Thread: Communications

Spyder Garage

Default Communications

I am ready to buy a set for helmets. I would appreciate any input.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I only have experience with Sena SMH-10's. They work great and Motorcycle Dave sells them at a great price. We have them for over 2 years and talk bike to bike and stream music from our phones to the headsets.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sena 20S.... the BOMB!..
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Safety first...

get the best helmet you can and then worry about communications. The the two top sellers are the Sena and the Scala G9. We have the G9's and love them but I have never tried the sena. We have a vendor here for the sena's who can help you out...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    get the best helmet you can and then worry about communications. The the two top sellers are the Sena and the Scala G9. We have the G9's and love them but I have never tried the sena. We have a vendor here for the sena's who can help you out...

I bought the Scala Q3 and am very happy with it. You can Bluetooth it to your Smartphone, Navy system and music. Charge lasts several hours and the recharge doesn't take long. Hope this helps.
    Using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I used to use Scala Riders but the batteries died after 2 years and the company made no provisions to replace them. They may have improved them since then but once is enough for me. I now use Sena SMH-10s and they sound better and the headset has better range.

Spyder Garage

All good advice above.

I have tried and returned: Chatterbox and Nolan N-com

I have used for two seasons or more: Cardo/Scala

I currently use: Sena SMH10. Compared to Cardo (IMO), longer communication distance (bike to bike), virtually noiseless operation, long battery life (a whole day's use or more on one charge). Also going on third season.

Next purchase: Will also be Sena.

Cardo and Sena should be compatible with most helmets. I use ours on Nolan helmets.

Motorcycle Dave (a sponsor), sells Sena.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Helmet first communicators second.

As Chupaca says above, get a quality helmet that you are comfortable with then get the communicators. My wife and I use the Sena SMH10 and are very happy with them. Here is a link to the communications system that won the best for the year at Web Bike World. They use and test them all and probably have a more wide ranging view than mine. I have gotten great advice from this website over the years.
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ducts-2014.htm
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Spyder Garage

I have and am please with the Sena SMH10 helmet headset. As you can tell it is popular among Spyderlovers. You must consider who you are going to communicate with. Long distance com function only works within the same brand. So if the group you are going to be riding with all use Scala and you have a Sena model. Then your Sena is useless in com mode with some really short range com capability in BT mode.

2018 F3 LIMITED

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

SENA owns the tech. for inter brand communications the SENA SMH10 and the 20S SR10 and more will
    now talk ANY OTHER BRAND OF BLUE TOOTH units all you have to do is make sure you have the new firm ware loaded on
    them.
    If you have doubts.... go to www.senabluetooth.com and ask the tech dept. using the instant messaging they have
    or just give them a call, the tech dept. is located in San Jose CA. they are on pacific time.
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    I have and am please with the Sena SMH10 helmet headset. As you can tell it is popular among Spyderlovers. You must consider who you are going to communicate with. Long distance com function only works within the same brand. So if the group you are going to be riding with all use Scala and you have a Sena model. Then your Sena is useless in com mode with some really short range com capability in BT mode.
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 01-07-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I's helmets have the cheaper SM5-FM units. I really did not need a bunch of bike to bike connections the 10 and 20 offer. What we for sure do like is the ability to listen to different radio stations the -FM units provide. I programmed my Wife's SM5-FM with the stations she likes so if she does not like what my Spyder is playing (ipod, FM, whatever) then she can tune to her own channel.

Additionally I paired it to her phone so she can also listen to her music if she likes something different than what I am playing.

Bottom line Bluetooth headsets are the BOMB! I would not go any other way.

There are a few drawbacks though:
    1) You have to charge them. I can do that from the bike if needed.
    2) The SM10 media streaming box will drain the internal SM10 battery if left on. It takes about 15 minutes before it charges enough to work again. So you have to remember to turn it off if your parking the Spyder for more than about 2 days.
    3) There is an occasional disconnect which requires you to reboot the helmet system. Not both helmets but just one. It has happened to me about 4 times in the year+ I have been using it. No big deal though to turn it off and back on.
    4) Unless you get ear buds, the helmets speakers do not have a lot of bass for music. Doesn't bother me though and is MUCH better than having the RT's speakers way up on the freeway at 70.

All in all, loving my Sena setup!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-07-2015 at 08:26 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black