Thread: MPG Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default MPG Trailer

I have another post about tent trailers.
    What I want to know is what is your MPG difference pulling a trailer?
    Before trailer? ??
    After Trailer? ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Before trailer? ??
    After Trailer? ??
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. On one of our trips we pulled a small Harbor Freight tag-along trailer but I wasn't monitoring our gas mileage at the time.

These types of questions always puzzle me, figuring most folks are worried about the loss of mpg while towing. Ok, at what mpg loss will you decide to not pull a trailer and just stay at a motel? Or stay home?

I pull an Aliner pop-up camper with my Toyota Prius and folks ask me what it does to my mpg. I tell them I don't give a flying farkle. I want to go camping and the Prius is all I have to tow with.

(It actually goes from about 40 mpg down to the mid-twenties. I run at the speed limits while towing and on some quick hills my right foot may be on the floor. I still probably get better mileage than a pickup or SUV would.)

Go camping, don't worry. If you can't afford the extra gas, camp at home in your back yard!

Charles

Leaving Lynchburg 2014-09-02.jpg
    Last edited by WA5VHU; 01-06-2015 at 11:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage...!!

Where is the happy median...at what point will you or will you not pull a trailer because of mileage... this is "a recreational vehicle" and all such vehicles are known to be uneconomical. I bought the RS without knowing anything about its mpg's and never checked till I came here and saw how much it was an issue. So I checked and found I get on average 33 mpgs. Now I know and still don't care. Expect it to be less and hope it to be more but don't let it be the deciding factor on your wanting to enjoy the road and fresh air...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Before trailer? ??
    After Trailer? ??
    For what it's worth here's my experience. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ar-gas-mileage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

It will drop about 5 mpg with the trailer but you will save $60.00 a night on hotels per night.

Spyder Garage

Where in the world can you find a hotel/motel room that is fit to stay in for $60/night!!!!!! Yurts in our State Parks are more than that!!!

Still you have to have high usage to justify the cost - if you assume a room and dinner (breakfast is usually included) is $130/night, milage hit is 15%, and the camper cost is $3500, your break even is roughly 25 nights. For me, that would be 3 years...

When I had my '10, I had an Alumina XL, and carried a decent tent, two cots, and needed camping gear - plus normal clothing - when I wanted to camp. Since I bought the trailer used, the entire package cost me under $1500, including the hitch and wiring... gave me a trailer to use when I DIDN'T want to go camping too - just me being cheap tho.
    Last edited by Dragonrider; 01-07-2015 at 11:15 AM.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you. On one of our trips we pulled a small Harbor Freight tag-along trailer but I wasn't monitoring our gas mileage at the time.

These types of questions always puzzle me, figuring most folks are worried about the loss of mpg while towing. Ok, at what mpg loss will you decide to not pull a trailer and just stay at a motel? Or stay home?

I pull an Aliner pop-up camper with my Toyota Prius and folks ask me what it does to my mpg. I tell them I don't give a flying farkle. I want to go camping and the Prius is all I have to tow with.

(It actually goes from about 40 mpg down to the mid-twenties. I run at the speed limits while towing and on some quick hills my right foot may be on the floor. I still probably get better mileage than a pickup or SUV would.)

Go camping, don't worry. If you can't afford the extra gas, camp at home in your back yard!

Charles

The MPG is a valid question. I get poor MPG and I only drive about 100 miles between fill-ups.
    I get about 23 or so MPG but I'm never sure how much fuel is usable since I know it's boiling off.
    Assuming I would get a 30% loss when towing that would mean that I would have to fill up every 70 miles.
    That would make the trip too long. I don't know if I would have a problem spending 30% more if I valued the experience, but adding 2 more stops for fuel when driving 200 miles is not worth it for me.
    Stefan
    BTW I have a 4X8 harbor freight folding trailer that I pull with my Scion Xb.
    My MPG in the Scion:
    30MPG normal
    28MPG loaded with my tools
    26MPG loaded with my tools and pulling my trailer loaded with about 500-750 pounds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    For what it's worth here's my experience. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ar-gas-mileage
    So what I can see from this you lose about 10-20%
    Thank you

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

So what I can see from this you lose about 10-20%
    Thank you
    What I didn't make note of, and kind of wish I would have thought to do so, was wind - how strong and what direction. Looking back I think it definitely was a factor but how much I have no idea. I would say that in the main speed and wind are the primary factors in MPG and the trailer is almost secondary!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I pull an Aspen Sentry trailer and when riding two up I get between 24 and 27 MPG.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red