Spyder Garage

Default Trading My Spyder

The reason we got the Spyder in the first place was because my wife said that was the only machine she would go 2 up on. It has served us well for over a year and a half but she doesn't ride with me that much anymore and if I am going to ride mostly 1 up I want something sportier. I all be trading it for a Yamaha FJ-09 which hits dealer showrooms later this month. I put my deposit down today and will be getting the first one in 2 to 3 weeks. The wife says she "might" ride 2 up with me on it. It will be no where near as comfortable as the Spyder but it will be bearable for her for short periods of time. The link below gives the detail but just an example of the differences between the two: Spyder about 900 lbs w/100 hp; FJ-09 462 lbs w/115 hp. I will be trading the Spyder in since I cannot afford both machines. I tried selling it for 2 months both here and on Craigslist. Only got a couple of hits, neither of which showed much interest and I had the price low. I shopped it around at several dealers as to trading it in and what would I get for it. There is no market for Spyders whether because of the economy or because of the relative expense. Just as the 2014 hurt all previous generations the F3 will imo hurt all RT's and RS's as far as resale or trade is concerned. If I were happy with the Spyder it wouldn't matter and I would keep it, the market be damned. For what it was designed for our Spyder has done the job very well and has been very reliable (orange screen only twice in 11,700 miles and after restarting it kept going and never did it again). I absolutely love the safety/comfort factor as does the wife - but it's no fun and that is why I am going with the Yamaha. I will keep in touch via Spyderlovers. http://tinyurl.com/ocuy5m8

Spyder Garage

The FJ-09 should be a blast to ride.

Two important things to remember about it - it has a front brake lever and the most important of all ------ Put Your Foot Down At Stops!

Enjoy!!!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Do the two ladies come with the bike... if so...

...maybe I'll trade as well

I, too, wanted to trade my '10 -- but for a '14 RT. No value to my '10, so will keep it.

Happy touring on your new ride - and ride safe.

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Looks like it'll be really fun to ride. Enjoy!
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like a nice ride, enjoy!

I hear ya on the trade-in/resale. Us RS riders don't get killed as bad as you RT peeps but its still pretty bad.
    I talked to a few dealers when I was shopping around for another bike at the end of the summer. I was contemplating trading, selling, vs. Just keeping my 12' RS. As it ended up, I kept it and bought another bike. I'll ride both I guess...
    What got me was that I ran into a lot of dealers who just weren't interested in a trade at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whatever you end up riding; just keep riding it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Sorry..!!

to see you move on but totally understand. You may be back in the future so keep in touch and be safe out there. The FJ is a nice bike and should give you what your looking for...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Curious if you tried

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    The reason we got the Spyder in the first place was because my wife said that was the only machine she would go 2 up on. It has served us well for over a year and a half but she doesn't ride with me that much anymore and if I am going to ride mostly 1 up I want something sportier. I all be trading it for a Yamaha FJ-09 which hits dealer showrooms later this month. I put my deposit down today and will be getting the first one in 2 to 3 weeks. The wife says she "might" ride 2 up with me on it. It will be no where near as comfortable as the Spyder but it will be bearable for her for short periods of time. The link below gives the detail but just an example of the differences between the two: Spyder about 900 lbs w/100 hp; FJ-09 462 lbs w/115 hp. I will be trading the Spyder in since I cannot afford both machines. I tried selling it for 2 months both here and on Craigslist. Only got a couple of hits, neither of which showed much interest and I had the price low. I shopped it around at several dealers as to trading it in and what would I get for it. There is no market for Spyders whether because of the economy or because of the relative expense. Just as the 2014 hurt all previous generations the F3 will imo hurt all RT's and RS's as far as resale or trade is concerned. If I were happy with the Spyder it wouldn't matter and I would keep it, the market be damned. For what it was designed for our Spyder has done the job very well and has been very reliable (orange screen only twice in 11,700 miles and after restarting it kept going and never did it again). I absolutely love the safety/comfort factor as does the wife - but it's no fun and that is why I am going with the Yamaha. I will keep in touch via Spyderlovers. http://tinyurl.com/ocuy5m8
    Mid-South Motoplex in Clarksville?
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    ...maybe I'll trade as well

I, too, wanted to trade my '10 -- but for a '14 RT. No value to my '10, so will keep it.

Happy touring on your new ride - and ride safe.

Don
    For a price you most probably could get the two ladies but there is little doubt they are high maintenance - very high maintenance.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    Mid-South Motoplex in Clarksville?
    Nope. Honda of Knoxville. They are the dealer for not only Honda but Yamaha, Suzuki, Indian, Victory, Triumph, the Slingshot and of course other Polaris products.