Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP Satellite Radio Kit Installation / Entertainment Harness Questions

My wife has a 2011 RT Limited. I could have sworn that it came with the entertainment harness. Does anyone happen to know if the 2011 Limited came with the entertainment harness as standard equipment?

I got her the BRP satellite radio kit for Christmas. The installation was straight forward and everything went fine until the last step - plugging the satellite unit into the harness. Right where you'd expect there to be a harness connector to plug in the satellite radio connector, there is a harness connector, but it doesn't match the satellite radio connector. (The bike's harness connector appears to be plugged into a connector cap of sorts...)

The obvious questions are: 1) do I need to get the entertainment harness? 2) if so, any idea what the existing connector is for? See the pictures below...

Satellite radio connector and harness connector cap mounted to bike.

IMG_2896.jpg IMG_2897.jpg

This is the bike's harness that plugs into the "cap" (middle left of the picture).
    IMG_2898.jpg

The last picture shows the real connector from the bike's harness connector on the right and the satellite radio's connector on the left.
    IMG_2901(1).jpg

One more piece of data... There is only one harness plugged into the back of the radio. The second connector has the plastic cap over it. Does that indicate that the entertainment harness is not present?

Thanks for the help!
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

It does NOT come with the entertainment harness, you have to purchase it separately. The entertainment harness has always been a separate item to purchase. The Entertainment Harness is absolutely needed for the BRP Satellite XM radio and the BRP CB Intercom Communications System to connect to the bikes radio system. There are several different Entertainment Harness part numbers so make sure you purchase the correct one for your model year bike.
    Last edited by stevedfive; 12-30-2014 at 07:15 PM.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

The entertainment harness is what plugs into the second connector on the radio so you obviously do not have the entertainment harness. Sorry.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Shopping for a harness

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be shopping for the entertainment harness tomorrow. I figured that might be the case, but was surprised to see a harness connector right where one needed to be.
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderGTL View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be shopping for the entertainment harness tomorrow. I figured that might be the case, but was surprised to see a harness connector right where one needed to be.
    That connector I think is for the GPS harness. Finless was/is I think, working on homemade harness for this. Maybe send him a PM a see if he has a lower priced option to the entertainment harness.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I am not making a alternate ENT harness. Yes the GPS connector is in every RT and that is what is shown in the pictures. I do show a video to make your own GPS cable.

FYI to the OP. The ENT harness is not easy to install. You have to remove the entire rear end of the spyder.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Tell me about it! At least I learned how to take off the back end of the RT! The downside was that the cable that I had to plug into the passenger Comms plug didn't seem to be getting the signal to the SM10. Will have to troubleshoot that tomorrow and if that works, relocate it under the Tupperware and run the cord end into the trunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SpyderGTL; 01-01-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

So it looks like I got a bad entertainment harness, relative to the additional communications pigtail. The harness works fine for the satellite radio - the satellite radio plays just fine through the speakers. But plugging in the Sena 7 Pin to 3.5 mm cable into the added passenger communications port does nothing - no line input audio to the SM10. I know the Sena 7-pin DIN cable works, as I checked it with an ohm meter and I was able to tap off of the left rear speaker leads and get the line audio signal through the cable to the SM10 and to the Sena headset. SM10 unit also works with the line audio input from my iPhone. Do you recommend that I try to build my own cable (or ask Bob to build one) and pull the audio off of one of the unused CB connectors instead? [edit to add the following question] Is there anything that needs to be done to activate the passenger communications port through the bike's audio system menu? I saw something regarding headset settings in the menu. Note that changing the headset setting in the menu didn't seem to make a difference, but I certa may not have had the right combination of settings.
    Last edited by SpyderGTL; 01-01-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added question
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

I cannot say if the Sena SM10 will work through the passenger wired helmet com jack. Also about the ENT harness. BRP has had at least 3 revisions to this cable. So for your 2014 you should have made sure you got the latest cable. It's quite possible the older cables wont work fully.

The way to hook your SM10 to the radio with the ENT harness is different than the basic BT cable for when you don't have an ENT harness.
    If you want I can make you a cable but I will need the dead plug end off the ENT cable (the CB side) to do that.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I cannot say if the Sena SM10 will work through the passenger wired helmet com jack. Also about the ENT harness. BRP has had at least 3 revisions to this cable. So for your 2014 you should have made sure you got the latest cable. It's quite possible the older cables wont work fully.

The way to hook your SM10 to the radio with the ENT harness is different than the basic BT cable for when you don't have an ENT harness.
    If you want I can make you a cable but I will need the dead plug end off the ENT cable (the CB side) to do that.

Bob
    Thanks for the offer, Bob! I'll give it a go based on your wiring definition in your DIY cable thread. I'll see if I can get the connector pins locally, and if not, order them. If that doesn't work, then I'll be sending you some parts!

As far as the entertainment harness goes, this one has me a bit stumped. I've seen that there have been multiple part numbers for the harnesses, but I think they've all said that they're backwards compatible. (My wife's Spyder is a 2011) It works just fine for the satellite radio kit. Sena sells the 7-pin DIN cable for the Spyder (and two other bikes), and I know I got the right one based on it's pin outs. The one thing I haven't seen in any BRP literature is for this specific scenario, where you have the satellite radio and you want the bluetooth with the Sena SM10. BRP doesn't appear to sell the Sena 7-pin DIN cable, and it's not mentioned in either the satellite radio kit instructions or the entertainment harness kit. Strange... If anyone out there has installed both the satellite kit and the SM10, I'd love to hear how you got the audio signal to the SM10 without building your own cable!
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

The Sena DIN cable is for bikes with wired helmet comm systems. I have not heard of anyone hooking a SM10 to the passenger comm wired helmet connector. I have heard that you can when connected to the driver comm connector. Alas, I have no working knowledge of this setup. So again I cannot help there.

Not trying to brag but when it comes to hooking a SM10 to the Spyder I am pretty much an expert on it now for the way BRP offers it.

BRP offers their SM10 kit which is over priced. In that kit they give you 2 cables.
    1) A long cable that goes from the SM10 that is mounted in the Frunk and plugs into the ENT harness to one of the CB connectors.
    2) A dongle cable that connects to the long cable and plugs directly into the second connector (RD0-2) on the radio. This is so if you do not have a ENT harness you can still get BT. This is what many refer to as the "dongle cable".

Now some more facts:

1) As you know the Sat radio and/or CB requires the ENT harness. This harness does 3 things:
    a) Allows connection of the BRP XM radio to the input of the main radio.
    b) Allows connection of the BRP CB to the main radio.
    c) Provides the passenger WIRED helmet comm connection.
    2) You can in fact have the BRP SAT radio (with ENT harness) and the Bluetooth cable with SM10. This is in BRP literature but not very well explained!
    3) You cannot have CB and Sena SM10. The reason is if you have a ENT harness the BT cable plugs into one of the CB connectors on the ENT harness. So you cannot have both.
    4) For full WIRED helmet comms you need - ENT Harness, Driver comm harness. The driver comm harness also enables the "push to talk" button through the main harness to the radio. Just a note, this could be WHY you cannot get audio out of the passenger harness jack as your still missing the other cable (driver) that tells the radio this is all connected! Just a guess though but this makes a little sense to me as to why your having nothing out the passenger comm jack.

Now just a word of caution about making your own cable using my post. The cable I show mostly in that thread is for the BT cable for when you do NOT have the ENT harness! That last few posts I made in there with pictures shows the wiring to make a BT cable for when you DO have the ENT harness. So be careful and make sure that if your going to make your own cable, you make the right one.

If you do want me to make you a cable (I do it for free just cover my own out of pocket costs), I will need the dummy end plug off your ENT harness on the CB side. I order the pins and use that dummy to make the full cable.

Hoping this is making sense so far?

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-02-2015 at 04:26 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Before you abandon the Sena cable. Double check your audio settings. I think there is something in there for headset. If I remember correctly, (I don't always). Since the entertainment harness activates the passenger volume control. Make sure the passenger volume is not too low or muted.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Before you abandon the Sena cable. Double check your audio settings. I think there is something in there for headset. If I remember correctly, (I don't always). Since the entertainment harness activates the passenger volume control. Make sure the passenger volume is not too low or muted.
    Well the bottom line is having the SM10 connect through the passenger comm connector is not the best way.
    Too many connectors, etc. Direct connect to the radio's output is really the best way.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Before I tear the body panels off for the third time, I'll check the passenger audio volume. There are some headset setting options through the main display on radio, but I haven't seen any description of what those settings mean. I hadn't played with the passenger controls, either.

Bob - I agree that connecting through the passenger Comms connection isn't the most straight forward way to go, primarily since there's no "plug and play" connection approach to the SM10 in either the trunk or the frunk. It could be that BRP intends it to come off of the driver's Comms connection in order to make you buy another harness ang go to their preferred frunk location. I just haven't seen that wiring diagram written down anywhere. On the other hand, you theoretically wouldn't need the Comms connectors since you could assume at least one rider is using a Bluetooth headset (wouldn't need the SM10 otherwise).

In looking at the pictures of the two harnesses that come with the BRP dongle kit, any idea if the harness with the line audio connector and power connector plug into either the entertainment harness at one of the two CB connectors or the supplied harness that plugs into the radio where the entertainment harness plugs in? That may be their standard method when you do have the entertainment harness - plug the second harness into the CB connector and toss the short harness that plugs into the radio.

