Spyder Garage

Default Alternative to I-95?

Heading to Key West from Atlanta via Savannah on the Spyder in April. Any suggestions from down that way on a scenic route? Really don't want to spend hour after hour on I-95 but not familiar with the secondary roads down that way. Got about 3 days to get to Key West from Savannah.

Spyder Garage

Default More Scenic

I highly recommend US 17 from Savannah. Runs along the coast and right alongside the marshes. Great lunch stop is B&Js Steakhouse and Seafood in Darien. It will be on the right as you enter Darien from the north. Hole in wall type place with fantastic seafood or a lunch buffet if you prefer.

Enjoy
    SS1000, BB1500
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever

Spyder Garage

Default Did That Route Saturday

Went from Savannah down to Amelia Island Saturday on Hwy 17 and then back to Savannah. That was a good ride with lots of nice views around Darien and Brunswick. I'm happy with doing that again to get down to around Jacksonville but beyond Jax I don't have a clue on whats best.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JMOATL View Post
    Went from Savannah down to Amelia Island Saturday on Hwy 17 and then back to Savannah. That was a good ride with lots of nice views around Darien and Brunswick. I'm happy with doing that again to get down to around Jacksonville but beyond Jax I don't have a clue on whats best.

In Jacksonville, take "Dixie Highway" (U.S 1) and head south to St. Augustine. In St. Augustine get onto A1A and head south to Daytona. Once in Daytona you have several options I-95 which you wanted to avoid being one. In Daytona you could take I-4 down to Orlando and then hop on U.S. 441 and head toward Miama. You can cross over to the east coast via State Roads that run East and West.

Hope this helps for that leg.

​Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Going down the East Coast of FL is fine, but you will hit a lot more traffic. An alternative is 301/27 to south FL, then out to Key West. I would also avoid I-4 like the plague, and any areas around Orlando.

Savannah, GA

Take US-301 S and US Hwy 27 S to FL-997 S/Krome Ave in Miami-Dade County
    9 h 21 min (516 mi)

Follow
    FL-997 S/Krome Ave to S Homestead Blvd in Homestead
    45 min (34.8 mi)

Follow
    U.S. 1 S to S Roosevelt Blvd in Key West
    2 h 34 min (125 mi)

https://plus.google.com/115671257147...ts/7Nfr2Qpuu2x

Last edited by MisterP; 01-06-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default DEPENDS

Depends on how fast you want to get there....
    17 is a great ride... A1A is also, if you go this way, make sure you take the Ferry ride over to Mayport... just a fun and memorable little thing to do, $5 will get you across... both have lots of good stops, plenty of gas stations and motels...
    a little quicker is the Florida Turnpike, which is a toll road, but not much traffic... exit at Yeehaw Junction if you want NOTHING TO DO....
    95 is by far the fastest, but down towards Miami, traffic moves upwards of 85 - 90 mph....
    which ever way you go, go safely....
    enjoy
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Going to Savannah from Atlanta there are also some good options.

We took Highway 83 (out of Madison Ga) to Highway 441 south and then picked up Highway 280 to get to Savannah a couple of year's ago and found that to be a nice way to go.

From there I agree with some others that 17 is the way to go and the ferry ride is worthwhile if you have the time.

Once you get south of Fernandia Beach you can't beat A1A especially if you have Jimmy Buffet tunes on the I pod.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default A1A

Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't thought about going down 301.

How is A1A the further South you go? Is it like it is around Amelia Island down to Ponte Vedra Beach? I've driven that part before with the numerous stoplights and traffic that takes forever to get anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JMOATL View Post
    Heading to Key West from Atlanta via Savannah on the Spyder in April. Any suggestions from down that way on a scenic route? Really don't want to spend hour after hour on I-95 but not familiar with the secondary roads down that way. Got about 3 days to get to Key West from Savannah.
    Back roads to Key West from Savannah. Take 17 south all the way to Yulee FL, then turn right on A1A south take tell it dead end's in Callahan, Fl. there you pick up 301 fellow it south all the way to Ocala FL.from there you well pick up U.S. 27 south. when you go under I-75 south,south of { South Bay } you'll go about 13 or 14 miles then bear right on SR 997 { Crome AV } stay on it all the way to Florida City, there you will pick up A1A to Key West. I would stay in FL City that night, from there you are about 140 miles to Key West. hope this help's.

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Spyder Garage

Default ATL TO SAV

Double Trouble: We live down in Fayette County so we usually go US41 - US341 - US280. Every now and then we jump over to McDonough and go US23 to Macon and then US80. The 41,341,280 route seems to have better views and is a little more rural. The wife prefers US80 so we can stop and eat at the "Farmhouse Cafe" in Adrian -- which for the life of me I can't figure out (marginal food IMHO)

I see your in Loganville, I work just down the road (Teacher at S. Gwinnett HS)

Spyder Garage

Make sure you get down to South, Flarda, by late Wednesday. It's gonna get a tad bit chilly here in Central, Flarda.

Chris

Spyder Garage

if you take 301 be careful through claxton GA. i got locked up there, they say it is the home of the fruitcakes, and trust me it is
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Also, watch speed limits on 301 between I-10 and Ocala, lots of speed trap towns. One town was so bad FL took away the town's charter due to the excessive citations.

Welcome to Floriduh...