Spyder Garage

Default Brake Pads for 2013/2014 Spyders

I have been carrying the EBC Semi-Sintered and Fully Sintered brake pads for the 2013/2014 Spyder. I wanted to send some out to customers and get some feedback before I listed them here on Spyderlovers. They are getting great reviews so I am stocking them now.

These are designed specifically for the superior Brembo calipers used on the 2013/14 model year Spyders. They will not work on earlier models. I also carry the EBC Semi-Sintered pads for the 2008-2012 Spyders.

The Semi-Sintered pads will stop better, last longer and have less fade than the OEM Organic pads.

The Fully Sintered pads will stop better, last longer and have less fade than the Semi-Sintered pads. If you ride loaded, pull a trailer, ride very aggressively or on a lot of mountain roads I recommend these.

Pricing - (Includes Delivery to US & Puerto Rico)Simi-Sintered (Front & Rear) $29.50 ea. - Full Set = $88.50
    Fully Sintered (Front & Rear) $33.95 ea. - Full Set = $101.85

As always, I will ship these worldwide. Contact me for cost to International destinations.

Last edited by BajaRon; 12-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, Ron!
    On the older models; it's been pretty well established that the rear brakes seem to wear out the quickest...
    Does that still hold true with the Brembo setup?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks, Ron!
    On the older models; it's been pretty well established that the rear brakes seem to wear out the quickest...
    Does that still hold true with the Brembo setup?
    All of the customers who have ordered these from me have ordered full sets. I'm not sure if that is because they just want to have the same brake material on all 3 wheels (not a bad idea) of if they are wearing more evenly than the previous Spyders.

Good question.

Spyder Garage

I have a set of the full Sintered pads that I received from Ron and they look like they are wearing evenly front to back. I have put 10,000 miles on them and they are not worn out. Highly recommended.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    All of the customers who have ordered these from me have ordered full sets. I'm not sure if that is because they just want to have the same brake material on all 3 wheels (not a bad idea) of if they are wearing more evenly than the previous Spyders.

Good question.
    I was told that the front wheels do 60% braking and the rear wheel does 40%. That would indicate each front wheel is doing 30% of the work with the the rear doing 40% .
    This would explain the rear pads wearing out before the fronts . That was the way my 2010 Rt was. the rear pads were replaced but the fronts still had a good percentage of wear left in them.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

WOW! What is wrong with the Spyder. I have almost 54,000 miles and my rear pads are barely half gone! In fact the pads on all three wheels are original!
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    WOW! What is wrong with the Spyder. I have almost 54,000 miles and my rear pads are barely half gone! In fact the pads on all three wheels are original!
    All I can say Dudley, is that you are EXTREMELY kind to your brakes. Yours is not a common experience. You may be the only one who has gotten that kind of mileage out of your brake pads.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to know..!!

thanks for keeping up with all the models. This should be good news to th 13/14 crowd...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I got 29k on my brake pads with no problem,also same mileage on front tires,replaced rear tire at 27k. I drive fast when conditions allow but leave lots of space in front of me so I have room to see down the road and watch out for bad drivers and almost always cost to stop lights. 30 yrs of driving for "Bellsouth" tout me to be a very defensive driver.
    2015 RT White,Tj's Dash mount,Rivco's Duel Flag Holder,SealsFloorBoards(Pups),Custom Dynamics fender lights(R/W)Bajaron's Swaybar & links,Lamonster's LED headlights,lidlox.Wiredux A-arm driving lights(upper&lower)FOBO TPMS system,Spyerpops lighted bumpskid,Foom handgrips.
    tobor9@me.com

Spyder Garage

Default brambo brake

Are they easy to install on the 2014 rss spyder EBC Semi-Sintered and Fully Sintered brake pads for the 2013/2014 Spyder
    richie spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ssmcclub View Post
    Are they easy to install on the 2014 rss spyder EBC Semi-Sintered and Fully Sintered brake pads for the 2013/2014 Spyder
    Yes, they are relatively easy. The key being relatively. For most it isn't difficult. Even for the mechanically challenged it isn't that much trouble. I'm sure some DIYer's will chime in with their experiences.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,
    If I were to (get the Missus' permission, and) switch to the fully sintered pads; do the rotors require any preparation, and is there any difference in usage?
    (Do you need to warm them up a bit; before expecting them to start working?)

Spyder Garage

Hi Ron,
    If I were to (get the Missus' permission, and) switch to the fully sintered pads; do the rotors require any preparation, and is there any difference in usage?
    (Do you need to warm them up a bit; before expecting them to start working?)
    There is no difference in usage between the OEM organic, EBC Semi-Sintered or Fully Sintered pad sets. Feel, stopping distance and fade will vary somewhat between the different versions.

If you are going to the EBC rotors there is no preparation needed before install. If you're re-using the OEM rotors I recommend using some Emery paper (300-400 grit) on the rotors before install. A light to medium sanding in the direction of rotation can help speed up the seating-in process on used rotors. But it isn't required. While you have the caliper off, simply rotate the tire/wheel holding the Emery paper against the friction surface of the rotor. Do this for both sides. That's it.

You should always be a bit careful with your first few stops after changing brake pads and or rotors. It is possible that your first few stops will be less effective until the pads and rotors seat (get maximum surface area contact).

Also, before moving the Spyder after the install, pump your brake peddle a few times until it gets hard and normal travel is achieved. This assures that the calipers are positioned correctly and space between the pads and rotor's has been eliminated.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 12-15-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default More Info on Fully Sintered Pad Sets

I clipped this 'Info-Post' from an internet site. Interesting reading.

Full-metallic HH Sintered Bronze brake pads deliver exceptional braking performance under the most demanding conditions. Sintered pads also perform exceptionally well in wet conditions. Sintered bronze brake pads are manufactured using a high-pressure, high-temperature, pressed powdered-metal technology to produce a high density friction material with a high coefficient of friction across the full range of operating temperatures. The non-ferrous metal filament matrix provides high thermal mass and ideal thermal conductivity to quickly conduct energy away from the pad-rotor interface for fast thermal recovery. Lower operating temperatures reduce rotor wear and risk of deformation or warping.

• Excellent for every day riding – exceptional full “hard-stop” braking performance with smooth, progressive and controlled high-speed response.
    • Superior stopping power compared to carbon organic, Kevlar™ organic, or semi-metallic (Semi-Sintered) organic pads.
    • Longer pad life than organic, ceramic, or semi-metallic pads.
    • HH full-metallic sintered friction material provides a high base coefficient of friction with little or no brake “fade” (reduction of braking force at high operating temperatures).
    • Low-dusting formula contains no ferrous (iron) compounds to minimize discoloration of matte/polished wheels.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And the rotors... How much of a dent, will they leave in the wallet?
    (2014 RT)

Spyder Garage

And the rotors... How much of a dent, will they leave in the wallet?
    (2014 RT)
    You don't have to get the EBC rotors to use the Fully Sintered pads, of course. But they do increase stopping power and resist warpage better than the OEM.

Front Rotors - $93.95 ea. x 2
    Rear Rotor - $125.95 ea. x 1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...If my feeble mind is close to accurate: that sounds like $415, and some change...
    ...Time to see if they need any more supplies at the blood bank!
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I am another who has never had to replace brake pads. This, over five 's. You have me beat on 54K though. The 2010, so far, has/had the highest mileage--36,500. I am currently running 16.5K and 9.5K on the two in the garage.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you're not using the brakes to stop; how's the front bumper looking?