Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Securing inspection covers

Two disclaimers -

- I have a 2014 RT Ltd, these covers may be on other models, but I have no knowledge of that, so owners can check for themselves

- Before hearing "This is in the manual", it may be but I didn't see it, so I am posting it.

I lost my right inspection cover, which sits just above the vent on each side just forward of the floorboards. The bike was two weeks old, so I went back to the dealer and asked for a replacement.

It arrived this week so I went back to the dealer to pick it up. One of the service guys showed me a small plastic tab on the cover that hooks over the edge of the body panel just below it. This secures the panel with only the push lock tabs installed on it. He said that if the covers are pressed into place, in some cases the tab seats itself and the panel is secured. To be sure it's secured, he showed me how to put the tab in place first, then press the panel into place.

I saw an older post of a member who safety wired their panels for extra security in case they came loose. Because the body flexes quite a bit, I decided to do the same, so I added a piece of 18 ga electrical wire with a tie wrap on each end. If a panel pops off in the future, it should keep it attached to the bike until I can stop and reseat it. A good place to run a safety wire is behind the tab where the chrome Can Am decal is hooked to the panel. Turn the panel over and you will see the chrome piece is held by this tab and a single screw. The other end of the wire I looped through a hole on the frame at the top of the inspection hole, and secured that end with a tie wrap.

Two dealers have noted this is a common problem with these panels, and one went as far as to suggest BRP should change the design to secure these panels better. Losing an inspection panel is perhaps not common, but happens regularly for owners.

I thought it was funny that BRP asked for the old panel back for their warranty program. I told the dealer it was somewhere on I-75 outside of Ft. Myers, and I didn't intend to go looking for it.

Spyder Garage

I recommend 16ga SS aircraft cable with a loop crimped on each end and a caribener so its easily removed for servicing.

No, they should not come off if installed properly but better safe than sorry. Glad your dealer got it covered under your warranty, won't always be that way.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Well, that's strange. I have to exert a lot of force to get the panels off the wife's '14 RT. Same with my '12 RT. Earlier models had problems with the panels coming off on the road.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Well, that's strange. I have to exert a lot of force to get the panels off the wife's '14 RT. Same with my '12 RT. Earlier models had problems with the panels coming off on the road.
    Not so with mine, they come off pretty easily. I know a lot of owners won't have this problem, but it's a hassle if it does, so I posted it. It's what makes this forum useful.

Spyder Garage

another benefit of having Baker Air Wings. that panel will never come off unless you want it to.

Spyder Garage

I used 30 lb plastic-coated wire fishing leaders to secure mine. They should not come off, easily. If they do come off, easily, someone may have lubricated the rubber grommets so they would go one, easier . . . and that guarantees they will come off when you don't want them to.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I've found velcro tape to help. Add some on the leading edge and another along the top edge.
    Tape the reverse side to the motorcycle in the appropriate place so the pieces line up when the panels are home.
    An added benefit to the 2014 is that these panels don't need to be removed as often as before. The oil can be checked without removing any of these access panels. The dip stick is now under the seat.

Some might say the dip stick now resides in Danbury
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Agree with Three Wheels

I learned the idea of using Velcro when I installed a heat block off and the Velcro was included with it. I would rather use this to make sure that my inspection covers arrive when I do.