Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default From Goldwing to Spyder RT Limited

First of all, this is my first post to Spyderlovers even though I have been following it for the last two years! I can finally say I am the proud owner of a 2014 Spyder RT Limited! I am yet another con-vert to three wheels from the 2001 Goldwing I was riding over the last year. The deal I had with my wife, "Try the Goldwing first" before shelling out big bucks on something we might not use. Well, after just 4 months on the Goldwing, she was sold on how much fun we were having especially riding thru the mountains of north GA. I had been looking at Spyders for some time and have followed the posts on Spyderlovers so I knew some of the issues (2013 and prior) but I was sold after meeting with one of the BRP IE's at Atlanta's 2014 Motorcycle Show who showed me all the improvements BRP made to the 2014.

I found after riding the Goldwing, which was really comfortable and powerful, the bike was also very heavy when maneuvering in tight places or pulling into and out of parking spaces. It was also a lot of weight to manage at every stop sign, red light or yield sign I came across. I had a couple moments of panic that I thought the bike was going over. My wife also noticed how tense I would be and it made it harder to enjoy the ride and relax while riding.

Well, just like so many others have said before on Spyderlovers, once you test drive one, you are sold! We were too! Now it was just a matter of time for me to sell the Goldwing, find the right Spyder and come to terms with a dealer. My wife's only requirement, it had to be satin silver. Who am I to argue with my wife?

So last week, I drove over to Mountain Motorsports in Marietta, GA to crunch some numbers and see what could be done and see what inventory they might have available. Just so happens, the had a floor model available in satin silver. Next day (New Years Eve), I was diving home my Spyder RT Limited "Can of Steel". With the temps in the upper 30's, I was glad the heated grips were working well!

It rained the next 3 days but we were able to get out for a 2 hr ride on Sunday. I am more than pleased and looking forward to the warmer weather. I have taken all the advise you guys (and girls) have provided and I am really excited to join the group and adding many more miles in 2015. For anyone on two wheels thinking about it or those that have looked at the Spyder and wondered what all the fuss is about, go test drive one!! You'll soon be working out a plan to upgrade to a solid, stable and powerful platform that will allow you to "really" enjoy the ride! Now my Harley riding partner is eyeing one up and wants to ride mine soon!

Spyder Garage

Welcome.

Those Georgia mountain twisties are more fun on a Spyder!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default WELCOME

WELCOME NU'BEE.....
    i can visualize the smile on your face as you get to know your new toy better and better....
    you are now an OFFICIAL ROCK STAR....
    expect people to come up to you when you stop for gas and things... they'll take pictures and ask questions... be nice and entertain them, for they may be future SPYD3R riders, that you may actually ride with one day....
    good luck, stay safe and ride far.....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

PS: join us for our monthly SPYD3R GATHERING if you can... SPYD3R's from GA, NC & SC.... let me know if you're interested, and we'll log you in...
    Gutzy, you should receive a PM form John M. soon...
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 01-06-2015 at 06:15 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default YEA FOR YOU

...I'm a long time owner ( since 09 ) and dyed in the wool Gold Winger ( now X-GW'er ).....The 2014 RT is my 3 rd.....and it is by far and away the best BRP has designed......I loved my GS and then my RSS but 1330 Ace engine and trans are what the Spyder needed.......There is almost no maintenance now compared to the 998 version. It's quieter, doesn't smell , has more power , and way better gas mileage. You are very lucky you got to start with the Best one . I love mine soooooooo much I'm even moving to Tenn. just so I can ride it More , I hope to see you around .......Mike

Spyder Garage

Congrats and enjoy many miles.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the "More Smiles Per Mile" club.

If you have any questions just throw them out here and someone will know the answer.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;921371]...I'm a long time owner ( since 09 ) and dyed in the wool Gold Winger ( now X-GW'er ).....The 2014 RT is my 3 rd.....and it is by far and away the best BRP has designed......I loved my GS and then my RSS but 1330 Ace engine and trans are what the Spyder needed.......There is almost no maintenance now compared to the 998 version. It's quieter, doesn't smell , has more power , and way better gas mileage. You are very lucky you got to start with the Best one . I love mine soooooooo much I'm even moving to Tenn. just so I can ride it More , I hope to see you around .......Mike [/QUOTE

well there goes your New Year Resolution Mike..... you are turning my screw to the MAX..... i want that 1330 so bad i can taste it.....
    wish BRP had put it in the RS/STS....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

and
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

and on your new ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

to the Party!

on your new addition to the garage!

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy the new ride and ride safe!
    Toby
    2020 RTL

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CRYSTAL BALL-OLOGY

[QUOTE=SPYD3R;921380]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...I'm a long time owner ( since 09 ) and dyed in the wool Gold Winger ( now X-GW'er ).....The 2014 RT is my 3 rd.....and it is by far and away the best BRP has designed......I loved my GS and then my RSS but 1330 Ace engine and trans are what the Spyder needed.......There is almost no maintenance now compared to the 998 version. It's quieter, doesn't smell , has more power , and way better gas mileage. You are very lucky you got to start with the Best one . I love mine soooooooo much I'm even moving to Tenn. just so I can ride it More , I hope to see you around .......Mike [/QUOTE

well there goes your New Year Resolution Mike..... you are turning my screw to the MAX..... i want that 1330 so bad i can taste it.....
    wish BRP had put it in the RS/STS....
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R
    ...Dan I dis-agree, I didn't break anything........and my prediction is " Everything in the Spyder line-up " will have the 1330 engine and Trans come 2016 .................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of s.
    I rode in the mountains 6 days last fall on my 13 RTs and still trying to find the words to describe it.

Spyder Garage

Default Excellent choice

Welcome also from Australia.
    I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy the experience....I sure do.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to SpyderLovers. It's good to have another Georgia member on the forum! I also have an '01 Goldwing.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats

Happy miles ahead... Georgians are going to take over this forum! See you out there.

Spyder Garage

Congrats and welcome to the world of Spyders. I too made the leap from an 1800 Gold Wing to a Spyder RTLimited. But after a few months I missed my Wing and the ability to run the twistes the way I used to on my Wing. Then the wife who loves the RT also missed keeping up with our Wing friends so I bought a gently used Wing when we ride with our Wing friends. So now we have choices. That all said, I love the RT it does so many things well but does gave its draw backs as compared to the Wing. Your new RT will take some getting used after the Wing but I think in time you will love it. I can also tell you the Spyder is head and shoulders better than a Gold Wing Trike.

Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard! This is your Captain speaking. Please take your seats and enjoy the flight. Skies will be sunny with a light wind from the West. Please feel free to ask for anything. Your enjoyment has just begun!

Cap'n Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on the new purchase. I had a 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager (touring bike) that weighed around 900 lbs. I had the same moments of panic when I felt like I might drop the bike when stopped, and once I did. (fortunately my wife wasn't on it.) The RT is different than 2 wheels, but the experience is just as good and without the danger of dropping. North Georgia and soutern N.C. are two of the best places to ride anywhere.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Greetings, you will sure enjoy your new Spyder. My '02 Wing got kinda heavy so I added a Motor Trike kit in '05....really liked the Spyder and got a 2011 RT-S, but traded for Mr. Cognac a few months ago....much better ride than my "Big Red 1". Could not part with Punkin' so I kept him. They both have merits, I love to ride both and neither is "best". As we ride the year around here in So. Texas, I switch off often. My Wing has never been in the shop other than for normal maintenance....a friend rebuilt my front shock but no other repairs since Nov. 2011 when I bought him!

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Add my Welcome to the group.
    If you belong to GWRRA and they offer a trike course, please take it. It is a good one, took it on a VYX 1300 trike and the Spyder RT. Great information.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

yep, I had Wings, harleys, and everything else before getting my Spyders. My wife and I love the Spyder, but my service dog vastly prefers the motorcycles. Bikes lean for him. HE has to lean on the trike!
    3:16