Spyder Garage

Default Need help with an electronic issue

I have a new 2014 RT and have successfully installed a Valentine radar detector and a 2720 Garmin Streetpilot GPS and using the black boxes from Kennendy Technologies that I cannibalized from my !800 Gold Wing I now have the audio output from both of these units feeding into the BRP Auxiliary to DIN adapter which then connects me to the 7 pin DIN plug in the top trunk [ the same DIN plug that uses the iPod adapter] which then feeds sound from the radar detcetor and GPS into the oem radio and I can hear it through the radio speakers, and as I have in my case connected ear bud speakers to the wires from the front speakers and so I can hear them in my helmet.
    All this has worked well, but what I want is to be able to listen to my iPod mounted in the trunk and connected through the adapter in the trunk. I thought that by splicing the audio input from the Valentine and the Garmin into the appropriate audio output wires in the iPod adapter I would then hear both the iPod music and the Valantine and Garmin. Using Positaps I tapped into each of the seven wires, one at a time, in the iPod adapter cable hoping to hear the Valenti and GPS override the music. The iPod plays fine, but there is no sound coming from GPS and Valentiine. Am I way off in my reasoning? or is there some hidden electronic magic that I am unaware of? Help!
    Thanks
    Andy
    My wife and I circumnavigated the globe on our trimaran sailboat, gone 8 years
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2003 1800 Gold Wing with Hannigan sidecar
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Default electronic mystery

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    What happens inside the radio-sonic box is a bit of a mystery because they simply don’t provide schematics.
    I’m guessing that you have to enable the built in mixer.
    I’ll see what I can come up with.
    A "built in Mixer" is that something one does at a far out NewYears Eve Party for weirdoes????
    I couldnt resist. I know everyone likes a little a$$, but nobody likes smarta$$
    Andy
    Cushman Eagle, 1954 Corvette, 1964 Corvette with Duntov cam, 1996 Corvette, Chrysler 300 Hemi,
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    I have a new 2014 RT and have successfully installed a Valentine radar detector and a 2720 Garmin Streetpilot GPS and using the black boxes from Kennendy Technologies that I cannibalized from my !800 Gold Wing I now have the audio output from both of these units feeding into the BRP Auxiliary to DIN adapter which then connects me to the 7 pin DIN plug in the top trunk [ the same DIN plug that uses the iPod adapter] which then feeds sound from the radar detcetor and GPS into the oem radio and I can hear it through the radio speakers, and as I have in my case connected ear bud speakers to the wires from the front speakers and so I can hear them in my helmet.
    All this has worked well, but what I want is to be able to listen to my iPod mounted in the trunk and connected through the adapter in the trunk. I thought that by splicing the audio input from the Valentine and the Garmin into the appropriate audio output wires in the iPod adapter I would then hear both the iPod music and the Valantine and Garmin. Using Positaps I tapped into each of the seven wires, one at a time, in the iPod adapter cable hoping to hear the Valenti and GPS override the music. The iPod plays fine, but there is no sound coming from GPS and Valentiine. Am I way off in my reasoning? or is there some hidden electronic magic that I am unaware of? Help!
    Thanks
    Andy
    I have tried over the years to hear my v1 into my helmet also had it plugged in with a coiled cord hassle when you get on and off then had a Bluetooth dongle to my communicators hassle because it required charging seperately then I found an easy answer they make a superbrite led extension that will plug into the output on the v1 then you can put it out and in your line of site it is super brite and about 1 in sq it works perfect even in full sunlite I will try to find the name of it and post. Marc Parnes is the supplier of the led
    Last edited by r1100rider; 01-01-2015 at 01:24 PM.
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default cant hear the Valentine,GPS and iPod at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I have tried over the years to hear my v1 into my helmet also had it plugged in with a coiled cord hassle when you get on and off then had a Bluetooth dongle to my communicators hassle because it required charging seperately then I found an easy answer they make a superbrite led extension that will plug into the output on the v1 then you can put it out and in your line of site it is super brite and about 1 in sq it works perfect even in full sunlite I will try to find the name of it and post. Marc Parnes is the supplier of the led
    Thanks for the info about the led light, I have a friend who uses one and that may be my last resort, but in the meantime I willcontinue to strive for a solution that will allow me to use the iPod as intended and hear the Valentine and Gps. I have looked at the MIxit product and I may be able to use that.
    thanks
    Andy
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    What happens inside the radio-sonic box is a bit of a mystery because they simply don’t provide schematics.
    I’m guessing that you have to enable the built in mixer.
    I’ll see what I can come up with.
    Hi Roger,
    Currently I am away from home and without the Spyder, but I have been thinking about it. I have a male 1/8 jack attached to the right rear side of the gas tank that goes into the loom that eventually goes into the front of the radio, have no idea what its for, but once home I will take off the tupperware and connect the audio output from the Valentine/gps and see what happens.
    Option two: if the above produces no results I will get the MIxit product , cut the two audio outpout wires in the oem iPod/DIN adapter, route these wires to the 1/8 input jacks on the Mixit, plug the 1/8 jack from the Valentine/gps into the input of the Mixit then plug a 1/8 jack into the Mixit output jack and tie these wires into the other cut ends of the oem iPod/DIN adapter. That way the mixing will be done before the signal enters into the DIN plug in the trunk. In my simple non electronic mind this seems like a solution, What do you think?
    Andy
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Cserny View Post
    Hi Roger,
    Currently I am away from home and without the Spyder, but I have been thinking about it. I have a male 1/8 jack attached to the right rear side of the gas tank that goes into the loom that eventually goes into the front of the radio, have no idea what its for, but once home I will take off the tupperware and connect the audio output from the Valentine/gps and see what happens.
    That's the one you should have used in the first place! That is the GPS input into the audio system, which is exactly what you are looking for!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    That's the one you should have used in the first place! That is the GPS input into the audio system, which is exactly what you are looking for!
    +100 and through PM's I told him the same. What he did not tell me was he already had the GPS connector so I was pointing him at earlier model Spyders where you found the base connector in front of the radio.

However, when he was asking me, I was unaware the 2014's came with the GPS connector already with the Audio and Power connectors already at the gas tank!
    Now I know so moving forward it's much easier for someone to make their own cable from the GPS for 2014 models!

Live and learn!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-04-2015 at 09:50 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    However, when he was asking me, I was unaware the 2014's came with the GPS connector already with the Audio and Power connectors already at the gas tank!
    Now I know so moving forward it's much easier for someone to make their own cable from the GPS for 2014 models!
    Someone pointed that out in some message back in February and I noted that in my non-BRP GPS installation thread in February. I've had it in my mind since that it was you, but I guess it must have been someone else! I just looked and have no link to the specific thread where it was mentioned.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Bob, I just can't resist!! Post #19 from here http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...V-outlet-video.
    Great info for the 2014 RT Rick! Having the first half of the GPS cable there already (you have to add this part on 2010-12) I am sure will help people and be easier!

Thanks for adding to the post.

Bob
    See, there really is a benefit to aging memory. Old stuff can always be new again!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default connecting the gps

If any of you have seen the movie with Paul Newman "Cool Hand Luke" what we have here is a breakdown in communication!!!
    I am away from home, suffering from the heat in the Gulf of Mexico, but when I get home I will remove the tupperware and connect my audio output from the Valentin/gps and see what happens.
    Thanks for all the help
    Andy
    2014 Spyder RT
    IBA41956
    DS446