Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Check your rear fender

I was riding yesterday and a friend noticed my rear fender was loose. Three of the four mounting points for the rear fender had cracked and failed. So check the rear fender mounting.

First photo shows the upper right was the only mounting hole holding, and it was cracked.

Second photos shows the right hand bracket cracked from the bottom.

Third photo shows the left hand bracket cracked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down

Wow will do how many miles do you have though this shouldn't be happening

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

19,700 miles on the SPYDER. I agree it should not happen.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the heads up!
    Every winter I torque every bolt I can get to.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

Warranty time. Something is seriously not right there.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear fender / I7 mounts

I have an Industries 7 rack mount for the GIVI bags. The rack hits the rear fender support arms and that is what cracked the fender mounting holes. I will have to see about modifying the rack after I set the rear shock up. I also won't be packing as heavy as the 4 week trip to Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

there is a steel backing plate behind the plastic fender ... i didn't see any sign of it in the pictures ... so thats probably what caused the issues you are having ... the steel backing plate ties the left and right struts together ... if yours doesn't have it the struts would vibrate and cause damage to the strut mounts as well as the plastic fender

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear fender / I7 mounts

I had removed the backing plate before the photos. The backing plate for the fender does not have any damage.

It looks like the Industries 7 mounting rack hits the top and side of the rear fender mounting brackets and pinches them together and that stresses the fender mounting holes in the bracket. If you have I7 racks check the rear fender bracket several inches behind the muffler mounting bolt and rack front mounting bolt.

Spyder Garage

Also check the single screw that holds the license plate lens box unit on the bike. Apparently mine came loose at some point because I lost it !

Bummer is you cannot order just a new lens box - you have to order the WHOLE light unit---- $50 !

I got a new one and decided to use a bit of locktite on it--- BIG MISTAKE. I only put a dab on it - but some of it touched the plastic housing--- and first time I started the bike---- THUD - the whole unit fell right off. The locktite melted the plastic around the screw hole.

I had to use a screw with a larger head to get it to work - and I used some black silicon around the edges before installing it - so even if the screw comes out it should still hold on.

Spyder Garage

Mine fell off a couple of days ago. Fortunately I was going slowly in a residential neighborhood and heard it come off. There is only a little nick in the plastic. I just need to go to the hardware store and find a screw that fits. I am going to use your idea and silicon the perimeter of the housing. Since then I have found that alot of other screws are working themselves loose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McGone View Post
    I have an Industries 7 rack mount for the GIVI bags. The rack hits the rear fender support arms and that is what cracked the fender mounting holes. I will have to see about modifying the rack after I set the rear shock up. I also won't be packing as heavy as the 4 week trip to Alaska.
    We have the I7 rack. The only way it would come close to the rear fender is if the rear suspension is fully compressed, then only maybe. On ours, there is plenty of clearance on the sides. Can we see pics of the contact points on the rack?
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Lost my lens cover a few months ago. The screw that was installed to hold it on was less than a 1/2 inch long - looked like a short sheet metal screw. Friend of mine who owns a spyder with the Corbin rear fender gave me his rear light reflector assembly. The screw that came in his cover was a full 1 1/4 inches long - I check it weekly now.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Take the dumb fender off and your problem is solved. It is like putting big pants on a hot chick..really not the right thing to do.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patches View Post
    Take the dumb fender off and your problem is solved. It is like putting big pants on a hot chick..really not the right thing to do.

What are you doing for a rear fender patches? Or should I say, what are you doing for a license plate holder?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am using Lock Tight glue to keep them on my bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Took the back fender off about a year ago. The license plate, it is screwed in using an angled piece of metal that fits right in the middle, right where the last screw goes. Never had any issues with it.
    Here are a couple of pics:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...pictureid=2431

As you can see, the plate is not even close to the tire.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...pictureid=2428

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by patches View Post
    Took the back fender off about a year ago. The license plate, it is screwed in using an angled piece of metal that fits right in the middle, right where the last screw goes. Never had any issues with it.
    Here are a couple of pics:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...pictureid=2431

As you can see, the plate is not even close to the tire.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...pictureid=2428
    Have you done anything to get the belt guard put back in position or you run without it? Also, what about a light for the plate? I thought it was required to be illuminated or does it get enough light from your brake / running lights? How about a few more pics from the side view?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bottom belt guard is still on there, the top one, not really needed.
    Yes, the plate does require a white light in most states inlcuding mine. I have been pulled plenty for other stuff and even my cop friends agree, there is enough light from the middle light they can see it and I have never been bothered about it. About 10K miles like that with no issues. Will get more pics tomorrow.