Thread: Pikes Peak???

Spyder Garage

Default Pikes Peak???

Anyone ever take their Spyder up to the top of Pikes Peak??? Just wandered.... I Have always wanted to!

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did in June, on my way to the OE in Durango. No problems whatsoever - except the cars in front of me that would slow to a crawl in every hair-pin, or slowed enough to check the views, but didn't use the pull-out areas.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Click here for Prairie-Spyder's entry in a thread last September. There are at least four more older threads, too. There was one about a rYding group in the area who made regular runs there.

Sounds like a fun rYde!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks missouriboy and PrairieSpyder!

I never saw a post on here that anyone has ever been up it. so i was just curious. Good info thanks! I think it would be a great ryde. Another one for the bucket list!
    Last edited by kubie; 01-01-2015 at 05:15 PM.

2013 ST-S SE-5 ("Quick Silver") Is her Name
    My Mods:

I Have Added the AM/FM Stereo and an Ultimate Seat, with Ryder Backrest, Power Sports wraps." Break Strips" Kit, GloRyders with the Spyder Cap, Fox Racing Shock and Anti- Sway Bar Kit, Spyder Pops Bump Skid, Spyderlighter's LED Running Light Kit With Fender lights. Cal Si Shorty Smoked Windshield, The 2014 Side Panels, Lamonsters Cat Delete, And an Akrapovic Sport Touring Exhaust.

Spyder Garage

I did Mt. Evans after the Durango OE because the Pikes Peak race was that weekend.
    Got my picture taken to document it and sent the info to the CC Riders Motorcycle Club for my patch for their HAM Program.
    Any mountain over 14K feet you ride up qualifies.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

3 years ago I rode my GoldWing up Mt Evans...its the highest road in the lower U.S. .. even higher than Pikes Peak.. I have been up both on a motorcycle..
    Mt Evans beats Pikes Peak..

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

We also rode up Pikes Peak last summer. We had to wait until the race trials were done for the day after 9am but that worked into our schedule just fine. Butch's ST had the check engine light come after 13,000 feet because of the thin air, his is a semi auto. My manual RS just ran a little rough at the top. I would highly recommend doing it. Now that it is fully paved the ride is smooth. As Patti said the gawkers are not fun to get behind but it's still really cool.
    Last edited by Paula(Butch2025); 01-02-2015 at 09:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

don't let that keep you from going and setting the spyder climb record....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

No Pikes peak ride here, but I have a great mountain ride for those coming this summer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I took my 2 wheel bike up Pikes Peak before it was paved all the way..Driving 2 wheels on that gravel road was something I will never forget..
    This was way before I went to three wheels..

The last time I went to pikes peak (2009) it was still gravel ,when did they pave it??

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I took my 2 wheel bike up Pikes Peak before it was paved all the way..Driving 2 wheels on that gravel road was something I will never forget..
    This was way before I went to three wheels..

The last time I went to pikes peak (2009) it was still gravel ,when did they pave it??
    It was paved at least 3 years ago...last time the owners event was in Durango. We would have riden it that year except the fires forced the state to close the hiway heading to the peak.
    Last edited by Paula(Butch2025); 01-02-2015 at 09:25 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default PIKES PEAK

Went 1 1/2 years ago on my 2008 didn't have any problems.They did make me leave my trailer at entrance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember starting at 85 deg then as driving up the temps were dropping..By the time I hit the top of PIKES PEAK it was 35 deg..

Good to know that the road on the way up is paved now..

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I remember starting at 85 deg then as driving up the temps were dropping..By the time I hit the top of PIKES PEAK it was 35 deg..

Good to know that the road on the way up is paved now..
    That is the information that I was waiting on. Being on the east coast, we have nothing to compare to that. I have however gone up to the top of Mt. Mitchell a couple of times (highest point east of the mississippi). My wife and I did it in August on the Mustang and it was nice and clear with perfect weather. In June, we did it on the bikes. It was 83 degrees and sunny when we left Maggie Valley. Once we got to the top, it was 53 degrees and a front was moving in. As we started down, it begin to rain and a heavy fog came. You could hardly see the tail lights of the bike ahead of you.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    That is the information that I was waiting on. Being on the east coast, we have nothing to compare to that. I have however gone up to the top of Mt. Mitchell a couple of times (highest point east of the mississippi). My wife and I did it in August on the Mustang and it was nice and clear with perfect weather. In June, we did it on the bikes. It was 83 degrees and sunny when we left Maggie Valley. Once we got to the top, it was 53 degrees and a front was moving in. As we started down, it begin to rain and a heavy fog came. You could hardly see the tail lights of the bike ahead of you.
    The road is paved except the last 1/2 mile or so. Once you get to the top there's a store/cafe where you can get warm.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The Forest Service got sued and lost so they had to pave it to the top. "A dirt road is environmentally unfriendly". The Sierra Club sued them.
    I was driving up there in the Summer of 2011. I asked a ranger why they were paving the road because it wasn't that way back in 1997, when I was up there before. She told me about the lawsuit they lost.

So, the Sierra Club will never get any of my money!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    The road is paved except the last 1/2 mile or so. Once you get to the top there's a store/cafe where you can get warm.
    Patti, it's paved all the way now, except for the parking area. For some reason they have not paved that area yet.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post

I also remember my way back down it was a cold snow/hail and my windshield fogged over..But I tell you even tho it was scary it was one of the best trips I ever did..

I would also try the Royal Gorge when you are out in Colorado..I know that area has changed a lot over the years..

Spyder Garage

Default Highly recommend

I went to top last year. Since I was pulling a 622 trailer they asked me to drop it at bottom (a very secure area). No issues up or down. Met a couple of riders on the 998's that "starved out" and didn't make it...I gave one a ryde up and the other said they'd stay with their machines. The '14 purred all the way...no hesitation. Spectacular views and no cornering issues. Yep, JUST DO IT..
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

rode up in 2010 on new rts, great ride and we went up again the next day on the cog train a real experience loved it