Thread: GPS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS

I pick up my new RT on Tuesday. The one I had before was a limited and this is an RT-S. So it does not come with GPS. Any suggestions on mounts and a good GPS for motorcycles? Thank for any help.

Scott

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

I use the same one from my car. Works great Garmin 1300 series. Many are using the gps on their phones some have mounted their tablets. Now youcan get the factory unit and be like you were for big bucks but how much do you use it. I hardly ever do so it is in the frunk most of the time. Ram has many mounts and JT a sponsor here has the best mounting bar around. Just some options...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

dshogman@gmail.com This is the email address of David Horn. He has a 2013 with a great hookup/mount for his Garmin. I am not sure which Garmin he has, but he uses it a lot and will be glad to help you. Tell him you got his address from me in your email subject so he will open it. George Lewis

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

on my 2010 RT S. I bought the BRP mount and then bought the garmin Zumo 660 from GPS City. It is basically the same GPS that came with the limited but way cheaper than BRP GPS.

So for your new RT S you could buy the BRP GPS mount part# 219400615 and then buy the new Garmin Zumo 590 from GPS CIty www.gpscity.com and install it the 590 cradle that comes with it and presto a GPS like the one that comes with the 2015 Limited RT.

Spyder Garage

Red face iPad Mini for GPS

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkansas View Post
    I pick up my new RT on Tuesday. The one I had before was a limited and this is an RT-S. So it does not come with GPS. Any suggestions on mounts and a good GPS for motorcycles? Thank for any help.

Scott
    Hi, I use my iPad Mini mounted on my dashboard on a Ram Mount, works great. Large screen and uses the Map App for destination and turn by turn directions. Use my Sena headset to sync the system. Make a great day. Paco
    Chase the wind every chance you get.....! 2013 Circuit Yellow RT-SE5
    Mods: Bump Skid, foam grips; Tric-LED 3rd & 4th tail lights, Mirror turn signals, & front fender lights; CB, Shortee CB & Radio Antennas, NBV Highway Pegs, USA & CA flags on Rivco flag mounts, Black widow frunk logo, Utopia Driver backrest, Sheepskin Driver Seat pad, running & brake light license frame, Chrome Luggage Rack, Ram mount on dashboard for iPad Mini for GPS, Race Tech shocks all around.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My last bike came with a Garmin Zumo 550. It included City Maps software and something I could plan routes, way points, etc. on my PC, then load it into the Zumo. My new Spyder RT came with a Zumo, but there was no software and no instruction manual - only mounting instructions and some extra mounting hardware. Did my dealer give me everything, or is something different now?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    My last bike came with a Garmin Zumo 550. It included City Maps software and something I could plan routes, way points, etc. on my PC, then load it into the Zumo. My new Spyder RT came with a Zumo, but there was no software and no instruction manual - only mounting instructions and some extra mounting hardware. Did my dealer give me everything, or is something different now?
    Assuming you're talking about the Zumo 660...the map is preloaded and can be updated as necesary via Garmin Express (free download from the Garmin site). The computer interface for interacting with your map and then transferring data to your GPS is Garmin BaseCamp (also a free Garmin download). You can also download a free users manual from the Garmin site. It sounds like what you received is the same stuff that I received.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

[QUOTEarescottnkansas;918566]I pick up my new RT on Tuesday. The one I had before was a limited and this is an RT-S. So it does not come with GPS. Any suggestions on mounts and a good GPS for motorcycles? Thank for any help.

Scott[/QUOTE]

There are other options available but I like the setup available through BRP.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    Assuming you're talking about the Zumo 660...the map is preloaded and can be updated as necesary via Garmin Express (free download from the Garmin site). The computer interface for interacting with your map and then transferring data to your GPS is Garmin BaseCamp (also a free Garmin download). You can also download a free users manual from the Garmin site. It sounds like what you received is the same stuff that I received.
    Yep. It's the 660. I apparently got the same as you, but without an explanation. Thank you very much!

Spyder Garage

I use my old Samsung smartphone phone with Google maps. Cheaper than a new gps unit and gets updates for free all the time. Don;t need a cell tower for it if you enable the GPS on it and use your WiFi to load it. Any old Smartphone with GPS will work. The local Salvation Army store here has a collection of old phones and most are selling for 5.00 here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scottnkansas View Post

Scott
    If you liked that setup; why not re-create it on your new RT-S?
    With some careful shopping; you could save some serious coin!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I looked at the zumo and was too expensive. So I use a garmin mounted on the dash of my 14 rt. installed a plug over one of the speakers. Works great. I keep my phone in the trunk plugged in and have the blue tooth on with my head set in the helmet. Really like this setup. I know the gps isn't water proof but it is cheap enough to replace if needed.

Spyder Garage

Same here. Got a Garmin 775t on eBay for under $100. Has more features than the Zumo and supports Bluetooth hands free mode to my send headset. It can also broadcast on a FM station so you have that as an option was well. It also has traffic info free!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I mounted my garmin 660 up on the dash using Thorton mount. Love it!photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Default Power cable

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    I mounted my garmin 660 up on the dash using Thorton mount. Love it!photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg
    I have the same mount and GPS and was wondering how you ran the power cable. How did you handle the mic and headset plug-ins on the Garmin cable? I wanted to run the cable where the "dash" top and bottom join but haven't found a way to split them. Thanks for any info.
    Gary C

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hognut View Post
    I have the same mount and GPS and was wondering how you ran the power cable. How did you handle the mic and headset plug-ins on the Garmin cable? I wanted to run the cable where the "dash" top and bottom join but haven't found a way to split them. Thanks for any info.
    Gary C

First of all, I use bluetooth so no cables go to helmet. I left all the original cradle, cabling and mount installed on bike. I bought a new garmin 660 cradle & Cables as well as the Ram mount and Thornton mount. It was very simple to trace the OEM gps wiring. I was able to spilt the dash and drill a hole for the wiring on the rear dash lip. Passed all the cabling down and along side of the OEM stuff, zip tied wiring, unplugged Garmin wiring from OEM harness and plugged into new harness. Splice in the red and black wire and you are done.

GPS cradle and wiring
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    First of all, I use bluetooth so no cables go to helmet. I left all the original cradle, cabling and mount installed on bike. I bought a new garmin 660 cradle & Cables as well as the Ram mount and Thornton mount. It was very simple to trace the OEM gps wiring. I was able to spilt the dash and drill a hole for the wiring on the rear dash lip. Passed all the cabling down and along side of the OEM stuff, zip tied wiring, unplugged Garmin wiring from OEM harness and plugged into new harness. Splice in the red and black wire and you are done.

GPS cradle and wiring
    Thank you for the information. I was not going to use the plugs either so I guess tape them up and leave them. I have an RT so there is no OEM harness installed. I will try to find out how to split the dash as I have not had much luck so far. I am a new owner and have only removed the mirrors so far . From reading your post I assume there is an existing plug in the main harness I can connect to. Thank you for the information.