Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Tried to install the JBL GTO528 today. They will not fit due to depth. The circumference looks to be fine. Even with a spacer or shim they will or fit because your top plastic would then not properly fit. I don't think the depth of the speaker is an issue as they are listed to have the same depth as the 428 I have installed. The problem is the circumference of the magnet is a good bit bigger than the 428 which hits the back of the headlight assembly. Oh well, it was worth a try. Now I have to try and sell the GTO528 as I broke 2 of the mounting tabs off trying to get them in.
    From what I'm told there's only like 1" depth to work with. That's why I heard the Polk db401 work. Haven't done it yet myself

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    Tried to install the JBL GTO528 today. They will not fit due to depth. The circumference looks to be fine. Even with a spacer or shim they will or fit because your top plastic would then not properly fit. I don't think the depth of the speaker is an issue as they are listed to have the same depth as the 428 I have installed. The problem is the circumference of the magnet is a good bit bigger than the 428 which hits the back of the headlight assembly. Oh well, it was worth a try. Now I have to try and sell the GTO528 as I broke 2 of the mounting tabs off trying to get them in.
    Sorry it did not work. Thanks for being the guinea pig on this.

I am not real pleased with the 4 inch pioneers I tried either. Someone will find something will work great!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to dredge up an older thread, I just didn't want to start a whole new one on the subject. Did anyone ever determine the actual size speaker needed for the ST's? I have seen both 4in and 5in bandied about in this thread but never saw anything definitive. I have an ST-S and was considering installing something like the polk db401 or db501 depending on what actually fits and then putting a bluetooth enabled amp in the frunk to stream my iphone through. I just don't have enough experience with these sort of things to know which amp (size, power, etc) would be needed to run this sort of setup. Thanks in advance for any solid info you guys might have!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default POSTS

Quote Originally Posted by Tgwinn View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an older thread, I just didn't want to start a whole new one on the subject. Did anyone ever determine the actual size speaker needed for the ST's? I have seen both 4in and 5in bandied about in this thread but never saw anything definitive. I have an ST-S and was considering installing something like the polk db401 or db501 depending on what actually fits and then putting a bluetooth enabled amp in the frunk to stream my iphone through. I just don't have enough experience with these sort of things to know which amp (size, power, etc) would be needed to run this sort of setup. Thanks in advance for any solid info you guys might have!!!
    READ POSTS #33 & # 35......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Neither post directly addresses the issue of speaker size...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yep, I agree. I read through the entire thread before I ever posted that question and never got a straight answer. When i pulled the speaker grill covers off my ST-S yesterday, i measured the hole at 4in.. So, I guess that means that I need a 4 inch speaker..lol I am thinking I will use a bluetooth amplifier such as the http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Audi...odel+300+black and stream directly from my phone audio to the speakers. Just have to install the 12v power plug and use a dc to ac inverter to run the amp. Now to find out if the fuses that run the 12v plug would be enough to support that amp........ Seems all my solutions add more questions..lol