Spyder Garage

Default Mr. Toad's wild ryde

Yesterday, 12/30/14, I checked the weather and decided to ryde to my volunteer job at the VA hospital in Memlo Park. I drive the shuttle cart transporting Vets and staff to and from appointments on campus. I believe it's a great for a Vet to give back to Vets. It's the best thing I've done since I retired. Back to the ryde: I got dressed in my ryding gear (jeans, sweat shirt, field jacket and Vietnam jungle boots) and set out. There was some wind on the ryde in, 12 mph with gust of 20. On the ryde back the wind had picked up to 23 mph with gust of 40+. I have to cross a bridge on the return ryde. As I approached the bridge the gust were almost constant. A gust hit me head on and almost stopped my Spyder. The gust were cross winds as I approached the crest of the bridge. I rode in the center lane at 50 mph. I was blown all over the place. I was never so scared on my Spyder, ever. I finally got home, changed my underwear and had a stiff scotch. I then checked the weather and noticed a wind advisory for my area.

Moral: always check the weather before ryding.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeau View Post
    Yesterday, 12/30/14, I checked the weather and decided to ryde to my volunteer job at the VA hospital in Memlo Park. I drive the shuttle cart transporting Vets and staff to and from appointments on campus. I believe it's a great for a Vet to give back to Vets. It's the best thing I've done since I retired. Back to the ryde: I got dressed in my ryding gear (jeans, sweat shirt, field jacket and Vietnam jungle boots) and set out. There was some wind on the ryde in, 12 mph with gust of 20. On the ryde back the wind had picked up to 23 mph with gust of 40+. I have to cross a bridge on the return ryde. As I approached the bridge the gust were almost constant. A gust hit me head on and almost stopped my Spyder. The gust were cross winds as I approached the crest of the bridge. I rode in the center lane at 50 mph. I was blown all over the place. I was never so scared on my Spyder, ever. I finally got home, changed my underwear and had a stiff scotch. I then checked the weather and noticed a wind advisory for my area.

Moral: always check the weather before ryding.
    do you have a baja Ron sway bar? And do you remember to hold the handle bars loosely. I had the same problem riding in the wind on the San Bernardino freeway through Rialto during the Santa Ana winds. The sway bar and relaxing my grip solved the problem. Sometimes the gusts on that part of the freeway exceed 50.
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Bridges..!!

glad you made it home safely. You have to watch bridges in inclement weather. They freeze over first and you are fully exposed. Hug the rails when windy and appoach slower than normal. It is wise to check the weather....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Very glad to hear that you made it back safely. High mph wind gusts can be very disenchanting when they hit unexpectedly.

The information about bridges is right on. I also experience it when riding the high country around the mountain tops. Mother Nature likes to show us who is really in charge sometimes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

i have a weather and radar app on my cell and i always check, glad you made it home and happy new year
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Brideg can be interesting in the wind. As above thou, do not hold the handlebars to tight, which would be naqtural, or it will be worse.
    Glad you made it ome okay in all cases
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thanks for volunteering at the VA hospital.

May the wind be at your back and the scotch be plentiful.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    Brideg can be interesting in the wind. As above thou, do not hold the handlebars to tight, which would be naqtural, or it will be worse.
    Glad you made it ome okay in all cases
    Oldmanzues
    Thanks to this forum, I always tell myself "the handle bars are eggs" go gently into that ryde.

Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE

to your service to vets.

Was riding the other day with gusty winds when a heavy truck passed from the other direction. You know, the one that seems to slow you down 10 to 20 MPH in an instant. With the heavier sway bar, no dip at all, solid as a rock. Convinced me right there and than that the extra expense was worth it.
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Smile Glad you made it safely!

Quite the lesson learned. We have had terrible winds here in Isleton also. I once had a flat on the San Mateo Bridge and it was not a pleasant experience. Glad you made it to the other end without incident. Hope all your future rides are the best. Thank you for your service and helping others.