Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Here is what I did to fill in the space left from the smaller speakers. At the top of the filler piece, you can see where I had to modify the 1/4 plywood so that the bike's speaker covers would fit. I had to do this to both sides. No loss of bass and the speakers sound great. I will see how the painted plywood holds up, and if it starts to swell too bad I will find some 1/4" plastic to replace it. The way it sits, I don't think the rain will hit it much. I made sure not to block the botton drainage hole so the water will drain away and not build up.

Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YEA, YEA, YEA

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Here is what I did to fill in the space left from the smaller speakers. At the top of the filler piece, you can see where I had to modify the 1/4 plywood so that the bike's speaker covers would fit. I had to do this to both sides. No loss of bass and the speakers sound great. I will see how the painted plywood holds up, and if it starts to swell too bad I will find some 1/4" plastic to replace it. The way it sits, I don't think the rain will hit it much. I made sure not to block the botton drainage hole so the water will drain away and not build up.

As a confirmed DIY'er I just love it when people manage to adjust to a slight bump in the road and just FIX the problem, Kudo's to you my friend , and I agree the likelihood of water affecting the wood is slight especially since you painted it .............Mike

Spyder Garage

Taking this a step further, when you folks did your install, did you seal the speaker box area and seal the edge of the speaker itself?

After watching the Finless video of installing the JM speakers, he made mention of the rubber style wellnuts and also a foam gasket. When I do the upgrade, will the speaker lay flat or is there a gap between the speaker and mount. Are the speaker boxes sealed well from BRP.

PK

Spyder Garage

I did not seal around the speakers but there was a thin foam gasket on the stock speakers. I didn't notice any vibrations, and I craked the sound on it, but I guess you could put in a gasket. I will keep that in mind if my wife complains about the speaker sound not being quite right.

Spyder Garage

Default speakers

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am going to start shopping for new speakers for my 2013 ST Limited. Just speakers no amp for now. So some questions.

1 What brands and models of 4 inch speakers are available that you can recommend?
    2. Has anyone changed out their ST speakers? If so could you share your experience?
    I thought Spyder speakers where 5.25 "

Spyder Garage

Installed a set of Pioneer 4 inch speakers. Used some closed cell foam weatherstripping tape to seal up the gap. No need for a spacer. fit in the existing space. Will have to see how long they last.

Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    I thought Spyder speakers where 5.25 "
    On a ST they're not. St front and only speakers are the same as RT rears.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default A STEP FURTHER

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Taking this a step further, when you folks did your install, did you seal the speaker box area and seal the edge of the speaker itself?

After watching the Finless video of installing the JM speakers, he made mention of the rubber style wellnuts and also a foam gasket. When I do the upgrade, will the speaker lay flat or is there a gap between the speaker and mount. Are the speaker boxes sealed well from BRP.

PK
    Paul , what bscrive did above is really more than adequate when you need to consider where the speakers are and what they are on.......Would His set-up be OK at the Met in NYC .....Nooooooooooooooo........But on a Spyder on the highway at 65 MPH or more they will be more than adequate .........The key on this entire speaker thing is the OHM's + the actual quality of the speaker itself.........I have JBL's and I love them , I can play them at levels that can hurt my ears if I want and they are clear and crisp .....Unlike the OEM's which go south at about 1/2 volume..............As far as the Speaker boxes go they leak air like a sieve, BRP didn't need to seal them up, the OEM speakers are so BAD it wouldn't make any difference. I didn't seal my rear speakers like " bscrive " did , so my rears have an air GAP ( JBL 428's ).......frankly I don't notice any loose of Base. If were easier to access the rears I would add a trim piece , but I have too many other more important things to do...............Others here have gone with the JBL's for their RT's and really liked them......maybe they will chime in.........good luck, .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Paul , what bscrive did above is really more than adequate when you need to consider where the speakers are and what they are on.......Would His set-up be OK at the Met in NYC .....Nooooooooooooooo........But on a Spyder on the highway at 65 MPH or more they will be more than adequate .........The key on this entire speaker thing is the OHM's + the actual quality of the speaker itself.........I have JBL's and I love them , I can play them at levels that can hurt my ears if I want and they are clear and crisp .....Unlike the OEM's which go south at about 1/2 volume..............As far as the Speaker boxes go they leak air like a sieve, BRP didn't need to seal them up, the OEM speakers are so BAD it wouldn't make any difference. I didn't seal my rear speakers like " bscrive " did , so my rears have an air GAP ( JBL 428's ).......frankly I don't notice any loose of Base. If were easier to access the rears I would add a trim piece , but I have too many other more important things to do...............Others here have gone with the JBL's for their RT's and really liked them......maybe they will chime in.........good luck, .....Mike
    Well Mike, don't launch the missiles and kill me, I got the 429 / 529 speakers, (ebay, new in box with free shipping, about $125), a TuneTrapper hidden antenna, and have the oem antenna hole plug on the way.

I am sure I will either make an adapter or come up with some form of a seal on the rears. Overall though, since the volume of the speaker enclosure is pretty small, I was toying with sealing any possible air leaks and ensuring the speaker mount flange is sealed to the box.

The wife has complained since day one about the audio quality. The above mentioned stuff is the next set of mods. We are not into having the music loud vs the quality. I am suspecting the speakers alone, whether 428 / 528 or 429 / 529 will be a step or two above oem and sound great.

Been doing homework on the install, seems I need to verify I have clearance between the headlamp shell and speaker. Need to build a mount ring or somehow seal the rears. The antenna is pretty cool and flexible enough it should mount in the rear bodywork.

Hopefully she enjoys this mod.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default PAUL,PAUL,PAUL.................

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Well Mike, don't launch the missiles and kill me, I got the 429 / 529 speakers, (ebay, new in box with free shipping, about $125), a TuneTrapper hidden antenna, and have the oem antenna hole plug on the way.

I am sure I will either make an adapter or come up with some form of a seal on the rears. Overall though, since the volume of the speaker enclosure is pretty small, I was toying with sealing any possible air leaks and ensuring the speaker mount flange is sealed to the box.

The wife has complained since day one about the audio quality. The above mentioned stuff is the next set of mods. We are not into having the music loud vs the quality. I am suspecting the speakers alone, whether 428 / 528 or 429 / 529 will be a step or two above oem and sound great.

Been doing homework on the install, seems I need to verify I have clearance between the headlamp shell and speaker. Need to build a mount ring or somehow seal the rears. The antenna is pretty cool and flexible enough it should mount in the rear bodywork.

Hopefully she enjoys this mod.

PK
    ....Haven't killed anyone lately ........and not likely to do you ......not launching any M's either......Unless the 529 is a lot larger than the 528 ( and I doubt it ) there will be NO issue with the Headlite housing ( you are putting this in a 2014 RT correct ????) ......The new 29 series aren't 2 OHM speaker's ........I'm not an Audio genius, but when you half the OHM's you effectively double the output of the Head unit ( relatively speaking )...........This is one of the reasons the 2 OHM ( OEM=4...JBL = 2 ) speakers can play louder - cleaner ...............I'm sure you will be Happy with those JBL's ,,,,the company makes really good speakers............Watch the video " finless " did it's really very helpful and will show you how to cut some time in doing it ......I wish I had seen it before I did my speakers ............Please keep us posted on how it goes ...............Mike

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I didn't see CUSTOM DYNAMICS set up on their site....Where did you see it at?...Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    I didn't see CUSTOM DYNAMICS set up on their site....Where did you see it at?...Thanks!
    http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...o_speakers.htm
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Installed a set of Pioneer 4 inch speakers. Used some closed cell foam weatherstripping tape to seal up the gap. No need for a spacer. fit in the existing space. Will have to see how long they last.

What model Pioneers are they? I would like to compare to the JBL 428/429.
    Thanks
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    What model Pioneers are they? I would like to compare to the JBL 428/429.
    Thanks
    Pioneer's TS-G1044R speakers.

There is no issue with the mounting depth so no spacer needed. The jury is still out on whether I like them or not. Need to go for a long ride and work them at the higher volumes. It's been too *$%%&& cold to do that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Pioneer's TS-G1044R speakers.

There is no issue with the mounting depth so no spacer needed. The jury is still out on whether I like them or not. Need to go for a long ride and work them at the higher volumes. It's been too *$%%&& cold to do that.
    Thanks! That is why I wanted to look at them. No spacer required. I think the JBL is probably a better speaker IMO. But after listening to and looking close at the OEM speakers anything has to sound better. It is also a really tight fit on these ST's.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Polk db 401 and they are waterproof!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacing radio speakers

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Polk db 401 and they are waterproof!!!
    Installed the Polk DB501 speakers on my ST Limited and they fit perfectly so now I am able to listen to the stereo with greater clarity and volume. I think 5-1/4" would have fit without spacers or mods. I wish it had more bass but the tweeter is awesome and super clear. I'm on a new quest to get the best sound from 2 coaxial small speakers. I would like to try the JBL GTO 528s next.

Spyder Garage

How does the grill for the ST come off to remove the speakers?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pwpalmbay View Post
    How does the grill for the ST come off to remove the speakers?
    The grill just pops off. You can pry it up with a screw driver pretty easy. Now you can see the speakers. To remove them you have to remove several other pieces of the console . The tupperware can be a big jig saw puzzle. Some pieces have to come apart in just the right order.
    Last edited by 900Dave; 04-21-2015 at 07:19 PM.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

I ordered the JBL GTO528 today. Already put the 428's in but wasn't pleased with the sound at highway speed so I am going to give the 5 & 1/4's a try
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    I ordered the JBL GTO528 today. Already put the 428's in but wasn't pleased with the sound at highway speed so I am going to give the 5 & 1/4's a try
    I will interested to know what the 528's sound like. Please report back. I put 5-1/4 Pioneers in mine. They are better than the OEM speakers but not as good as I thought they would be.
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

How does the speaker grill come out? I assume it's just in using some type of clip. I didn't want to break the mechanism.

Spyder Garage

Default MAY BE BECAUSE

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I will interested to know what the 528's sound like. Please report back. I put 5-1/4 Pioneers in mine. They are better than the OEM speakers but not as good as I thought they would be.
    They are 4 OHM ??????????........just a thought .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default I went to school today

So here is an article that explains the difference between 2ohm & 4 ohm speakers.

http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com...-2-and-4-ohms/
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Tried to install the JBL GTO528 today. They will not fit due to depth. The circumference looks to be fine. Even with a spacer or shim they will or fit because your top plastic would then not properly fit. I don't think the depth of the speaker is an issue as they are listed to have the same depth as the 428 I have installed. The problem is the circumference of the magnet is a good bit bigger than the 428 which hits the back of the headlight assembly. Oh well, it was worth a try. Now I have to try and sell the GTO528 as I broke 2 of the mounting tabs off trying to get them in.
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder