Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Real test for both Spyder and Thermosuit today

Today I was asked to work 1st shift. At 6:30 am this morning it was cold, 31 degrees before you figure in wind chill. I put on all my winter gear and off I went. When I left for home at 3:30pm this afternoon, it was mid 30's but with mixed snow and rain and sleet. Now this would be a test. Would I stay WARM and DRY and SAFE? I have to tell you, both the suit and the Spyder performed magnificently. I was quite comfortable riding as far as warmth went. I was completely dry when I got home and the suit had the rain and snow just beading up and falling off, it is dry already. The Spyder handled admirably. It never skidded or slipped or anything. My biggest worry was the other drivers, the first slippery day is always the worst. Everyone seems to forget how to drive in bad weather. Granted, if there was any accumulation or icing up, I wouldn't want to take my chances, but I think today gave me a pretty good taste of how far I will be able to push it through the winter depending on driving conditions. As long as the forecast doesn't call for accumulation or freezing rain and ice or if the roads are dry, we will be riding. When the sub zero temps sneak in, I may have to think it over at that time but I'll let you all know.

By the way, I hear they really got hit in the east with snow, time to get out the spyder cousin and start snowmobiling on a skido.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Good job, Deb! You and BJT could be BMW riders with your "ride anywhere, anytime, any weather" attitudes. The other drivers do scare me in the slippery stuff, though, they are idiots for the most part. They also are not looking for motorcycles in cold weather, so they may see us, but it may not register. Be careful!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I think they are far above BMW riders

PhotoShop Master
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I think they are far above BMW riders
    u r hard core

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nice report!

I've decided at this point that if it's 32 degrees or less, my Spyder is staying in the garage. Too much to risk, for me (and the Spyder). And, there is no way, I'll be on it if there is any snow in the area.

Actually, I doubt I'll be riding if it's under about 39 degrees. Yesterday morning was a good gauge.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Deb, for the sleet/snow report - I won't worry in the future so much if I get caught out on a bad day. I had to do a 250 mile day today to get my first oil change at the dealer where I purchased the Spyder. It was 29 this morning - maybe 30 when I left but the sun was shining and the roads were dry so it was smooth sailing and actually got into the 40's on the way home. I had worn by Synergy heated jacket and plugged my old Gerbing gloves onto them and was warm as toast. (Actually had to turn heat to lowest setting as I was getting a little too toasty - and that was running 80 on interstate.) Needless to say, unless we get snow or ice (which is pretty uncommon for us), I'll be riding down into the teens, easily. Too much fun to pass up! I can't blame you for wanting to ride to work - riding anywhere - doctor, grocery, dentist, etc. always makes it more fun; then it's an adventure and not a chore!

Spyder Garage

Well I hope the roads aren't too bad when I come home from work tonight at midnight. Even at 35 degrees, it hasn't been cold enough yet for me to have to put on my insulated riding pants. The cold cuts right through the jeans and leaves a stinging cold feeling on the thighs but I only got about 15 - 20 minutes from work to home so I just tough it out. Once its down below 30, I'll probably break out the riding pants. I would be up for some heated gloves. I've noticed that my fingertips are getting cold, close to painfully cold.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Glad you had a nice warm, dry, safe trip home! We didn't get any snow here - just rain and raw cold. They did in NY, NJ and PA though.

You definitely are Hard Core - you gotta kidnap HDX and Roaddog - they'll ride w/ ya in that stuff. (Not me - I'd rather stay inside and drink warm spiked cider or something)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The rain and snow are not the problem. Once they hit the roads with salt and dirt, even after the roads dry off, that nasty stuff is still there. If you have a heated garage where you can desalinate your Spyder, no problem. Salt, especially the road grade stuff, is not kind to vehicles not designed to resist it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Deb, you my dear are definately hard core

I told my wife today that with mornings getting in the low 50's, I'll have to get some winter weight gloves and put the liner in my mesh jacket.

I'm with you, though. I plan on riding all winter long. Unless it's really wet and nasty, the Sypder is my main ride.

Keep it safe. Tony

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Glad you had a nice warm, dry, safe trip home! We didn't get any snow here - just rain and raw cold. They did in NY, NJ and PA though.

You definitely are Hard Core - you gotta kidnap HDX and Roaddog - they'll ride w/ ya in that stuff. (Not me - I'd rather stay inside and drink warm spiked cider or something)
    Maybe it can do a 8 in the snow thinking ahead keep on ridin Dltang

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=dltang;57900]Today I was asked to work 1st shift. At 6:30 am this morning it was cold, 31 degrees before you figure in wind chill. I put on all my winter gear and off I went.

