Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Smooth Spyder Tensioner - Advice needed

I recently installed my smooth spyder tensioner on my 2014 RT-S and set the tension to about 10-lbs. This based on the instructions by Jim and the scale provided. I took it for a ride today and didn't feel the lower speed vibrations, around the 55-60 mph range. I did however feel really bad vibrations in the 70-75 mph range. They felt worse than I remember before the tensioner.

So, my questions are... How much can I tighten the tensioner; to what force (pounds) can I go before it becomes a problem or an issue on the belt? Is there anything I should check? Has anyone else experienced this? Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Brian Kay; 01-19-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had the tensioner on my 13 RTS and it worked well but never felt any need for it on the 14 RTS I have now? I sold it on the forum......
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    I had the tensioner on my 13 RTS and it worked well but never felt any need for it on the 14 RTS I have now? I sold it on the forum......
    Interesting... Haven't heard that from anyone until now.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RS with the Smooth Spyder tensioner. When I first installed it I adjusted it to about 12#. I didn't get a vibration, but I did notice a whining sound at higher speeds. I adjusted mine down to about 7-8# and had vibration, then to 9-10# and it seems to have done the trick. As for how tight can you go.. I think the problem with over tightening it is stretching the belt. Over time the belt would need to be replaced because it would be to big.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I purchased the tensioner for my 2014 RT-S but have not installed it yet to give you any feedback sorry

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    I purchased the tensioner for my 2014 RT-S but have not installed it yet to give you any feedback sorry
    Hurry up lol

Spyder Garage

put my smooth spyder tensioner on my RT 2014 in june after returning from spyderfest, 8k on it no problems. at any speed.
    Homer Hill

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT with only about 1300 miles and so far haven't noticed any vibration. Maybe with more miles will wait and see.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

the only thing would be to check the tendion and alignment of the tensioner. I wouldn't go higher but try different tensions...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Big props to Jim-Smooth Spyder

I emailed Jim before I posted this thread and he emailed me back with a few things to check. First off, make sure the scale is calibrated before checking the tension... Mine was off by 2+pounds, ugh. Second, make sure it's in alignment, with using the ruler trick. Lastly, you can go as high as 14-lbs on the tension, but recommends 12-lbs.

Yeah, because my scale was off by 2-lbs +, my actual tension was only 8-9 lbs. I adjusted it to around 10-11lbs because i didn't want to over do it, and took a quick ride... It seemed better in the 60 mph range, but I wasn't able to hit the magical 70-74 mph range because it was too darn cold and it's tough on city streets where the speed limit is 35! I'll give it another try tomorrow, when I can better prepare myself for the ride in the cold temps. If need be, I'll re-adjust the tensioner again, knowing I have a few pounds to spare (yeah, I started my diet lol).

Big thanks to Smooth Spyder Jim, he was a big help, and very very responsive...first class.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I just had a belt adjustment

done by a service tech at 5k on my 14 RTS. It was a warrantee job along with a darn code problem. Anyway right out of the shop I took it up to 75 mph with no indication of any significant belt vibration. So, proper belt adjustment plays a big part in the overall issue of belt vibration. And yes, you're right it's a big shop with lots of room and runway. Now how long the belt will stay properly adjusted is another question.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Yep, I agree. I have had no vibrations from the belt on my 14 RT at 2500km.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I installed a belt tensioner on my 2014 RT... have not ridden it much since.. I did make a trial run .. brought it up to 70 & 75 .. NO NOTICEABLE VIBRATION

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    I emailed Jim before I posted this thread and he emailed me back with a few things to check. First off, make sure the scale is calibrated before checking the tension... Mine was off by 2+pounds, ugh. Second, make sure it's in alignment, with using the ruler trick. Lastly, you can go as high as 14-lbs on the tension, but recommends 12-lbs.

Yeah, because my scale was off by 2-lbs +, my actual tension was only 8-9 lbs. I adjusted it to around 10-11lbs because i didn't want to over do it, and took a quick ride... It seemed better in the 60 mph range, but I wasn't able to hit the magical 70-74 mph range because it was too darn cold and it's tough on city streets where the speed limit is 35! I'll give it another try tomorrow, when I can better prepare myself for the ride in the cold temps. If need be, I'll re-adjust the tensioner again, knowing I have a few pounds to spare (yeah, I started my diet lol).

Big thanks to Smooth Spyder Jim, he was a big help, and very very responsive...first class.
    Thanks for this info. I just installed mine and still having vibration problems. I will now check the scale calibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tony
    2014 RT

Mods: Adjustable side wind deflectors; Adjustable vented windshield; Rear and front trunk lights; Replaced the foot pegs with Web Boards; Gerbing heater controls; Garmin Zumo 390LM GPS; Fog lights; Front headlamp accent lights; Replaced the standard fender light bulbs with LEDs; BumpSkid; Frunk insert and stripes from WrapMySPyder; BajaRon Swaybar; Laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

I think I read in a previous post that there should be no weight on the tires when checking the belt tension. Am I remembering correctly? If so then that might be part of my problem.

