Thread: Used Vs New

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Used Vs New

Just a thought I have been searching out and going through a buying process. Why is it that those selling used 2012 models seem to think they are worth the same as 2014 models? See the same Spyders month after month on ebay not being sold. Even dealers seem to think these two years should bring the same price.

Spyder Garage

things are always worth more when you are selling them.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

don't forget to add the farkels on a used machine are worth maybe 50% of their original cost.

if you can swing it, go get a 2014

Spyder Garage

Default EMOTIONS

99% of us are emotionally attached to our toys, be it SPYD3R's, cars, houses, you name it... and when selling, they expect you to buy their emotional connection... which ain't worth a dime to the party buying...
    however, those FARKLES do cost a ton of buck$.... so please factor that in as well....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DJFaninTN View Post
    don't forget to add the farkels on a used machine are worth maybe 50% of their original cost.

if you can swing it, go get a 2014
    Most enthusiasts (SpyderLovers included) like to personalize their ride.

In my opinion, adding stuff and then expecting it to be worth some additional amount when offered for sale is just unrealistic. In fact, I believe that farkles DECREASE value rather than add to it. This is especially true with wraps, chrome add ons, striping, exhaust and intake systems and anything that is visibly different from stock.

Buyers don't want someone else's dream.... they want to make it their own.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the thing..!!

Seller's try to get the most, for sure. 2012 was a good year and 2013 had some issues. The mods/farkels/add on's make the sellers feel it is worth more. Now the prices on the 2014's have dipped, as usual this thime of year, bringing the prices close. If your talking RT's there is a big difference in machines but the rest are basically the same. If your finding them close go for the new...jmo..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Price

Seadog1

I'll make it easy. Sell you my 2011 RT Se5 A/C for 13k.
    Last edited by ABQSpyder; 01-13-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are also a lot of sellers who still owe a ton on their Spyders and they are trying to come out from under the debt.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

If you're really serious about buying a used Spyder, keep looking, there are some good deals out there. Check out Craigs list and of course this forum.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

We just took in a 2012 RT Limited pics should be on our site today.

$18,999 and as always free shipping in the main 48 states

www.imotorsportsinc.com

Haider@imotorsportsinc.com

Haider

Spyder Garage

Buy a 12 or a 14, not a 13.

12's should be worth more than the 13's. I don't know, I just have that opinion.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Answers all over the board--and everyone is right on.

My take. Bottom line. A new 2014 if you can get it at a price you like. It is miles ahead of the previous version with the Rotax 998.

Avoid 2013: It has a rep. You get good or bad. I won't gamble on that.

2011 or 2012 are the best years for RT 998 version. I also had a 2010 and was very happy with it. Gave me 36,500 miles before I traded on the 2014. The new owner got a very good machine. $15K or so.

Farkles: I have NEVER got my money back on any of them. They were worth virtually nothing on the trade in. I sold my seal floorboards off the 2010 and got less than half when I had to factor in the shipping to the lower 48. Still have the Corbin seat and backrest.

Over $6K for farkles on the original 2008. Got pretty much zilch for them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Answers all over the board--and everyone is right on.

My take. Bottom line. A new 2014 if you can get it at a price you like. It is miles ahead of the previous version with the Rotax 998.

Avoid 2013: It has a rep. You get good or bad. I won't gamble on that.

2011 or 2012 are the best years for RT 998 version. I also had a 2010 and was very happy with it. Gave me 36,500 miles before I traded on the 2014. The new owner got a very good machine. $15K or so.

Farkles: I have NEVER got my money back on any of them. They were worth virtually nothing on the trade in. I sold my seal floorboards off the 2010 and got less than half when I had to factor in the shipping to the lower 48. Still have the Corbin seat and backrest.

Over $6K for farkles on the original 2008. Got pretty much zilch for them.
    We put on about $4k in farkles on my wife's RS and it only got us another $500 when we traded it in.

Spyder Garage

Default Another Point of View

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Buy a 12 or a 14, not a 13.

12's should be worth more than the 13's. I don't know, I just have that opinion.
    Dan, you may be right, but I have to say that having owned a 2013 RTL, I would NOT pay more for a 2012 RT than a 2013. Despite the heat problem, I've had no significant problems with my 2013 RT and there were a good many enhancements made to the bike in that year (floorboards, improved front end dynamics, better brakes, and a few more). As for the heat problem, it has cost me less than $3000 to rid my Spyder of that problem, and most of that was paid to the dealer for labor costs. (Would have been MUCH less, had I been able to do the work myself.) I have not dealt with the "right foot heat", because I don't seem to be bothered by that. But I could also resolve that (or nearly so) for just a couple hundred more (plus labor).

