Spyder Garage

Default Trailer bearings

Hello Spyders and Spyderettes, I have an issue. I have an RT 622 i Mag silver. Last Nov I was going deer hunting and upon accelerating on to I35W in the Twin Cities, I heard a loud scream from behind me. Come to find out, my passenger side trailer tire was locked up tight. The scream I heard was the tire dragging on the freeway. Now, come to find out, you can't replace the bearings, as the inner bearing was shredded. I just got back from my dealer and had to order a totally new hub (for lack of a better term). I figured bearings would be 10 bucks.....81 dollars later, It'll be in next week. I looked at the computer screen off a blown up picture of the wheel hub and suspension. It shows no bearings are in the hub itself.
    Help me Obi-Wans, your my only hope. ps.. I'm no mechanic and just try to figure stuff out
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Ouch!! Made me get out the owner's manual for my 2013 RT-622 trailer, and sure enough, starting on page 25 it goes through the inspection, lubrication, and replacement of the bearings. Page 24 says to check them every year. You can bet that I will do exactly that before pulling it to Rehoboth Beach DE in early August.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default bearings

How about a shot of the back side.
    The front looks normal.
    Tip
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Thanks for reminding me to have mine changed. I have just about 6,000 miles on my 2012 622 trailer. I had it inspected just before I went on our 1,200 mile cruise/spyder ride to Key West and back. I'd say it's time now.
    Again, my thanks to you for the reminder.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

If others talk about replacing the bearings why not yours..?? I know they need inspecting and repacking and back home we would just machine it and go with a better bearing. Third world countries are masters at the art of keeping things going for ever....doing that here may not be cost effective and the new hub will be the best solution...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

to Mouthpiece...........There are no replacement bearings listed by BRP for the trailer. I can find no replacement bearings for this trailer anywhere. The way they looked to me in the scematic was a sealed bearing. My error
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Pete,

The new hub will come with the bearings in it. BRP wants the bearings re packed, but they do not sell the inner dust shield so you can pack them correctly. They also do not sell the bearings so if you need to replace them you have to purchase a new hub .

I did write down the number printed on the bearing when I was re packing them so I will see if I can track them down for you. I have the part number of the dust shield that will work and will post that with (hopefully) the bearing info.

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Bearings are Knott L44649 and should be the same as Timken L44649. Inner dust shield TCM 15192TB, or SKF 14840

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Someone has to make those same size bearings.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Someone has to make those same size bearings.
    See above post.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Bearings are Knott L44649 and should be the same as Timken L44649. Inner dust shield TCM 15192TB, or SKF 14840

But wouldn't it cost just as much or more to find someone to press out the old bearing and press in the new one? $81 doesn't seem to be that much in the entire scheme of things.

I have both our trailers done every year in the spring at a local trailer dealer. They clean and repack and replace both seals on each trailer at a cost of $7.50 per seal. Total bill for both trailers comes to $130 and I think that is good price for that insurance.

So far the hub bearings have held up for four seasons (trailers were purchased in 2010) so perhaps the hub replacement may be something to think about for this year.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    But wouldn't it cost just as much or more to find someone to press out the old bearing and press in the new one? $81 doesn't seem to be that much in the entire scheme of things.

I have both our trailers done every year in the spring at a local trailer dealer. They clean and repack and replace both seals on each trailer at a cost of $7.50 per seal. Total bill for both trailers comes to $130 and I think that is good price for that insurance.

So far the hub bearings have held up for four seasons (trailers were purchased in 2010) so perhaps the hub replacement may be something to think about for this year.
    Bearings are not a press fit very easy to do. I purchased the seals for $8.00 for the pair and did not need to replace the bearings (which I found on Amason for under $9.00 each). Now if the race is bad that is a press in part.

My total cost was $10.00 to re pack both wheels.

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

THANK YOU LES
    The dust seal/rear seal on the back is intact. The front race looks very clean. No pitting or braising or heat soak. The front washer/seal is like brand new, castle nut is good, and I did'nt kill the dust cap that covers it all. There's light at the end of the tunnel..........
    Grandpa Pete
    Peter & Kim Pontinen
    2020 RTL Dark Marsala

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Pete View Post
    Hello Spyders and Spyderettes, I have an issue. I have an RT 622 i Mag silver. Last Nov I was going deer hunting and upon accelerating on to I35W in the Twin Cities, I heard a loud scream from behind me. Come to find out, my passenger side trailer tire was locked up tight. The scream I heard was the tire dragging on the freeway. Now, come to find out, you can't replace the bearings, as the inner bearing was shredded. I just got back from my dealer and had to order a totally new hub (for lack of a better term). I figured bearings would be 10 bucks.....81 dollars later, It'll be in next week. I looked at the computer screen off a blown up picture of the wheel hub and suspension. It shows no bearings are in the hub itself.
    Help me Obi-Wans, your my only hope. ps.. I'm no mechanic and just try to figure stuff out
    I had the same "lockup" on my rt622, only I was in heavy traffic and took a minute to get off the road which ruined one wheel and tire also. BRP replaced both hubs and the wheel and tire under warranty. I only had about 200 miles on the trailer at the time.