My turbans ( hats ) off to your resilient can ride attitude. Respect for the hardcoreness.:

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPjunkie View Post
    The rain and snow are not the problem. Once they hit the roads with salt and dirt, even after the roads dry off, that nasty stuff is still there. If you have a heated garage where you can desalinate your Spyder, no problem. Salt, especially the road grade stuff, is not kind to vehicles not designed to resist it.
    Spoken like a true Michigander. Amen, brother, amen!!! When blacktop roads look white, don't take out your toys. Neither snow nor salt is kind to them. That residual stuff lasts until a good hard rain, too.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Maybe it can do a 8 in the snow thinking ahead keep on ridin Dltang
    You know, I have done donuts with an ambulance, now that is kind of a rush....
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dltang View Post
    U have me beat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

What is snow?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Spoken like a true Michigander. Amen, brother, amen!!! When blacktop roads look white, don't take out your toys. Neither snow nor salt is kind to them. That residual stuff lasts until a good hard rain, too.
    -Scotty
    The stuff is insidious. I swear that when it falls off the cars in the garage it tries to crawl across the floor to the fresh metal it smelled on my bikes, now Spyder. Much less chrome to attract the creeping corrosion, but I know when I sleep it is looking for a path. Just look at the amount of salt residue that accumulates on your garage floor during the salting season and you may not want to drive your Spyder across that let alone miles of roads covered with it. That said, I know that Michigan weather is freaky and I have played golf on Christmas day, so if one day each month I get a shot at clean roads, 50 degrees, some sun and a chance to charge the Spyder's battery and mine, I may give it a shot.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My two cold challenges were one at 26F and the other at 20F. The morning with 26F, I had the Thermosuit and sweater and heavy pants under. I was actually a bit warm. So, the morning with 20F I had on light turtleneck shirt and jeans under the Thermosuit. That was a bit cool - so I will now go with the layer principle and choose WARM (smile) Leather snow mobile gloves and insulated boots complete the ensamble.

Like most of us -- NO spYder RIDING with ice or snow. (like tonight - it is snowing here)

---leo---

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Was 27F yesterday morning. Snowmobile grip heaters helped, but still not good enough. Need wind protection on the hands. BRP touring shield is of no help on hands. Using the Ski-Doo modular2 helmet with the breath deflector attached and no fogging, nice and warm. If I settle the cold hands, I'am good to go until the chemicals start being spread on the roads.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I learned something this morning that I possibly should have considered.
    Overnight, we had 4" of wet snow. The roads looked wet but no snow or ice.
    What I soon realized -- PENNDOT had sanded the roads, especially at intersections. Traffic had left a nice wide band of sand and gravel right in the middle of the driving lane - right where the back wheel of spYdie normally tracks. It is difficult to find a track where no wheels were in the sand/gravel. Lesson learned!
    ---leo---

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Today I was asked to work 1st shift. At 6:30 am this morning it was cold, 31 degrees before you figure in wind chill. I put on all my winter gear and off I went. When I left for home at 3:30pm this afternoon, it was mid 30's but with mixed snow and rain and sleet. Now this would be a test. Would I stay WARM and DRY and SAFE? I have to tell you, both the suit and the Spyder performed magnificently. I was quite comfortable riding as far as warmth went. I was completely dry when I got home and the suit had the rain and snow just beading up and falling off, it is dry already. The Spyder handled admirably. It never skidded or slipped or anything. My biggest worry was the other drivers, the first slippery day is always the worst. Everyone seems to forget how to drive in bad weather. Granted, if there was any accumulation or icing up, I wouldn't want to take my chances, but I think today gave me a pretty good taste of how far I will be able to push it through the winter depending on driving conditions. As long as the forecast doesn't call for accumulation or freezing rain and ice or if the roads are dry, we will be riding. When the sub zero temps sneak in, I may have to think it over at that time but I'll let you all know.

By the way, I hear they really got hit in the east with snow, time to get out the spyder cousin and start snowmobiling on a skido.
    I had a similar day Monday here in Pittsburgh. Put on the 12V Jacket, full-face helmet, and gloves with Aerostich and all was superb. All I had to do was adjust the control to comfort and all is well. I don't think there is any temp down to 10 degrees that would be a problem as far as staying warm. The heated gear is not cheap but when you need it, it worth every penny

Spyder Garage

I found several ways to help stay warm up here in the North East (outside of Boston);
    Compression type running pants under my clothes or Snow pants (Colulmbia Titanium)
    The only issue so far... boots. My heavier boots make shifting much more difficult. So does the heavier Spyder brand gloves. Cheaper snow gloves work OK.

Plus I keep forgetting a my neck gaitor.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    Plus I keep forgetting a my neck gaitor.
    I need to find one of those too. I have an $8 balaclava that the dealer threw in when I first picked up my spyder and it works pretty good but a neck gaitor would make it perfect. Probably as good as the turtlefur thing that dltang has.

Yellinacha
    Spyder Garage

Now I'd like to ride w/ you in the ambulance when you do those!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Deb, what sort of gear were you wearing? I need something to keep me warm to down about around 35 or 40 degrees considering that is usually as cold as it gets here. I am good with what I got down to 50 degrees. Today, we just got our first real rain here since about April.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue