Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

You seem to have read a lot of the good advice on here, which I agree with. I also believe in he parking lot things. Tennis balls cut in half (free at a lot of tennis clubs) make great markers. Pratice your curves and so on. If you make a mistake, the tennis balls are small enought they will not hurt anything. At the same time remeber all the good things you did/do. think about mistakes, but do not dwell on them.
    I guess i was lucky, I got a demo ride of 30 miles or so and I had little trouble adapting to the the Spyder 08 GS. Been riding two since the last century, but then a lot of people can say that. Actually over 60 years on road, legally. A few more otherwise.
    Most of all, have fun and be safe
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default One tip I didn't see posted

One a car you can straddle road kill and pot holes by centering your car over them. On a 2-wheeler, you can choose which side to go on.

On the Spyder, you've got about 16" between the outside of the rear wheel and inside of your front wheels. Try to keep road hazards just to the inside of a front wheel if you can't get around it. If you center the bike (like I did over my first dead 'possum!) your rear wheel will take it straight on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default road hazards

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    One a car you can straddle road kill and pot holes by centering your car over them. On a 2-wheeler, you can choose which side to go on.

On the Spyder, you've got about 16" between the outside of the rear wheel and inside of your front wheels. Try to keep road hazards just to the inside of a front wheel if you can't get around it. If you center the bike (like I did over my first dead 'possum!) your rear wheel will take it straight on.
    That's something new to think about! Years ago I had a collision with my K75 BMW with a 40 pound creature at about 70 mph. With a combination of luck and experience I was fine, the bike suffered minor damage. I think with three wheels and a more stable platform wildlife encounters will still be a hazard, but maybe a little less life threatening. Another plus for the Spyder platform...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Dave,

You were "forced" to learn how to counter-steer quickly. But I can tell you that, as baffling as it seems, there are literally hundreds of motorcyclists out there who have no idea what counter-steering is. I've met a lot of them over the years. These are folks who have never taken an MSF course, of course. Yes, they are doing it, but they have no idea that they are doing it. Somehow, they just "learned to ride" and mostly they make the bike go where they want it to.
    Oh yeah, I've met some of those folks in my time. It's just that intellectually understanding something and being "forced" (as you say) to USE it aren't always one and the same. The Spyder teaches you not only that you must direct steer the Spyder, but that you CAN'T direct steer a motorcycle at speed.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!