Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Lateral Force on the Passenger

I have a new 2014 RTL and am just starting to feel a little more comfortable with being pushed sideways in the corners. I have not given my wife a ride yet and am wondering how it feels back there. She is quite relaxed on two-wheelers, but I can't ride one anymore due to a neurological condition. I'm a little concerned that it will feel unsafe for her or that she will have to be constantly holding on as if it was a carnival ride. Anyone ever hear of a Spyder passenger falling off? I will appreciate any thoughts and tips. Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 12-27-2014 at 04:45 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife had no riding experience before the Fat White Chick, but says the passenger area with the rear speakers cradles here nicely, and she has had no problems with lateral forces. She watches the road signs and keeps a light grip on the handles as needed, but says she doesn't feel any tendency to be pulled off the seat.

Spyder Garage

My wife had no riding experience before the Spyder but was so comfortable on the back that she went on to get her endorsement. We have friends who have slept for over a hour at a time in the rear seat, with no problems. Leaning into and accelerating through the curves will make you feel more "one with the Spyder" and less a victim of lateral force..
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!! That helps a lot.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While I'm at it, are armrests helpful? In the way? Best brand? I've ordered some from the dealer, then got to thinking that after-market might be better or maybe not needed at all.

Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

I have the corbin arm rest on my '14. My signature pic was taken before I installed the corbins. We had these on my 2010 RTS and when I traded up to the '14 I kept them. My wife wouldn't ride without them. She gets a real since of security with them. I assume this would hold true for any brand of armrest. I will try and get an updated picture soon.
    Last edited by StanProff; 12-26-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I have a new 2014 RTL and am just starting to feel a little more comfortable with being pushed sideways in the corners. I have not given my wife a ride yet and am wondering how it feels back there. She is quite relaxed on two-wheelers, but I can't ride one anymore due to a neurological condition. I'm a little concerned that it will feel unsafe for her or that she will have to be constantly holding on as if it was a carnival ride. Anyone ever hear of a Spyder passenger falling off? I will appreciate any thoughts and tips. Thanks!
    Start out with low and slow until she becomes accustomed to the "g" forces you will encounter on the .

Even though the is not a leaner like on two wheels, you will find that leaning the body slightly into the turns will result in reduced g forces. The passenger should follow the lead of the driver--just like on two wheels.

I always enter curves and twisties from the outside of the turn and plot a straight course to the inside of the turn. Foot planted on the "outside" floorboard, and knees against the gas tank. A push/pull grip on the handle bars, using as little input as possible. This all becomes natural after a few miles, and you will not have that feeling of the not being in control. I can take twisties at 20+ posted if I want to.

If you have to brake as you enter a curve, you are going a bit to fast for starters. You should be able to accelerate as you take the curve.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Relax..!!

passengers get used to it very quickly. Start out slow and they will adjust..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. You have been most helpful.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PASSENGER FEELING SECURE

I have not ridden extensively as a passenger, however IMHO I think the position ( level ) of the FOOTBOARDS is the key for the passenger to feel secure. If they can easily apply pressure to counteract the G- forces when you turn ( you might have to tell them about doing this ) I am sure they will feel much better about riding ..........A lot of people might set the Passenger footboard HEIGHT to accommodate ease in getting on and off ( for shorter riders ). But you only do this infrequently compared to how long they use the footboards for riding support........................Next time try raising the Boards a little and see if that makes a difference .......it won't hurt to try !!!!!....Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have not ridden extensively as a passenger, however IMHO I think the position ( level ) of the FOOTBOARDS is the key for the passenger to feel secure. If they can easily apply pressure to counteract the G- forces when you turn ( you might have to tell them about doing this ) I am sure they will feel much better about riding ..........A lot of people might set the Passenger footboard HEIGHT to accommodate ease in getting on and off ( for shorter riders ). But you only do this infrequently compared to how long they use the footboards for riding support........................Next time try raising the Boards a little and see if that makes a difference .......it won't hurt to try !!!!!....Mike
    Thanks!! My wife is vertically challenged so setting her footboards at the highest setting will probably be best for her. Thanks for a great tip!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND THEN MAYBE THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Thanks!! My wife is vertically challenged so setting her footboards at the highest setting will probably be best for her. Thanks for a great tip!
    .....If you find that it is not quite enough ( I don't know her height ) a Sponsor/vendor here sells extensions to make them even HIGHER. But before you spend the money just put some plywood on the floorboards to see if that's all it needs.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Good Scoop All Around

My wife at 73 had probably only two motorcycle rides in her life more than four decades ago. She took to the Spyder like a duck to water. She follows my lead and leans perfectly into the turns.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

My wife adapted quite easily after several years on the back of a Goldwing. She and I just lean to the inside like we always did and that cancels some of the centrifugal force. Holding on to the passenger grips takes care of the rest. I do have one concern that i would appreciate opinions on. I plan to install armrests and of course that is where she will want to keep her arms most of the time instead of hanging on to the hand grips. There will be some force applied to the armrest wile negotiating tight turns. Is that a problem?

Spyder Garage

My Wife says the Corbin arm rest totally changed her comfort level (for the best)
    Cant use grab handles now (just one at time )
    But does not care to
    Fell asleep twice now wi the Corbins
    Happy Wife
    HAPPY SPYDER DRIVER

Spyder Garage

Cool topic...

My son-in-law told me about a co worker of his, bought a Spyder and as the rider, not passenger got ejected in a corner, so I suppose anything is possible.

Yes the rear floorboard height not only helped with cornering control but also made the comfort much improved for my wife. The bike was delivered in the full low setting. We spent maybe 15 minutes trying different settings until she found what she preferred. Ironic this was not part of a dealer setup.

Now, she is very comfy, does fall asleep on open roads. In town or when dealing with corners, some I don't worry about, others I may tap her leg to indicate hold tight.

The oem speaker boxes / armrests offer side support, also, with the Corbin backrest, she has a front handle if ever needed.

PK