Thanks for for the reminder on using the CB connector. Do you know if it matters which one? I seem to recall that you had pics of both.

thanks for all the help and advise!!
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

In looking at the pictures of the two harnesses that come with the BRP dongle kit, any idea if the harness with the line audio connector and power connector plug into either the entertainment harness at one of the two CB connectors or the supplied harness that plugs into the radio where the entertainment harness plugs in? That may be their standard method when you do have the entertainment harness - plug the second harness into the CB connector and toss the short harness that plugs into the radio.

Thanks for for the reminder on using the CB connector. Do you know if it matters which one? I seem to recall that you had pics of both.

thanks for all the help and advise!!
    That's what I said. The BRP SM10 cable (long one) plugs directly into one of the CB connectors of the ENT harness. If you don't have the ENT harness then you connect the small dongle to the radio (RD0-2) and then the long cable plugs into that smaller cable. This is why there are the 2 cables in the BRP kit.

On the right side of the bike in front of the right saddle bag and up top near the passenger grip, there will be 3 connectors. One of them is not part of the ENT harness. This is the GPS connector and is on every RT. Then you will see 2 connectors snapped together. These are the CB connectors. One of them has a lot of yellow wires. You don't use that one for the BT cable. The other has more blue and grey wires. That's the one the BT cable connects to.

Picture below shows the back side of these plug.

Ent_harness_CB_conn_BT_wiring.jpg

FYI there are 2 mistakes in this pic. Top row far right pin should be labeled Pin 6 not pin 5.
    Only wire on the bottom row should be labeled pin 5 not pin 4.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-03-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS GPS installation

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    That's what I said. The BRP SM10 cable (long one) plugs directly into one of the CB connectors of the ENT harness. If you don't have the ENT harness then you connect the small dongle to the radio (RD0-2) and then the long cable plugs into that smaller cable. This is why there are the 2 cables in the BRP kit.

On the right side of the bike in front of the right saddle bag and up top near the passenger grip, there will be 3 connectors. One of them is not part of the ENT harness. This is the GPS connector and is on every RT. Then you will see 2 connectors snapped together. These are the CB connectors. One of them has a lot of yellow wires. You don't use that one for the BT cable. The other has more blue and grey wires. That's the one the BT cable connects to.

Picture below shows the back side of these plug.

Ent_harness_CB_conn_BT_wiring.jpg

FYI there are 2 mistakes in this pic. Top row far right pin should be labeled Pin 6 not pin 5.
    Only wire on the bottom row should be labeled pin 5 not pin 4.

Bob
    Thanks for all of the great info. I am installing my Zumo 550 I've had for years on my 2014 RTS. I purchased the GPS harness kit 710002182 and can't find the mating connector near the radio. Does the 2014 use this harness? I do see the audio connector near the fuel tank.
    Last edited by Dgdecker; 01-03-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    2014 RTS SM6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dgdecker View Post
    Thanks for all of the great info. I am installing my Zumo 550 I've had for years on my 2014 RTS. I purchased the GPS harness kit 710002182 and can't find the mating connector near the radio. Does the 2014 use this harness? I do see the audio connector near the fuel tank.
    As Mr. Bovine stated. The 2014 comes with the cable. That cable connects to the connector where I stated. You have to remove the right side panel to get at that connector which is in front of the right saddle bag and up top near the passenger hand grip.

If you want to see where it is on my 2011, this post I show a video of making your own GPS cable and where the connector is.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...V-outlet-video

But on your 2014 you do not have to do that because you have the audio and power connectors already at the gas tank.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

The 2014 RT does not use the harness that comes with the GPS mount kit. Feel free to PM me and I will send you my phone number. I have installed a GPS on a 2010 and a 2014 RT.
    2014 Timeless Black RTS/SE - BRP CB/Comm System; BRP Zumo 660 GPS System; BRP Cellphone Interface; BRP ST-1 Helmets w/BRP Headsets; BRP XM Radio; BRP Tri-Axis Handlebars; BRP Adj Wind Deflectors; BRP Adj Vent Windshield; BRP Comfort Seat & Utopia Backrest; Corbin Armrests; HMT Brake Light; TricLED 3/4 Brake & Running Lights; TricLED Fender Lights & Rr Cargo Lights; CD Fender TIPS Kit; Bump Skid; Scorpio i900 Alarm; Touratech GPS Locking Mount; NBV Highway Mounts; BBP Brake Pedal, Stebel horn.

Spyder Garage

Default Let There Be Music!

Finally got the line audio to the Sena SM10 in the trunk. I had to take a slightly different tack from adding wiring pins to the existing CB connector cap. Reason why is that the connector cap that came with the entertainment harness is covered with epoxy (see picture). I also didn't want to wait on a new connector to show up. Based on Bob's wiring information, I just cut the appropriate wires from the CB connector and spliced them to the line audio cable going to the SM10. Second pic is of the wiring connection for the line audio cable prior to getting everything covered up. All's well that ends well! Thanks for the help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

Finally got the line audio to the Sena SM10 in the trunk. I had to take a slightly different tack from adding wiring pins to the existing CB connector cap. Reason why is that the connector cap that came with the entertainment harness is covered with epoxy (see picture). I also didn't want to wait on a new connector to show up. Based on Bob's wiring information, I just cut the appropriate wires from the CB connector and spliced them to the line audio cable going to the SM10. Second pic is of the wiring connection for the line audio cable prior to getting everything covered up. All's well that ends well! Thanks for the help!!
    Glad you got it but I have to say that sucks that BRP is now doing that!
    When someone asks me to make them a cable, I ask them to remove that end plug and send it to me. Seems BRP is now doing this Epoxy thing to stop people from making cables! Or possibly to save money instead of paying for the rubber hole plugs. Either way this puts a damper on DIY!!!!

Can you tell if the epoxy is covering the green rubber hole plugs or are the plugs not there at all?

First time I have seen this but I also have not done a BT-ENT cable for a 2014 or the newest ENT harness.

So now I either have to go find that plug part on Mouser (shouldn't be too hard) or I wonder if you could tap out that epoxy blob using a small jewelers screw driver from the other side.

Thanks for the info.
    Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-04-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

OK looking at this picture it is clear BRP is doing this so people do not make their own cable!

The other CB connector is not epoxied off!

Sheesh......

OK time to find the plug on Mouser and post the part number.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Default OK got it!

OK so I looked up the connector. BRP uses mostly Delphi automotive connectors.

In this case these are the GT-150 model.

Here is the data sheet.

http://catalog.delphi.com/connectors...hure/gt150.pdf

So we need what is on page 6 of the PDF.
    Male connector 12 pin Delphi part# 15326854
    Mouser electronics part# 829-15326854

Male pins for that plug are:
    Delphi part# 15326268
    Mouser part# 829-15326268

If you want the rubber plugs to seal off unused holes from water:
    Delphi part# 15305171
    Mouser part# 829-15305171
    But you can do that with silicon sealant.

If you want the rubber cable seals (they go around wires in holes that have pins) to seal off holes
    Delphi part# 15366021
    Mouser part# 829-15366021

So BRP, your wasting money now spending the time to seal that off with epoxy so the plug cannot be used to make your own cable!
    I wish you would spend more of that money on other reasons like things you have neglected to fix for years!!
    The Delphi plug from Mouser is $1.00 I am sure it is costing you more than $1 to epoxy that off!

All up all in the parts above cost about $10....

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-04-2015 at 01:42 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Carl question please.....

On the XM radio side of the ENT harness wasn't there a dummy plug on that as well?
    Was it not the same plug as the epoxied CB plug?

I have never seen what the XM radio side of the ENT harness looks like.
    If you have that dummy plug, can you take a picture of it for me please?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, it certainly crossed my mind that the end of that CBXM connector/cap was epoxied so it couldn't be used as a functioning connector, just as a cap. Of the three caps that came with the harness, this was the only one that was epoxied on the end. I had to install the little green plugs myself into the holes in the other two connectors/caps, so there's no reason they couldn't have had me do the same with this one. One thing to note in this particular cap is that there are two male pins installed on one end of the connector, top and bottom row, and they appear to be mated in the epoxy. You can see the wires (or whatever buried in the epoxy) in the first picture. The epoxy was in there very solid - I tried cutting it with a box cutter blade and prying it out with a flat head screwdriver. Didn't get far enough to tell if the wire holes were filled as well.

As far as the third cap for the driver's headset connection, on the LH side, I don't have a picture of it. I was only working on the RH side of the Spyder last night. I was wondering if it was interchangeable with the CB/XM cap. I'm pretty sure it isn't. I did give a passing thought to pulling off the RH panels last night to look at it, but decided not to.

I did take a picture of the CB/XM cap (second pic). (I thought it was the connector part number, but I see it's the material code.) The third picture is the entertainment harness configuration.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420400126.219087.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420400134.147515.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420400142.094463.jpg

Carl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SpyderGTL; 01-04-2015 at 02:54 PM.
    - Carl

Spyder Garage

Here's a picture of the LH side connections in the installation instructions. It looks like the driver's headset connector is possibly a 4x2 configuration. BTW, the entertainment harness PN used was 219400610, from June, 2014. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420401947.097254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl