Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Limited What do I need to upgrade?

I just purchased a 2014 RT Limited. I have already figured out that I need a skid plate. From there it looks like a sway bar. Also some plastic protective pieces. Any information is very much welcome. This includes exhaust/muffers and air cleaners. Thank you for your assistance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    I just purchased a 2014 RT Limited. I have already figured out that I need a skid plate. From there it looks like a sway bar. Also some plastic protective pieces. Any information is very much welcome. This includes exhaust/muffers and air cleaners. Thank you for your assistance.

After the skid plate, the sway bar "With Links", you should be good to go from there, everything else is a farkle.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default What..!!

Ryde it, enjoy it learn all the ryding tricks of these amazing machines and then you will know what to get. Don't getstuff cause we have it.. we could be wrong... well not really but you may feel fine with the way your new spyder rydes. Congrats on the new ryde.. and welcome..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Laser alignment, and then lights and more lights. I disagree with Cruzr Joe, lights to me are a must have. The Custom Dynamics HMT brake light and the TricLED front fender lights are must haves.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also have a new 2014 RTL and am totally new to Spyders. What does the sway bar do? Is it pretty important? How much are they and where do you get them? Are they easy to install or does it have to be dealer installed? Did I ask enough questions?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I also have a new 2014 RTL and am totally new to Spyders. What does the sway bar do? Is it pretty important? How much are they and where do you get them? Are they easy to install or does it have to be dealer installed? Did I ask enough questions?

Bump Skid come from "Spyderpops" vendor located on home page, protects the front end of your Spyder.

Sway Bar & Links from "Bajaron" vendor located on home page, Better control and less sway on the front end.

Lazer Alignment, available from several vendors, helps to ensure that your Spyder is tracking straight down the road.

Friendly posts and remarks from fellow Spyder Ryders ....... priceless.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 12-21-2014 at 05:01 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't get me wrong...
    I'm all about the farkle!
    Why not just ride it for a while, and see what you think?
    For you; it might be perfect, "as-is".
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

And just to be clear. Your RT already has a sway bar and links. It's just that BajaRon's are better.

Trb--

Spyder Garage

I am also in the camp that says to ride it for awhile (I say 1000-1500 miles) before doing to many modifications.

I bought two things from the get go though, based on my experience with previous 's.

I bought the custom dynamics trunk brake light bar (you can't have too many lights), and a driver back rest from Utopia. I have not added any other farkles at 9,500 miles the first season.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ride first. Farkle as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am also in the camp that says to ride it for awhile (I say 1000-1500 miles) before doing to many modifications.

I bought two things from the get go though, based on my experience with previous 's.

I bought the custom dynamics trunk brake light bar (you can't have too many lights), and a driver back rest from Utopia. I have not added any other farkles at 9,500 miles the first season.
    I have to agree with askspyderman. The only thing that you truly need is the Custom Dynamics high mount brake light that fits perfectly into the rear trunk lid. There is also an option that allows it to operate at a low level during normal riding and get bright when you brake. The instructions are reasonable and you can probably do this first upgrade yourself. Just plan carefully because they give you a special 3M adhesive activator that sticks where you stick it. There are no mulligans on this. PS Congrats!

Spyder Garage

Just be aware that if you are putting a rack on the back the high rear brakelight becomes useless.

I have a rack and use the TricLed 3rd & 4th Brakelight

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take your time, and build yourself a plan...

Spyder Garage

The only must have for your new Spyder is a laser alignment.
    Get one.
    You may find the front end is aligned properly from the factory, but it seems unlikely.
    The proper alignment makes riding safer and more comfortable, as well as extending the life of your front tires.

The rest are all "farkles". Things that are nice to have but not strictly necessary.
    As others have said, ride it for a while to get a feel for what you want.

