Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Comfort Seat & Comfort Back Rest

Is it worth the price? How much is ride quality improved? Same seating position as factory seat? What about the back rest? Thought about negotiations when I go to purchase.

Spyder Garage

For what model Spyder?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I cannot afford one, but my friend bought one of each for his 2014 and said that was the best money he has ever spent. This is his second RT and he did not have one on his 2011. He said he would not hesitate again to spend the huge money now that he has ridden with one.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 01-04-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got the comfort seat for my 2014 RTS and I am very happy with it.Most seats do not agree with my ass but the comfort seat does

Spyder Garage

Not sure about the BRP comfort seat but I went with the Ultimate one on my 2011 RTL and so glad that I did. I like to ride long distance and now I ride even longer.

Spyder Garage

I have it on my 2014 RT-L. It was already equipped with it when I bought. I do like it but would look at Ultimate also if I had to buy it. Need to remove backrest if two up. Mine is heated and came with backrest. Grips and seat are same switch. Not sure that is the way to go, but no complaints yet. Mine was a demo that also included the vented windshield. That is not my favorite. I prefer the standard that was on my 2013.

Hope this helps.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 01-04-2015 at 11:58 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have long legs you will probably like it. I really like mine and the BRP backrest. Seats are something you should sit on before you spend on.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    I have it on my 2014 RT-L. It was already equipped with it when I bought. I do like it but would look at Ultimate also if I had to buy it. Need to remove backrest if two up. Mine is heated and came with backrest. Grips and seat are same switch. Not sure that is the way to go, but no complaints yet. Mine was a demo that also included the vented windshield. That is not my favorite. I prefer the standard that was on my 2013.

Hope this helps.

Jack
    Thanks! So riding 2 up the back rest has to be removed each time? Design flaw :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

I put a BRP comfort seat on both the 2009 RS and on our 2011 RT. I have used no backrests with either.

For me, the seating gave the driver position about two more inches to the rear. I also found the comfort level to be improved compared to the OEM version of the seat on both models.

Cost at around $495 is less expensive than most other aftermarket seats.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You've gotten a wide variety of views, all of which I agree with as far as fit and value. My Spyder cane with the Comfort Seat on it and I find it exceedingly comfortable. The extra leg room for me is why I bought it. I don't need or want a backrest and my wife is very comfortable riding two up.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a comfort seat that I bought from someone on this site. I love the seating position (2" extra leg room), but the seat itself is not as comfortable as my 2014 RT stock seat (I hear it was much improved over previous models). I have a backrest that I installed, but since I never have a passenger, it is not a problem. My biggest question was, would I give up the more comfortable seating position with the Comfort Seat, for the more comfortable seat (stock 2014 RT seat)? My answer is to keep the comfort seat, and use my air hawk if I am going on a ride over 100 miles. Less than 100 miles, the comfort seat is fine.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

At 6'4" the comfort seat was a must! My knees would ache on long rides without it.

Also to others. I cannot speak for the 2014's but prior years, BRP called both seats comfort seats! So you have to be careful. The "real" comfort seat moves you back 2".

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Thanks! So riding 2 up the back rest has to be removed each time? Design flaw :-/

You don't have to remove it, it all depends on the size of your passenger.

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    At 6'4" the comfort seat was a must! My knees would ache on long rides without it.

Also to others. I cannot speak for the 2014's but prior years, BRP called both seats comfort seats! So you have to be careful. The "real" comfort seat moves you back 2".

Bob
    Very good point. There were a lot of people with Limited's that would try to sell their seats as "comfort" and they were just stock seats with the words Limited stitched on them.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I have a comfort seat that I bought from someone on this site. I love the seating position (2" extra leg room), but the seat itself is not as comfortable as my 2014 RT stock seat (I hear it was much improved over previous models). I have a backrest that I installed, but since I never have a passenger, it is not a problem. My biggest question was, would I give up the more comfortable seating position with the Comfort Seat, for the more comfortable seat (stock 2014 RT seat)? My answer is to keep the comfort seat, and use my air hawk if I am going on a ride over 100 miles. Less than 100 miles, the comfort seat is fine.
    I am riding with the OEM seat on my 2014 RTS also. I did add a Utopia backrest from the get go. I do like a backrest when driving. This is the first that I have not replaced the OEM seat on. When I need extra padding I add the AirHawk or Sheepskin/gel.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-12-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I am looking at 2014 rts. I'm 5'8. Thank you all for your thoughts.

Spyder Garage

I am looking at 2014 rts. I'm 5'8. Thank you all for your thoughts.

My information comes from the 5'5" perspective.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Love the comfort seat

I'm an old guy with a boney butt and my old boney butt really enjoys my comfort seat.

Spyder Garage

Picked up the BRP comfort seats for my STS from a kind member here. Initially, I found it harder to sit on compared to the
    OEM seat, but later on found it more comfortable on longer rides. I like it a lot now.
    Am 5'5" and 170 Lbs.

Spyder Garage

For all RT model years, the Comfort Seat gives you the 2 inches of extra leg room. But for 2014, in addition to adding the optional backrest, they changed the Comfort Seat to actually make it much more comfortable than it was in previous years. I had the opportunity to sit on the 2014 RT with a ComfortSeat, and I was impressed with.how much more comfortable it was than mine.

If you want, you can buy a 2014 style Comfort Seat , with or without the backrest, for earlier RT's. I didn't have that option because of my seat color, so I added the Utopia Backrest to my 2013 Comfort Seat.
    Last edited by robmorg; 01-11-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    ...But for 2014, in addition to adding the optional backrest, they changed the Comfort Seat to actually make it much more comfortable than it was in previous years. I had the opportunity to sit on the 2014 RT with a ComfortSeat, and I was impressed with.how much more comfortable was than mine.
    Salesman at my dealership told me that while my '14 Spyder was being outfitted a '14 RT-Ltd buyer sat on his stock seat and my Comfort Seat and immediately upgraded.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Brogers57,

Drivers and Passengers come in all shapes and sizes. There are many people that are able to ride two up and still retain the driver backrest.

Best,

Dave
    www.ultimateseats.com
    877-672-0288
    348 Destination Daytona Lane
    Ormond Beach, FL 32174

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife loves the back rest on ours. She wouldn't sell it for a million dollars, I would and tell her to deal with it.

Spyder Garage

Default backrest

I have a 2014 rts with comfort seat i added the utopia back rest and nbv pegs and i love the back rest well worth the money an half the price wife has no problem getting on an off bike as the seat will lay forword for her to get on an off with me up front the pegs help with stretching out legs every so often seat i installed in about 20 min even cutting seat was no problem.
    Last edited by docat5056; 01-12-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Which back rest do I want to buy

I have a 2014 RTS with the BRP comfort seat and I'm looking to add a back rest...I can buy a new brp #219400488 for $390.14 delivered (list 449.99)...Or I can purchase the Utopia one for $269.00 plus the "quick out option" for $65.00 plus $10.00 shipping for a total of $344.00...They are within $46.00 of each other...

Does anyone have any personal experience with both??? Anyone using the quick out option???

My comfort seat works great for the extra leg room but it NOT the best on my BUTT...So I'm thinking of the Air Hawk option or maybe the sheep skin option...Or maybe I should consider a different seat/back rest option all together??? But spending big bucks on another set up AND STILL NOT BEING COMFORTABLE GETS OLD QUICK...

I know no two BUTTS are alike...

Lets hear it!!!!

Thanks in advance, larryd

Spyder Garage

Default Had the BRP comfort seat

on my 2012 RT. Added the Utopia backrest. I liked the riding position better, but wasn't all that impressed with 'comfort'. Last year at Spyderfest went for the Ultimate seat and backrest. Still use the Airhawk. Wife hasn't had any problems riding behind me with either one.