Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest Farkle - Digital volt gauge CHEAP!

Thought I would share my latest farkle.

Got this on Ebay for $16 shipped! It's exactly the same as some of the $50 models sold on gauge only web sites!

Be aware, there are a few models of these that are cheaper but the LEDs have over glow and thus can be seen through the smoked glass. This model was the best of the bunch. It's made by Xtune even though the Ebay ad did not say that. Here is the link I got it from. It's NOT shipped from China.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121347773499...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BUT!!! I see he raised the price since I bought mine! I got it for $15.99 and now he wants $29.99. Oh well....

This took me all of 10 minutes to install using posi-taps to the original analog gauge wires (black and orange).

Here is a video of what it looks like:

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-07-2015 at 08:00 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Nicely done..!!

Good choice of gauge to replace stock ones...looks great and thanks for the info...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

By the way, first person that wants the Harbor Freight analog volt gauge I removed, ask. First person gets it. Send me $5 to cover shipping and it's all yours. Much better than throwing it away.

For an analog gauge it works well and has a backlight (not LED but a bulb) so you can see it at night.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Wow that is the same one I have been watching for months waiting to see if it went down any. I saw it for $40, might still have to get one.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Wow that is the same one I have been watching for months waiting to see if it went down any. I saw it for $40, might still have to get one.
    There are several gauges almost exactly the same with the same look and functionality on Ebay. They can cost as low at $18.
    However, MOST of them have terrible bleed through of unlit LED segments. The first one I bought I returned because it was just ugly with the bleed through. If you look at the pictures or videos posted by these sellers you will see the bleed through on them. AVOID THEM! Way too cheap looking in my opinion....

This one by Xtune is freaking perfect and seriously looks stock!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    There are several gauges almost exactly the same with the same look and functionality on Ebay. They can cost as low at $18.
    However, MOST of them have terrible bleed through of unlit LED segments. The first one I bought I returned because it was just ugly with the bleed through. If you look at the pictures or videos posted by these sellers you will see the bleed through on them. AVOID THEM! Way too cheap looking in my opinion....

This one by Xtune is freaking perfect and seriously looks stock!

Bob
    Thanks for the info. I didnt consider the bleed through issue. I guess I will narrow my search for the brand as well.

Spyder Garage

OK please do not PM me... the analog volt gauge is gone. Spyderlover user spacetiger got it....

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Finless

I removed my gauges a while ago So I could see the gauges on the digital screen and the plugs are simply disconnected. When Installing this digital gauge, what wires do I connect to what? Will this affect what shows on the digital center screen?

I ordered on of the gauges!
    Thanks
    Larry
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

A great looking gauge. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Finless

I removed my gauges a while ago So I could see the gauges on the digital screen and the plugs are simply disconnected. When Installing this digital gauge, what wires do I connect to what? Will this affect what shows on the digital center screen?

I ordered on of the gauges!
    Thanks
    Larry
    One the right side there are 4 wires that go to the stock gauge. 3 are in the triangular connector. One is a stab on connector. This stab on connector powers the light bulb in the stock gauge.

Of the 3 wires on the triangular connector the white one is the signal wire to the cluster. You do not hook that to anything or it may signal the cluster a gauge is hooked up. There is a black wire. This is ground and goes to the black wire on this voltage gauge. I used a posi-tap. The other wire (orange with a stripe) is 12V that powers the gauge. I would not use that even though you could. I tapped into the single stab on wire used to power the light in the stock gauge.

Bottom line the new voltage gauge has 3 wires (red, yellow, black):

Red = hook to 12V switched - Again I hooked this to the single stab on wire using a posi-tap.

Black = Hook to ground - Again I hooked this to the black wire on the triangular connector using a posti-tap.

Yellow = you are suppose to hook this to a always on 12V source. Unfortunately there is none at the stock gauge connector. You only hook this up if you want the power down animation. If you don't hook this up the gauge still works fine you just do not get the power down animation and only get the power up animation as my video shows. If you want the fancy power down animation then run this yellow wire to a always on 12V wire.

Personally about the yellow wire, I would not hook that up as it means the gauge can draw power when the key is switched off (that's how it does the power down animation). I think it might draw a little power over time off your battery which I prefer not to have when the spyder is parked for long periods. I could check this with an AMP meter to be sure but I didn't. I don't care if I have a power down animation so again I just did not hook this up.

Finally, no it wont mess with the cluster and cause your digital gauges to go away if you hook it up as I explained.

Hope that answers the question?

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-09-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob,

What gauge posi-taps did you use for your installation?

Spyder Garage

How bright is this voltmeter at night? It looks plenty bright during the day but I would be concerned about it blinding me at night.

Charles

Spyder Garage

Ok, too cool....
    " My Serenity "......2017 Spyder F3T....Silver Gray in color,Red dragon on Celtic cross on frunk,Blade wheels,Spyderpops bumpskid,LED headlights and foglights,Lamonster heim joints,Lamonster powerpoint,F3 Spyder cuff, Lidlocks helmet lock,Lamonster air pack,Ron-jon sway bar,Sara Clark painted thin blue line and Sheriffs badge, Spyderpops LED strobe brake and rear turn signal lights, Lamonster gas cap, bluetooth.
    2017 F3T , silver

Spyder Garage

OK responses

For posi-taps I used 18-20 gauge

As for brightness. It's actually not all that bright during the day out in the sun. Night is fine for me and it is not brighter than the cluster when it is in night mode. This was another reason I got this model with the darker smoked glass. The other unit that had LED bleed through was way too bright!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    One the right side there are 4 wires that go to the stock gauge. 3 are in the triangular connector. One is a stab on connector. This stab on connector powers the light bulb in the stock gauge.

Of the 3 wires on the triangular connector the white one is the signal wire to the cluster. You do not hook that to anything or it may signal the cluster a gauge is hooked up. There is a black wire. This is ground and goes to the black wire on this voltage gauge. I used a posi-tap. The other wire (orange with a stripe) is 12V that powers the gauge. I would not use that even though you could. I tapped into the single stab on wire used to power the light in the stock gauge.

Bottom line the new voltage gauge has 3 wires (red, yellow, black):

Red = hook to 12V switched - Again I hooked this to the single stab on wire using a posi-tap.

Black = Hook to ground - Again I hooked this to the black wire on the triangular connector using a posti-tap.

Yellow = you are suppose to hook this to a always on 12V source. Unfortunately there is none at the stock gauge connector. You only hook this up if you want the power down animation. If you don't hook this up the gauge still works fine you just do not get the power down animation and only get the power up animation as my video shows. If you want the fancy power down animation then run this yellow wire to a always on 12V wire.

Personally about the yellow wire, I would not hook that up as it means the gauge can draw power when the key is switched off (that's how it does the power down animation). I think it might draw a little power over time off your battery which I prefer not to have when the spyder is parked for long periods. I could check this with an AMP meter to be sure but I didn't. I don't care if I have a power down animation so again I just did not hook this up.

Finally, no it wont mess with the cluster and cause your digital gauges to go away if you hook it up as I explained.

Hope that answers the question?

Bob

Not sure what you mean by - Again I hooked this to the single stab on wire using a posi-tap.

Can you clarify?
    Larry
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    Not sure what you mean by - Again I hooked this to the single stab on wire using a posi-tap.

Can you clarify?
    Larry
    The stab on wire is the single wire of the four at the gauge that is not in the triangular connector. Trust once you take the front of your dash off (4 screws) it will make sense what the stab on connector is.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob,

Got another question on this gauge for ya.

I ordered one from the eBay link and it arrived today. Hooked it up to my bench DC power supply which outputs 13.9v. The gauge spun up and reads 13.9 in the display. Looks good however the warning light stays lit all the time.

Looking the single page documentation that came with the gauge, it states that the warning LED will light up is the voltage being read drops below 11.0v or goes higher than 16.0v for more than 3 seconds.

So I take a look at your video again and notice that your warning LED stays on all the time too.

Did you find a fix for that or have you just let it be?

Allen

Spyder Garage

I did the same thing on my 2010 and then transferred it to my 2014 (fours years old and going strong).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stevedfive; 01-13-2015 at 02:59 AM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Everyone has mentioned replacing the existing gauges. Does anyone know if the base model RT is pre-wired to accept the gauges?
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Pre wiring

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    Everyone has mentioned replacing the existing gauges. Does anyone know if the base model RT is pre-wired to accept the gauges?
    99% sure it is and it is easy to verify. On either side of the instrument cluster you will see a black disc. Just pry one off and look for the described wire harness.

Spyder Garage

Default wires

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    I had my dash out a few weeks ago and there is a connector behind each of the blank spaces for gauges.
    [SIGPIC]

Spyder Garage

Just added this meter yesterday and it looks cool.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Just added this meter yesterday and it looks cool.

Cruzr joe

Does the warning light stay on all the time on your gauge?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by machead View Post
    Does the warning light stay on all the time on your gauge?

I have not taken it out for a ride yet so i don't know

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I was hoping you could set the warning light to a voltage yourself. I just bought one. I guess Ill find out when it gets there.