HID headlights make it easier to see at night.
    A backrest of some sort, either Utopia, OEM will make long distance riding more comfortable.
    Additional LED lights, such as the Custom Dynamics HMT make your Spyder more visible at night. You can also get LED's to replace the side reflectors on the front fender and the saddlebags.
    The Spyderpops bump skid will help prevent damage to the bottom of the front trunk.
    Many people recommend the BajaRon Sway Bar and Links. The RonBar is essential on models prior to 2014. I've found the Sway Bar isn't necessary on the 2014, it handles quite well without any suspension upgrades. either The links are not strictly necessary, however the added reliability gives you piece of mind.
    The SENA bluetooth setup will give you speakers in your helmet which makes hearing the GPS easier, and it's nice to have an intercom between you and your passenger. You can also throw the Spyder audio into your helmet using the Bluetooth dongle.
    Some people find the Tri-Axis adjustable bars very helpful to make the handlebars more comfortable.
    There are nets available that mount to the underside of the trunk lid and the inside of the saddlebag liners. I've found the net under the trunk lid very helpful for storing gloves and small gear. The saddlebag nets, not so much.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted.
    Last edited by ThreeWheels; 12-22-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Definitely get a Laser Alignment, and

STV Short Windshield Blackout for SpyderRT.... from WRAPMYSPYDER .com vendor on this site ( I just ordered mine )

paint your "dashboard" the color of your Spyder, " see my pictures of my spyders dashboard @" Gallery" Click on: my Albums, Title: Dashboard 14RTS-SE6 in Cognac.....

Welcome to this site and enjoy your spyder Ride, Ride, Ride, Ride. Welcome to the 1330 Ace Club!

Semi-Rigid Rear side Cargo Travel Bags, or Soft side Cargo Travel Bags, or just personalize your spyder to your likings. Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 12-22-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First thing I put on both ours was the brake light modulator from custom dynamics, big improvement from a safety stand point! Second thing I would recommend is the smooth spyder belt tensioner, the vibration from the belt at highway speeds gets really annoying.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Not mentioned yet

A rear mud flap. The Spyder, due to its shape, tends to throw up a lot of dirt onto the rear of the machine especially when riding on wet roads. If you ride two-up, your passenger will thank you and it does help keep the rear cleaner anyway.
    Some sponsors sell mud flaps and others have made there own.
    I agree with others saying ride it for a while first. I did and then got the Laser Alignment done. It helped a lot. Road for a while longer and then got Bajarons sway bar and links and the difference was noticeable.
    Lots of good suggestions have been made.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The BEST farkle to add:
    Fuel; lots of it!
    Keep the wheels spinning!

Spyder Garage

Default If You're Long Legged

If you've got long legs like me a set of highway pegs would make long rides more comfortable. I have this thing or phobia about being able to cover the brake, so for my own piece of mind I'd also install the ISCI hand brake kit, just in case there would be a panic situation while my feet were on the highway pegs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree about the bump skid and laser alignment. Also about waiting to see about everything else.

If you bought from Pitbull, you probably already have the BajaRon bar.

Almost everything mentioned in the thread so far can be acquired at Spyderfest in the spring.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cognaccruiser View Post
    A rear mud flap. The Spyder, due to its shape, tends to throw up a lot of dirt onto the rear of the machine especially when riding on wet roads. If you ride two-up, your passenger will thank you and it does help keep the rear cleaner anyway.
    Some sponsors sell mud flaps and others have made there own.
    I agree with others saying ride it for a while first. I did and then got the Laser Alignment done. It helped a lot. Road for a while longer and then got Bajarons sway bar and links and the difference was noticeable.
    Lots of good suggestions have been made.

Gary
    Wondered about the mud flap after the first ryde. I noticed that although the roads were mostly dry, it only took a few wet spots to dirty the rearend.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb analog gauge

I was wondering if I could put the new digital analog gauge from the new can-am spyder on an older model

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Knight View Post
    I was wondering if I could put the new digital analog gauge from the new can-am spyder on an older model

What model and year spyder do you have? and what are you trying to accomplish, maybe we can help

Cruzr Joe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Really good information. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Also a new 2014 RT Owner

I am also a new owner, and have a grand total of 1000 miles on my 2014 RT. I had a couple problems that needed addressing and had the laser alignment and sway bar installed while in the shop. The very first corner I turned on, and it wasn't a very fast turn, I noticed the improvement the sway bar made. Because I am a Spyder newbe, I didn't realize just how far off the alignment was. Neather are a must, but if your experience mimics mine you will be very happy you had them done. I will also be getting the skid plate. The front end is awful close to the ground.

I'll take a moment to thank everyone that has provided advice on this site, it has been very helpful to me.

George

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Just ordered a bumpskid, kott grilles, missing belt guard and a mud flap. Now I am anxiously waiting their arrival so I can get busy. Thank you to everyone for your input. I am sure a swaybar and links will follow after I get some riding in. I am afraid if I change it out too soon that I will not fully appreciate the difference in the ride. Also, I am looking at some more lights. Thanks again.