I got a fantastic deal on my 2013 RT, which negates a good bit of the $3000 I spent to "fix" it. And I actually enjoy the high-rev 998 engine - especially without the cat. It sounds great, it's got plenty of power, and it's FUN to ride!!! I have no regrets at this point, and also have no desire to upgrade to a 14 or 15 RT.

I'm not sayin' the 14 or 15 RT is not a better machine. Of course it is. If I were buying an RT today (instead of in 2013), I'd make my best deal on a 2014 left-over. However, having owned a 2013 RT, I'd definitely prefer that year over 2012 for the same money.
    Last edited by robmorg; 01-13-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

From what I am seeing out there now my best option would be to buy a 2014. Unless I run across a used seller that has come to grips with reality. I see the same machines over and over again on e bay. Same with the local Graigs list here in The Villages.

Spyder Garage

I am a new Spyder owner and I agree with those that have already stated to consider one of the 2014 RT models if it is within your budget. I searched several local dealers during my own quest for a new 2014 Spyder RT/RTS/RTL, but found what I considered to be a GREAT deal online. The dealership that I purchased my new 2014 RTL from is located just outside of Dallas Texas. The dealership advertised a $7K discount and they honored their advertised price without reservation. The dealership was extremely patient and accommodating during the purchasing process which I should add was completed long-distance between all involved parties. And, they were very helpful with putting me in contact with a shipping contractor whom transported and delivered my Spyder as promised, in a timely manner and most importantly... undamaged. If you are looking into getting a good deal, you may want to consider this link... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-RT-LIMITED-/151551465595
    2014 Spyder RT Limited SE6
    BRP Tri Axis Adjustable Handlebars
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors
    BRP RT Passenger Armrest
    BRP Driver's Backrest
    BRP Travel Cover
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    SpyderPops KOTTS
    SpyderPops Bump Skid
    Lamonster NVB Highway Brackets w/ Gripper Pegs
    Lamonster LED Headlights & Fog Lights
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light
    Show Chrome 7.5 inch Spiral Antenna
    SpyderFlap Mud Guard
    Helmetlok w/ T-Bar Extension
    Hopnel 5PC Luggage Set
    Airhawk R Seat Cushion
    Rivco Dual Flag Mount

Spyder Garage

on your new Spyder RTL!!

It seems that Louis Powersports has a goal of becoming the largest spider dealer in the world of by sales volume. In order to do that, they must offer good pricing AND good service.
    Last edited by robmorg; 01-14-2015 at 04:55 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    on your new Spyder RTL!!

It seems that Louis Powersports has a goal of becoming the largest spider dealer in the world of by sales volume. In order to do that, they must offer good pricing AND good service.
    I agree! I bought from them in september and had the same experience. Great people.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Dan, you may be right, but I have to say that having owned a 2013 RTL, I would NOT pay more for a 2012 RT than a 2013. Despite the heat problem, I've had no significant problems with my 2013 RT and there were a good many enhancements made to the bike in that year (floorboards, improved front end dynamics, better brakes, and a few more). As for the heat problem, it has cost me less than $3000 to rid my Spyder of that problem, and most of that was paid to the dealer for labor costs. (Would have been MUCH less, had I been able to do the work myself.) I have not dealt with the "right foot heat", because I don't seem to be bothered by that. But I could also resolve that (or nearly so) for just a couple hundred more (plus labor).

I got a fantastic deal on my 2013 RT, which negates a good bit of the $3000 I spent to "fix" it. And I actually enjoy the high-rev 998 engine - especially without the cat. It sounds great, it's got plenty of power, and it's FUN to ride!!! I have no regrets at this point, and also have no desire to upgrade to a 14 or 15 RT.

I'm not sayin' the 14 or 15 RT is not a better machine. Of course it is. If I were buying an RT today (instead of in 2013), I'd make my best deal on a 2014 left-over. However, having owned a 2013 RT, I'd definitely prefer that year over 2012 for the same money.
    I am enjoying the high-rev 998 engine myself very much. Would I prefer the new 1330 ace engine? Not sure, probably? Would I pay more for it? Hell no.

That's pretty much how I decided on a Spyder from the year 2012. I didn't want to risk a 2013 Limited because of the bad year reputation and all the chrome hurt my eyes. Not saying you shouldn't buy one from the year 2013, on the contrary, but always think about what you're looking for.

I personally did not like seeing 'farkles' on a bike I wanted to purchase. It means the owner toyed with the machine to make it his and you never know whether he did it properly or not. Some farkles also totally didn't suit my riding style.
    ╔═.♥. ═══════════════════════════════
    ║Proud owner of a 2012 Spyder RT-S that has yet to be named...
    ╚══════.♥. ════════════════════════════

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a '13 with very few complaints on it