Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Replacing radio speakers

I am going to start shopping for new speakers for my 2013 ST Limited. Just speakers no amp for now. So some questions.

1 What brands and models of 4 inch speakers are available that you can recommend?
    2. Has anyone changed out their ST speakers? If so could you share your experience?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THESE ARE FABULOUS

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I am going to start shopping for new speakers for my 2013 ST Limited. Just speakers no amp for now. So some questions.

1 What brands and models of 4 inch speakers are available that you can recommend?
    2. Has anyone changed out their ST speakers? If so could you share your experience?
    .............. I switched to JBL ..GTO 528 front and 428 rear back in June. IMHO and M109Dreamer,( he did this also ) they are clear, crisp, and can do this at volume levels you won't use because they will hurt your ears .......I paid $ 100 for all four shipped to me ......they are 2 OHM and that's why they do what they do so well.............People at Spyderquest in NY in Sept. were AMAZED at the sound quality and volume ....PM Him for His opinion ..........Mike ...........PS , We have RT's so I'm not sure the 528 will fit an ST but the 428 should

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .............. I switched to JBL ..GTO 528 front and 428 rear back in June. IMHO and M109Dreamer,( he did this also ) they are clear, crisp, and can do this at volume levels you won't use because they will hurt your ears .......I paid $ 100 for all four shipped to me ......they are 2 OHM and that's why they do what they do so well.............People at Spyderquest in NY in Sept. were AMAZED at the sound quality and volume ....PM Him for His opinion ..........Mike ...........PS , We have RT's so I'm not sure the 528 will fit an ST but the 428 should
    I assume the GTO 428's should fit in the ST. Since ST speakers are the same BRP part# as the RT rear speakers.

I see the GTO 428 is obsolete and replaced by GTO 429. Anyone what the difference is besides price???

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

I assume the GTO 428's should fit in the ST. Since ST speakers are the same BRP part# as the RT rear speakers.

I see the GTO 428 is obsolete and replaced by GTO 429. Anyone what the difference is besides price???
    ​I wouldn't say OBSOLETE, they have been superseded by the 429.........I have looked at the specs ...and considering the price increase I would stick with the 428.....they are still available at many outlets ............probably for less now than what I paid.....................Before you buy anything ...check the HOLE size where the speakers need to fit into....you may be able to go with the 528.......BUT CHECK IT FIRST ................Mike

Spyder Garage

We have been thinking of changing the speakers as well. Are the 428's waterproof? I did not read that they are and I would think that after they have been through the rain a number of times that they may fall apart.

Spyder Garage

Default WELL YOU ASKED FOR IT

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    We have been thinking of changing the speakers as well. Are the 428's waterproof? I did not read that they are and I would think that after they have been through the rain a number of times that they may fall apart.
    ......................Since I have them and recommend them.......in the specs you will find no materials they use to make the speakers that absorb water.......I have both the 528 & 428 and have been in the rain and have washed my Spyder and have had no problems with them...............When I removed the OEM speakers and examined them , I wondered how BRP ( or the supplier ) actually made THEM waterproof ??????, because they didn't look it...........................Mike ........................PS.....In order to get "SOUND " improvement all the speakers have to be the same impedance ....The JBL - GTO series are 2 OHM.......The OEM speakers are 4 OHM's .....at 1/2 volume the OEM's are going to break up and that is what you will hear ............not the clarity of the JBL's .......I hope this helps ......Mike

Spyder Garage

It does Mike. I guess we will go for it. Thanks for your help.

Spyder Garage

Default speakers

It does Mike. I guess we will go for it. Thanks for your help.
    You were at SPYDERQUEST ......Did you hear my speakers while you were there.............................Mike

Spyder Garage

Yep we were at SpyderQuest but we didn't get a chance to hear your set up. Would have been nice to hear.

By the way. I just bought the 428's. I will install them in the spring.
    Last edited by bscrive; 01-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yep we were at SpyderQuest but we didn't get a chance to hear your set up. Would have been nice to hear.

By the way. I just bought the 428's. I will install them in the spring.
    Where did you get them and if you don't mind what price?

Thanks

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Billy,

I got them off ebay for $40 US.

Spyder Garage

Default SPEAKERS

[QUOTE=billybovine;926032]Where did you get them and if you don't mind what price?

Thanks[/QUOTE....bscrive answered before I could ....and He paid less than I did ........Yes are not the current Model the 429 is ....HOWEVER ,,,I believe the 429 is a 3 OHM speaker and that will be entirely different than the 2 OHM 428........It's also 3 X's the price ......There is a lower priced JBL that I believe is also 2 OHM ...I'll try and find the Model for you ( it's a current offering from JBL ) .....Mike

Spyder Garage

You can get a set of 429's for $62 and they are 3ohms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-GTO429-2...08c8d6&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

Default NO NO NO NO

You can get a set of 429's for $62 and they are 3ohms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-GTO429-2...08c8d6&vxp=mtr
    .....................YOU DO NOT WANT ....3 OHM SPEAKERS ......I'm the guy who recommends 2 ohm speakers........for a darn good reason.............Mike .................And there are plenty of 428's on E-Bay I just checked
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-20-2015 at 07:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....................YOU DO NOT WANT ....3 OHM SPEAKERS ......I'm the guy who recommends 2 ohm speakers........for a darn good reason.............Mike
    I thought the OE speaker are 4 ohm so the 3 ohm would be a closer match and be more efficient?

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994...impedance.html

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default IMPEDENCE

I thought the OE speaker are 4 ohm so the 3 ohm would be a closer match and be more efficient?

.........................Billy that's a great informative explanation..................................Do you now know what all of that means.....................................I'm guessing you may still be somewhat confused ....Don't feel bad most people would be ...........In simple terms ..for our aplication and needs ...2 OHMS are what you want .................If you want to get 3 OHM speakers , go for it .....However they are going to be ONLY slightly better than the OEM's ........................One of our Spyderlovers is coming down from Canada to pick up something on Friday....I will play my 2 OHM speakers for Him and He can give you a first hand report......or PM MS109 Dreamer and ask Him what He thinks ....because he got the JBL's also....................Mike

Spyder Garage

Update,

I finally put the JBL 428's on my wife's STL last weekend. They are smaller than the stock ones and a little deeper. I used a couple of pieces of 1/4" plywood to make a gasket move the speakers ahead and close off the excess space so as to not loose bass. They do hit the plastic covers on the dash and I had to modify it a little but it was not hard to do. The speakers do sound much better than the factory ones and there isn't any distortion. A good mod. My wife is happy and that is all that matters.

Thanks Billy for starting the thread and BLUEKNIGHT911 for the info.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

When my spyder is out winter storage I will install my new JBL 428 and 528 speakers
    Great eBay deal for all four speakers. I have no garage to do winter farkling.
    Thanks again Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    When my spyder is out winter storage I will install my new JBL 428 and 528 speakers
    Great eBay deal for all four speakers. I have no garage to do winter farkling.
    Thanks again Mike
    Marker,
    Too bad that you are so far away. I have a nice big heated garage and we could work on your bike together. I love doing this stuff.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Marker,
    Too bad that you are so far away. I have a nice big heated garage and we could work on your bike together. I love doing this stuff.
    Thanks for the offer bscrive very much appreciated

Spyder Garage

Update,

I finally put the JBL 428's on my wife's STL last weekend. They are smaller than the stock ones and a little deeper. I used a couple of pieces of 1/4" plywood to make a gasket move the speakers ahead and close off the excess space so as to not loose bass. They do hit the plastic covers on the dash and I had to modify it a little but it was not hard to do. The speakers do sound much better than the factory ones and there isn't any distortion. A good mod. My wife is happy and that is all that matters.

Thanks Billy for starting the thread and BLUEKNIGHT911 for the info.
    Good to hear that you fitted them into a STL. Did you need the 1/4 inch thickness? I have local source for sheet PVC and it's not that thick. That's what I had in the back of my mind to use.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Good to hear that you fitted them into a STL. Did you need the 1/4 inch thickness? I have local source for sheet PVC and it's not that thick. That's what I had in the back of my mind to use.
    Yes, I did. Otherwise the back of the speaker is hitting the headlight housing and the vibrations would probably brake the filiment in the bulbs. I think I have less than a 1/16" clearance with the speaker and headlight housing.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I did. Otherwise the back of the speaker is hitting the headlight housing and the vibrations would probably brake the filiment in the bulbs. I think I have less than a 1/16" clearance with the speaker and headlight housing.
    Thanks

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

The GTO428's do not fit properly in the rear location on an RT.
    There a 1/4" gap (see pics) around the speaker and you lose all the bass.
    IMO the J&M Rear Speaker Upgrade Kit from Custom Dynamics is the way to go for the rear speakers.
    http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...o_speakers.htm
    I put the 428's in and was quite disappointed with the sound or lack of quality sound.
    I ended up buying the J&M's, swapped one out to compare and the difference was night and day!
    The GTO528's fit perfect up front and sound great!

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

As as the song goes, it's all about the bass?