Thread: 1330 NO ETHANOL

Spyder Garage

Default 1330 NO ETHANOL

HELLO 1330 RID3RS.....
    i have a pressing question for you guys/gals...
    the 'book' calls for 91 octane for the 1330 engines... however, if you use 87 octane that has
    NO ETHANOL in it, does your engine perform well?
    I'm taking delivery of my 2015 F3-S the first of February, and it would be nice if i could run
    ONLY NO ETHANOL gas in my new ride...
    any comments will always be appreciated...
    thx
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'VE POSTED THIS BEFORE

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    HELLO 1330 RID3RS.....
    i have a pressing question for you guys/gals...
    the 'book' calls for 91 octane for the 1330 engines... however, if you use 87 octane that has
    NO ETHANOL in it, does your engine perform well?
    I'm taking delivery of my 2015 F3-S the first of February, and it would be nice if i could run
    ONLY NO ETHANOL gas in my new ride...
    any comments will always be appreciated...
    thx
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    ..Hi Dan,,,...........and took a little heat over it , but I've put about 7500 miles on my 2014 RT ( 1330 engine ) with the past 6000 miles only using 87 oct. with Startron ( to cancel the ethyl ).......I drive aggressively , pass a lot , etc. and have not had any issues with the 87..........I have not felt the Anti-knock kick in, and if my Performance is not 100 % ....99.99 % is fine with me ..............If I DRAG RACE IT I will use higher octane with no ethyl..............JMHO......Mike..........PS on your F-3 I told the 1330 Ace was ........

Spyder Garage

Default THX

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..Hi Dan,,,...........and took a little heat over it , but I've put about 7500 miles on my 2014 RT ( 1330 engine ) with the past 6000 miles only using 87 oct. with Startron ( to cancel the ethyl ).......I drive aggressively , pass a lot , etc. and have not had any issues with the 87..........I have not felt the Anti-knock kick in, and if my Performance is not 100 % ....99.99 % is fine with me ..............If I DRAG RACE IT I will use higher octane with no ethyl..............JMHO......Mike..........PS on your F-3 I told the 1330 Ace was ........
    Thx Mike;
    you always come through....
    as for NO ETHANOL, we can only get the 87 octane grade around here, there are no stations that have a higher grade octane with no E in it....
    can't wait for my new ride to arrive....

Dan

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

the 87 octane fuels sold in the US are safe to use in these engines. You can add additives to enhance but if price is also a reason this would eliminate the savings. The only time I have seen a significant difference has been abroad...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default PRICE

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the 87 octane fuels sold in the US are safe to use in these engines. You can add additives to enhance but if price is also a reason this would eliminate the savings. The only time I have seen a significant difference has been abroad...
    PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE CHU'EE....
    PAID $2 per GALLON YESTERDAY TO FILL UP MY TUNDRA... versus $1.70 for E gas per gallon... i would say $2 is cheap enough...
    i've used 87 with E the entire time i've owned my '09 RS, and haven't had any issues whatsoever... but i always add STA-BIL BLUE to that gas...
    Thx pal...
    dp
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 01-12-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Dan I been using 87 in mine since the day I got it. No problems. I know of 1 station that sells 93 no ethanol gas it in Ft. Inn. There is one closer to the house all they sell is 87 no ethanol that I run except when I'm on the road and need gas than I run 87 regular gas.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NON-ETHYL GAS

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    PRICE IS NOT AN ISSUE CHU'EE....
    PAID $2 per GALLON YESTERDAY TO FILL UP MY TUNDRA... versus $1.70 for E gas per gallon... i would say $2 is cheap enough...
    i've used 87 with E the entire time i've owned my '09 RS, and haven't had any issues whatsoever... but i always add STA-BIL BLUE to that gas...
    Thx pal...
    dp
    .......Dan , remember there is more POWER in pure gas than stuff mixed with Ethyl........justsayin.........Mike

Spyder Garage

The last figures i saw were that you pay about a 3.3% penalty in fuel economy using E10 instead of pure gasoline. I didn't see performance figures but I would guess they would be about the same.

Spyder Garage

We are in an area that does not add Ethanol to the gas. The highest octane here is 90. Other grades, mostly 87, and 88.5.

My experience is similar on both the 1330 and the 998 versions of the engines.

I have had to use 87 occasionally, because that was the only grade that was available. Performance wise, IMO--the seems to like the 90 octane better. They seem to run a little less "peppy" on the 87. Placebo effect, hypochondria...

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

There is no performance difference between using 87 octane E10 and 87 octane E0. You just use about 3% more fuel to do it.

93 Octane E10 will produce MORE power in the rotax engines than 87 octane E0 due to the high compression and engine tuning for the higher octane.

As long as non-ethanol gas is more than 3% higher than E10, it makes little sense to seek it out for most folks that burn the fuel rather than letting it sit.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    93 Octane E10 will produce MORE power in the rotax engines than 87 octane E0 due to the high compression and engine tuning for the higher octane.
    My comment regarding a reduction in power with E10 compared to pure gasoline assumed that the octane rating was the same in ether case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I have to disagree partly. 2008 to 2012 GS/RS will not produce more power with 93 octane than 87 octane due to the lower compression ratio in that series of engines. Your statement is true for all RT and all models after 2013 because of the higher compression ratio.

2018 F3 LIMITED