Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Needed: Flexible Helmet Lock Extender

I've always used the standard helmet clip under the seat to store my helmet when I'm away from the Spyder for a short time. But recently I got a new helmet, and the D-ring side of the strap is too short to fit. A standard T-bar helmet lock extender will not work on the spyder under the seat. Anyone know of a flexible helmet lock extender that will work... perhaps made out of leather or canvas, etc.?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Just a idea, do not know if it would work.
    A small "carbinner clip". They look like a flatted oval and and have screw opening/shutting nut.
    A loop of cloth jus long enought to accomplish hooking one end over the seat hook, thru the D ring then bck to the seat hook.
    I just keep enough room in my frunk for my modulal helmet
    Good luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Just as another option, I have a Helmet Guardian and I love it.
    Personally I'm not a fan of hanging my helmet on the side of my bike.

Helmet Guardian.jpg
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

hardwear store...piece of garage door cable... Two crimp cable locks...make an eye loop at each end...run it thru the "D" ring hook both eyes under the seat...done. In a bind use a big zip tie...circle cable is even easier than the two eyes. One clamp feed it thru the "D" rings...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Another thought ............................ DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET ON THE CLIP UNDER THE SEAT ........................ You will scratch the Spyder, This is experience talking, put the helmet in the side saddlebag (the right side saddlebag is a little larger), or in the frunk.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    hardwear store...piece of garage door cable... Two crimp cable locks...make an eye loop at each end...run it thru the "D" ring hook both eyes under the seat...done. In a bind use a big zip tie...circle cable is even easier than the two eyes. One clamp feed it thru the "D" rings...
    Orrrr... keep an eye out in the Harley catalogs. (They've always got the FUNKIEST stuff available!) You might find exactly what you want in one of them.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks, Guys!!

Thanks guys. All good ideas. I appreciate the responses.

Joe, I'm sticking the helmet in a compartment now, but I'm planning ahead for taking some road trips this season. My storage compartments will be full and I'll still need to secure the helmet.

Purple Guy, that Helmet Guardian is a nifty idea - never seen that before.

Gene, your idea is simple to use, and I'm really into "simple". When not in use, I can store that cable under the seat where it's handy. Thanks for suggesting that. Think I'll pay a visit to Lowes or Ace Hardware this weekend. I'm hoping they'll even have a crimping tool I can use so I won't have to buy one. I'll look for some soft plastic coated cable to avoid scratching.

I also found this on Amazon for about $6. It expands from 4.5 inches to 6 feet. Not suitable for the helmet, but I'm sure I can find a practical use for this while on the road.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Another thought ............................ DO NOT PUT YOUR HELMET ON THE CLIP UNDER THE SEAT ........................ You will scratch the Spyder, This is experience talking, put the helmet in the side saddlebag (the right side saddlebag is a little larger), or in the frunk.

Cruzr Joe
    I'm in the 3/32" cable club, shielded with heat shrink tubing and crimped with a ferrule and stop set. Cut a slit in a small piece of chamois, put the slit over the clip and the loop of cable through the D-ring with the ferrule hooked on bottom side of the clip. Chamois protects the paint both where the helmet rests against the Tupperware and, most important, where the cable hangs down between the closed seat and Tupperware.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

There is a thread started for the Kewlmetal locks.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l-Helmet-Locks

I would love to find a set of these if they still make the adapter for the RT grips.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I've always used the standard helmet clip under the seat to store my helmet when I'm away from the Spyder for a short time. But recently I got a new helmet, and the D-ring side of the strap is too short to fit. A standard T-bar helmet lock extender will not work on the spyder under the seat. Anyone know of a flexible helmet lock extender that will work... perhaps made out of leather or canvas, etc.?
    Go to your local police dept and get a gun safety cable they are free for the asking.Good luck. This is what I did and they work.

Spyder Garage

I have to say, I do LOVE my Kuryakyn grips with helmet locks on each end! No seat hassles.

Also that "hook" under the seat is plastic. I figured if someone wanted my helmet bad enough they could pull hard and bust that off?

Someone also pointed out that with the Kuryakyn helmet locks, someone could cut the strap and take off with the helmet. But pretty sure that makes the helmet unusable at that point. The person that pointed that out uses a helmet cable lock and runs it through the chin bar (full helmet) and then around the base of the handlebars. So I guess if you want to be real secure, that is the way to go.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, were you able to find the adapters you needed for the hand grip locks?
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I use a 6' long, very heavy, bicycle lock cable with a hardened padlock. Although it is long for just a helmet, I can tie up two at once as well it is long enough to go through the sleeve on my "expensive" riding jackets thus enabling me to leave them on the machine as well.

YMMV
    Norm

...Not All Who Wander Are Lost" - Bilbo Baggins

2015 RT-S SE6 Special Series

Spyder Garage

Bob, were you able to find the adapters you needed for the hand grip locks?
    I installed the Kuryakyn grips and thus bought the stock Kuryakyn helmet locks that go on them. No adapters needed.

