floorboards on the RSS models? I'd rather not have any that look like spiderwebs that i've seen.
    Honestly, if you're considering floorboards, just go for the ST, It'll be a LOT less headache in the long run, and then you can do a neutron greenish vinyl wrap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Honestly, if you're considering floorboards, just go for the ST, It'll be a LOT less headache in the long run, and then you can do a neutron greenish vinyl wrap.
    It just doesn't seem cost effective to go that route if I like the RSS considering the deal I've found. I'm just not a fan of the look of the RT, but I do understand what you're saying.

We tried an RSS out a couple days ago and the only thing the wife is complaining about are the rear passenger pegs - her legs are bent back and the pegs are too high - i'm guessing that can be fixed with rear peg extensions?

Spyder Garage

It just doesn't seem cost effective to go that route if I like the RSS considering the deal I've found. I'm just not a fan of the look of the RT, but I do understand what you're saying.

We tried an RSS out a couple days ago and the only thing the wife is complaining about are the rear passenger pegs - her legs are bent back and the pegs are too high - i'm guessing that can be fixed with rear peg extensions?
    The original rear foot peg extensions (designed by a former member here) brought the foot pegs forward 4.5" and down 2.5". That should help with the bent leg position, while also lowering them. So, if the ones you are looking at are similar, they should help.

Here are the originals:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...oot+extensions