J. D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TexasSpyder; 01-09-2015 at 09:52 PM.
    2016 F3T Magnesium Metalic : Smooth Spyder Dual Backrest, Lamonster LED Head lights and Fog lights

Spyder Garage

Default RT-622 Trailer - replaced wheel bearing seal & added Bearing Buddy protectors

Thanks to all the discussion here about RT-622 trailer bearings and grease seals, I was motivated to inspect our trailer's wheel hubs and discovered a leaking grease seal on our 2013 Can-Am RT-622 trailer.

Replaced the leaking grease seal, repacked the wheel bearings with water-resistant grease, and added a set of Bearing Buddy trailer wheel bearing protectors. Following provides part number info for quick reference:

1.) Grease Seal (Aka: Oil Seal or Aka: Inner Dust Shield) - manufactured by Chicago Rawhide (as suggested by others --- I took the wheel hub to the NAPA Auto Parts store where we measured and confirmed the required grease seal part number):
    NAPA Part Number: 14832 --- purchased from local NAPA Auto Parts store.

2.) Bearing Buddy - Stainless Steel trailer wheel bearing protector:

Model Number: 1980SS (Indicated to fit Outer Bearing Cone: L44649) --- purchased from local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Knott bearing number as depicted on trailer hub wheel bearings: L44649

3.) Bearing Buddy Bra (aka Extended Dust Cap):
    Model Number: 19B (Indicated on Bearing Buddy package to fit Bearing Buddy Model 1980) --- purchased from local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Again thanks to our Spyderlovers discussion Forum --- I can only imagine that we have been spared from experiencing a trailer hub bearing failure somewhere down the road. Thank You & HooYah!
    SOLD - 2013 Can-Am Spyder ST Limited (w/SE5) - Color: Pearl White
    Info @ SpyderLovers.com - https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ferrerid=11584

SOLD - 2013 Can-Am RT-622 Trailer - Color: Black
    - - - - -
    2013 ST Limited , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by moorerandy View Post
    Thanks to all the discussion here about RT-622 trailer bearings and grease seals, I was motivated to inspect our trailer's wheel hubs and discovered a leaking grease seal on our 2013 Can-Am RT-622 trailer.

Replaced the leaking grease seal, repacked the wheel bearings with water-resistant grease, and added a set of Bearing Buddy trailer wheel bearing protectors. Following provides part number info for quick reference:

1.) Grease Seal (Aka: Oil Seal or Aka: Inner Dust Shield) - manufactured by Chicago Rawhide (as suggested by others --- I took the wheel hub to the NAPA Auto Parts store where we measured and confirmed the required grease seal part number):

2.) Bearing Buddy - Stainless Steel trailer wheel bearing protector:

Model Number: 1980SS (Indicated to fit Outer Bearing Cone: L44649) --- purchased from local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Knott bearing number as depicted on trailer hub wheel bearings: L44649

3.) Bearing Buddy Bra (aka Extended Dust Cap):
    Model Number: 19B (Indicated on Bearing Buddy package to fit Bearing Buddy Model 1980) --- purchased from local O'Reilly Auto Parts store.

Again thanks to our Spyderlovers discussion Forum --- I can only imagine that we have been spared from experiencing a trailer hub bearing failure somewhere down the road. Thank You & HooYah!
    Bearing Buddies only get grease to the outer bearing not the inside bearing. Please note.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer bearings

Thanks Jack ... a good reminder to repack all four of the trailer's wheel hub bearings.
    Last edited by moorerandy; 02-05-2015 at 08:18 PM.

- - - - -

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Other than this,is it pretty well the same as any other trailer repacking job?

Spyder Garage

Default Trailer bearings

Yes - just standard wheel bearings ... two on each hub.

Grease Seal (Aka: Oil Seal or Aka: Inner Dust Shield) - manufactured by Chicago Rawhide (as suggested by others --- I took the wheel hub to the NAPA Auto Parts store where we measured and confirmed the required grease seal part number):

Last edited by moorerandy; 02-07-2015 at 08:23 PM.

- - - - -

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You guys do realize that when you replace bearings that you really should replace the bearing AND the race at the same time? It's a big no no to run a new bearing in an old race.........just sayin'.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since I had a bearing seize up on me last year, I now keep a mileage log taped to the inside of the trailer rear lid. No more guessing on how many miles since the last repacking of the bearings.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    You guys do realize that when you replace bearings that you really should replace the bearing AND the race at the same time? It's a big no no to run a new bearing in an old race.........just sayin'.
    speaking of replacing the race, does anybody know the number for the race in these bearings? I did get the timken bearings from Napa but it is just the cone bearing alone without the cup or race included. Napa needs to know the number off of the race in order to order it. Apparently there are different size races that will fit the same bearing.
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bearing L44649
    Race L44610

Surprised NAPA couldn't help you on the race.