Way back I had seen the adapters for the stock RT grips to enable mounting of the Kuryakyn helmet locks. But I did not like the color mismatch and the Kuryakyn helmet locks don't come in black. Had they, I would have kept the stock grips and gone that way.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

They won't keep someone from taking the helmets but for hooking the helmets to the OEM clips we use some straps from Camco for securing awnings on RVs. (http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42503-12.../dp/B000EDOSSI) We hook the d-ring over the plastic clip and run the strap through the helmet d-ring.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post

Helmet Guardian.jpg
    I bought one of these as well and second that it is great. intrusive and bike safe, ie no marring.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

What I found that works to lock the helmets and leave them on the seats was a "cable luggage lock" . Google it or check with your local luggage shop. The TSA cable locks sell for about $8.00. Leaving the helmets on the seat does not mark up the side panels and keeps people off your Spyder while you are away from it. I run the cable thru the rear hand grips and thru the ring on the helmet strap ring. Works for me and I don't find boot marks on my saddle bags or anyone sitting on my Spyder when I return.

cable lock.jpgTSA Cable luggage lock.
    2013 RT Ltd. Black Currant, SpyderPops Bump Skid & Belt Guard, Bajarons Sway Bar & Heim Joints, BRP. Trailer Hitch, Trailer Hitch Luggage Carrier, Cat By-Pass, Wrapped pipes, Custom Dynamics HMT Brake light & Dual Brightsides, F4 Customs Windshield, Ultimate Tallboy seat & back rest, Rivco Armrests, LED mirror lights, Lidlox Helmet locks, Elka Stage 2 Frt. Shocks., Clearwater "Darla" LED driving lights, Tricled LED headlights & fog lights, Tricled fender LED lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post

Helmet Guardian.jpg

I saw this on somebody's Spyder once, but my concern was that the bolts holding the guardian itself on could be as easily removed as my license plate in a minute or two. Did I miss something about how it actually attaches to the Spyder?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I bought these helmet locks from KewlMetal . Helmet locks made for the bar ends of the RT. I love them they work great . I bought the two and they came keyed alike for convenience. Here is the link on spyderlovers for the thread.
    Read what others say about them

I found my shipping invoice and the part#526 helmet lock with adaptor I just bought these Feb 2013
    Last edited by Marker; 01-10-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I bought these helmet locks from KewlMetal . Helmet locks made for the bar ends of the RT. I love them they work great . I bought the two and they came keyed alike for convenience. Here is the link on spyderlovers for the thread.
    Read what others say about them

I found my shipping invoice and the part#526 helmet lock with adaptor I just bought these Feb 2013
    You cannot get those anymore per the other thread that is talking about them.

The guy that made them no longer is part of KewlMetal and now makes specialty grip end helmet locks per the other thread discussion from today.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nakerr View Post
    I use a 6' long, very heavy, bicycle lock cable with a hardened padlock. Although it is long for just a helmet, I can tie up two at once as well it is long enough to go through the sleeve on my "expensive" riding jackets thus enabling me to leave them on the machine as well.

YMMV
    Earlier in this thread I had said that I just picked up this coiled cable on Amazon. It was inexpensive, and at only 4.5 inches long, easy to store. Yet it expands to 6 feet. I'm thinking it may come in handy once in a while, like to briefly secure my jacket and/or other gear on the seat while on a road trip when the luggage compartments are full.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You cannot get those anymore per the other thread that is talking about them.

The guy that made them no longer is part of KewlMetal and now makes specialty grip end helmet locks per the other thread discussion from today.

Bob
    Did not realize this ,Thanks
    I really like the locks , and they work well.
    Just read the other post and here is the link for the new helmet locks that Lamont discussed in his post http://lidlox.com/
    Last edited by Marker; 01-10-2015 at 02:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post

Cruzr Joe
    I agree, I would do the same thing. It is safer, and under lock/key. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    You cannot get [the KewlMetal grip locks] anymore per the other thread that is talking about them.

Bob
    BUT... As the other thread progressed further, Lamont posted a link for the new company, started by "Matt", the guy who used to make these for KewlMetal. And they are even better now. They now fit right on the Spyder grips without the need for an adaptor. These things are cool!

So... While I sincerely want to thank everyone who posted in this thread giving me great options for extenders to work with the under-seat helmet clips, I have decided to go with these hand grip locks from Lidlox. And Joe, no chance of scratching up the side of the Spyder with these locks.

Here's a picture showing what they look like...

Last edited by robmorg; 01-11-2015 at 12:18 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Redneck way flexible cable gun lock & or kiddie bike lock. Like $5most stores will fit thu the D rings, most are long enough to loop wherever u wanna try, G'luck[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack