Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Got My Trailer!!!

Got my Nomad trailer in from Mini Trailer USA earlier this week. The hubby and a couple of friends put it together. He said it was very easy and the only pain was turning it right side up. I got the version with the black powder coated sides. I took it out today just to get used to driving with it. No problems driving - handled like it wasn't even there! Backing up is another story altogether!!! It was pitiful!!! Oh well, I'll have to find a parking lot and practice. Thankfully I found a parking space I could pull through. The combo of the trailer and bike is huge!!! Takes up the whole parking space!!! I would definitely recommend getting your trailer from Mini Trailer USA. Very well put together and you can't beat the price - under $1900.00 delivered to my door!!! Thank you Rick!IMG_0927.jpgIMG_0928.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations..!!

looks great....so what did you put in it.. should make ypur travel more enjoyable...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Make sure you have a "bling wrench" to fit the nuts on those mag wheels in case you get a flat. Usually a correct sized socket and a breaker bar will work. Put them IN the trailer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations. It takes a bit of practice to be able to back up with the trailer. You need to make constant LITTLE corrections to the bars as you are backing up, if you move the bars too much you will jackknife. It is a good idea to put a lock on the hitch so someone can't just unhook and steal it. Also, keep a log of your trailer miles so you know when you are due for wheel bearing grease.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Very nice....I have been looking at them as well. Safe travels!
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Got My Trailer!!!

I built my own trailer out of a 40" by 48" flat bed trailer. Put 2' sides on it and a cover.
    I don't have any trouble backing it, but I tow airplanes for a living, been doing it since 1977.
    I only put about 200 lbs in mine and don't even know it is behind me, unless I look in the mirror.
    Lightnin' LeeRoy

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Don't feel bad about having trouble backing up. I grew up on a farm and drove tractor and trailer for years as a kid. Then about 10 years ago I bought a 5' x 10' utility trailer. Had some friends help me move to a different house back in 2006. After I finished backing up the trailer to the back door one my friends said, "We can sure tell you don't own a boat trailer!" I've had my motorcycle pull behind for 2 1/2 years and I still have trouble backing it up!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    looks great....so what did you put in it.. should make ypur travel more enjoyable...
    Considering that it's the 18 cubic foot model and it's 60" long 28" wide and 19" deep I COULD put the bodies of those drivers that almost hit me about every time I get on the interstate! I would have to do a little trimming but they would fit!

From Cavman: "Make sure you have a "bling wrench" to fit the nuts on those mag wheels in case you get a flat. Usually a correct sized socket and a breaker bar will work. Put them IN the trailer."

Thanks for the reminder, I will try to remember! Also need to get Ride On in the tires!!!

From SpyderAnn01: "
    Congratulations. It takes a bit of practice to be able to back up with the trailer. You need to make constant LITTLE corrections to the bars as you are backing up, if you move the bars too much you will jackknife. It is a good idea to put a lock on the hitch so someone can't just unhook and steal it. Also, keep a log of your trailer miles so you know when you are due for wheel bearing grease."

If you could have seen me trying to back up today you would have thought "Jackknife" was my middle name!!! I will take your suggestion about LITTLE corrections to a parking lot in the next couple of days. The steering on the spyder is very sensitive and I will have to be careful in my next attempts. We do have a lock on the hitch and both the hubby (Tobor 9) and I have a key (he also has a key to the trailer with him). Also thank you for the idea of a log - didn't think about that!
    Last edited by SDM; 01-11-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like a swell combination!
    The combination of short wheelbases, and even shorter trailer tongues make for a very sensitive combination.
    Make the teeniest, tiniest corrections at first.
    As far as the direction that you want the trailer to go; push forward on the bar-side that you want to turn into.
    Then; say a short prayer!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Also, after removing a flat tire with your 'bling wrench' you will need a spare tire to put back on. I got one at Northern Tool for about $50. Make sure it's the same bolt pattern and number of holes.
    I also carry a scissors jack in my 'Ooogly Trailer'.

Spyder Garage

Is the Nomad the most common size trailer to pull behind a Spyder and not the next larger size. Or is it just personal preference and either will do?

cheers
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    Is the Nomad the most common size trailer to pull behind a Spyder and not the next larger size. Or is it just personal preference and either will do?

cheers

Personal preference. Thought 14 cubic foot might be too small and 26 or 32 cubic might be too big!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That trailer is like "diamond plate nirvana"

Spyder Garage

Good choice, I bought mine last year from Mini Trailer USA and pulled to Spyderfest and back covering little over 2,000 miles without any issues and it's big enough to crawl inside and curl up if I can only figure out how to unlock it from the inside.