Tony
    2014 RT

Mods: Adjustable side wind deflectors; Adjustable vented windshield; Rear and front trunk lights; Replaced the foot pegs with Web Boards; Gerbing heater controls; Garmin Zumo 390LM GPS; Fog lights; Front headlamp accent lights; Replaced the standard fender light bulbs with LEDs; BumpSkid; Frunk insert and stripes from WrapMySPyder; BajaRon Swaybar; Laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tony8472 View Post
    I think I read in a previous post that there should be no weight on the tires when checking the belt tension. Am I remembering correctly? If so then that might be part of my problem.

No, keep the wheel on the ground, says Jim. Check the scale first, then check the belt tension by pulling the tensioner down a 1/2 inch off the belt and slowly releasing until it hits the belt...this should be your reading on the scale. If it reads 10 lbs or less, you need to up it to 12lbs. Make sure it's tightened down and check it again, sometimes it lowers the tension when trying to tighten. Anyway, I re-calibrated my scale, then tightened, then checked it, then took it for a spin, last week and today. I had it in the infamous 70-74 range and it was perfect...then took it up to 90 mph and although cold outside, it purred like a spyder, lol.

Spyder Garage

10lbs is a starting point, I had to adjust mine up to 14lbs to make a difference through that vibe zone on the highway.

Spyder Garage

Realize there are other "vibrations" that can be felt other than the belt.

You can get a vibration to the motor mounts at certain RPMS that has noting to do with the belt.

I can recreate this engine vibration (I believe to be harmonic in nature) every time. When it happens just throttle up or down and stop it. Certain speeds, engine RPMs, etc can cause this. Again I can recreate it and also stop it.

Hard to explain.... But don't think EVERY vibration harmonic you have is caused by the belt!
    There are a few circumstances of vibrations that have nothing to do with the belt.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 02-19-2015 at 11:29 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default belt issues

Quote Originally Posted by hchays View Post
    I have a 2013 RS with the Smooth Spyder tensioner. When I first installed it I adjusted it to about 12#. I didn't get a vibration, but I did notice a whining sound at higher speeds. I adjusted mine down to about 7-8# and had vibration, then to 9-10# and it seems to have done the trick. As for how tight can you go.. I think the problem with over tightening it is stretching the belt. Over time the belt would need to be replaced because it would be to big.
    I am not an experienced Spyderider, but I do know which end of a screwdriver to hold and I believe your biggest problem with tightening too much will be the wearing out of the bearings on the front drive sprocket and the left bearing in the rear wheel.
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Status of the belt in reverse

I've just built my own tensioner, and I've had it built much the same as the clamp on method. But the tension wheel has no guides on the edge so precision has got to be very accurate. I've noticed that when I'm driving forward the tension system works great but when I'm in reverse the belt is drifting about 1/4 inch away from the rear hub. Has anyone else had any problems with this when they fitted a tensioner. I've since found out that the idle wheel on the Smooth Spyder is from a Lawn cutter. So does any one know how long is the life expectancy of the Idler,

Spyder Garage

My belt does this in reverse with or without the tensioner!
    Most will probably agree this is normal.
    Maybe you're just noticing it now?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Good news

Hey a big thanks Bob, I think your right, well I hope so. I've never looked at the belt in reverse. I feel a lot better now, time to hit the road,

Spyder Garage

Default SMOOTH SPYDER

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    I recently installed my smooth spyder tensioner on my 2014 RT-S and set the tension to about 10-lbs. This based on the instructions by Jim and the scale provided. I took it for a ride today and didn't feel the lower speed vibrations, around the 55-60 mph range. I did however feel really bad vibrations in the 70-75 mph range. They felt worse than I remember before the tensioner.

So, my questions are... How much can I tighten the tensioner; to what force (pounds) can I go before it becomes a problem or an issue on the belt? Is there anything I should check? Has anyone else experienced this? Any other suggestions?
    Smooth SPYDER Bill tensioner on my 2013 SPYDER RT Limited it took out all of the vibrations and work perfectly I would direct any questions toward Capt. Jim, he is a very nice andknowledgeable person he will be a big help to you and he knows his product best of luck Ron

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Job done

It's now on the road and tested out fine. Needed to trim the guard but that was always going to happen,

Last edited by Cambello; 03-10-2015 at 12:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Love the carbon fiber blackout you have done!

Was that water dip process?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black