Spyder Garage

Default MAINTENANCE QUESTION

I try to do much of my own maintenance when I can. I noticed in my owners manual that it said to lube the front suspension arms at a certain mileage. Are these the arms under each front shock that connect to the ball joint in each wheel? I looked at mine and did not see a grease fitting. Am I looking in the wrong place? I ride a '13 ST-S.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default 8

there are 8 fittings, 2 up, 2 down, at the ends of the A arms....
    whomever design this system and put 'straight up' grease fittings needs to have his/her head tightened up.... i R&R mine with 90 deg. fittings...
    dp
    PS: mine is an '09 RS...
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 12-16-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

are the same fittings on the 14 RT's as well ???

OSM

Spyder Garage

You're close.
    Look at the opposite end where it connects to the frame of the bike. There's four points to grease on each side.

Not sure about the ST, but on the RT its just about a requirement to take off the frunk to get to the grease zerts. Thankfully, its not all that hard to take off the frunk.

Spyder Garage

I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. I looked at the ends of the A arms under the frunk with a flashlight and didn't see any zerks fittings. The ends under the frunk look just like the ends that join at the wheel.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default AND THE REASON IS !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    there are 8 fittings, 2 up, 2 down, at the ends of the A arms....
    whomever design this system and put 'straight up' grease fittings needs to have his/her head tightened up.... i R&R mine with 90 deg. fittings...
    dp
    PS: mine is an '09 RS...
    ....Dan that's because the 45 degree angle ones cost .03 more each......................do you think BRP is going to throw all that much money away ..........JMHO.........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have purchased 90' and 45' zerks and when it comes time to lube them I am going to remove the fronk and swap them out for the ones that work the best for the location. But Im a little timid in the fact that I havent pulled the fronk before, but there is always a first I guess.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Have faith and go for it

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I have purchased 90' and 45' zerks and when it comes time to lube them I am going to remove the fronk and swap them out for the ones that work the best for the location. But Im a little timid in the fact that I havent pulled the fronk before, but there is always a first I guess.
    Build a sloping platform at a similar angle to the bottom of the "frunk" and cover it with a piece of scrap carpet. Slide this under the "frunk" to support it. The following is the listed disassembly order to remove the "frunk". Remove the mirrors. Remove service covers. Remove middle side panels. Remove top side panels. Remove front fascia. Remove 2 T-30 retaining screws on both sides of the "frunk" and 4 more T-30 retaining screws under the black service panels . Now disconnect all the odd connectors above both shocks. Take the two small bolts out of the hood switch. You will break it if you try to remove the connectors. Disconnect the storage cover actuator connector and finally disconnect the storage cover cable. Now remove 2 10 MM bolts underneath the "frunk" and it is ready to slide the support you made under it. Lift it off by sliding the support in. I routinely do this as a one man project. As you disassemble things, put the bolts in Ziploc bags and label them in them in the order they were removed. It's not a piece of cake but it is very doable.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Build a sloping platform at a similar angle to the bottom of the "frunk" and cover it with a piece of scrap carpet. Slide this under the "frunk" to support it. The following is the listed disassembly order to remove the "frunk". Remove the mirrors. Remove service covers. Remove middle side panels. Remove top side panels. Remove front fascia. Remove 2 T-30 retaining screws on both sides of the "frunk" and 4 more T-30 retaining screws under the black service panels . Now disconnect all the odd connectors above both shocks. Take the two small bolts out of the hood switch. You will break it if you try to remove the connectors. Disconnect the storage cover actuator connector and finally disconnect the storage cover cable. Now remove 2 10 MM bolts underneath the "frunk" and it is ready to slide the support you made under it. Lift it off by sliding the support in. I routinely do this as a one man project. As you disassemble things, put the bolts in Ziploc bags and label them in them in the order they were removed. It's not a piece of cake but it is very doable.
    Wow, based on your discription is there by chance a video of this? I have the manual for the RT and hopefully if a video isnt available Ill have that atleast.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Tricky but doable..!!

20130128_093805.jpg 20130128_093821.jpg here are a couple of shots with the frunk off. You can see the fittings on the upper arm right where those bolts are on either side of the center frame. There are two more on the lower arms as well..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    are the same fittings on the 14 RT's as well ???

OSM
    Nope. No greasing the A Arm Bushings on the 14 RT.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Wow, based on your discription is there by chance a video of this? I have the manual for the RT and hopefully if a video isnt available Ill have that atleast.
    This isn't a bad video on a Frunk removal.

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

​How about a video on how to remove an ST frunk?
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's actually the same process; the above video will be able to safely guide you along the path...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default hi chupaca

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    here are a couple of shots with the frunk off. You can see the fittings on the upper arm right where those bolts are on either side of the center frame. There are two more on the lower arms as well..
    just ran across your frunk removal instructions. obviously you took your spyder thru the paces, hence, a question if I may. and recommendations as to the best way to lift the animal up?
    which lift do you use and where are the correct support points? my motorcycle lift is of no help here I assume.
    Peter in Germany.

Spyder Garage

Default I think there are no zerk fittings that

are present on any of the 13 or 14 models...

There were none on my 13 RT and none on my 14 RT
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what I did..!!

Quote Originally Posted by hsteil View Post
    just ran across your frunk removal instructions. obviously you took your spyder thru the paces, hence, a question if I may. and recommendations as to the best way to lift the animal up?
    which lift do you use and where are the correct support points? my motorcycle lift is of no help here I assume.
    Peter in Germany.
    I used a floor jack ( the blue one ) placed at the box frame end to lift and A stands at A-frame ends by the wheels to support. The yellow lift to lift the whole unit..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found this 90° fitting with extension hose worked.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436491458.841507.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I was able to grease all 4 on each side w/o frunk removal on my 12 RTL..didn't seem too hard...but took me a while to see them all.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White