Spyder Garage

Default Adding LED lights in the front.

2011 RSS SE5, I was installing the Bajaron bar today and power plugs, and I had an idea. Harbor Freight gives away these $1.99 flashlights and I noticed that they are pretty bright, so I taped 3 of them together ans stuck them in the "hole" below & to the left of the headlights. (I just had 3 at the moment)

I'm thinking that they are plenty bright for running lights. They take 3 AAAs so if you "modified" them and wired them into the bike, your 14V would power them just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great idea ....I'll get some of those lights and try it. You think I could just wire them directly to the battery ?
    I could ad them the the rear for reverse lamps ....hmmmmmm

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY LED"s

I live out-of-the -box in my thinking so I applaud you........But I also think appearance has to play into it......So if you are interested in this flashlite idea then look at this ...... E-BAY items # 311210824490 these are per pair...............and item # 390996904402............................No tape needed ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default sts led lights

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I live out-of-the -box in my thinking so I applaud you........But I also think appearance has to play into it......So if you are interested in this flashlite idea then look at this ...... E-BAY items # 311210824490 these are per pair...............and item # 390996904402............................No tape needed ......Mike
    Have them on my 2014 sts and love them20141106_163646.jpg20141106_182111_HDR.jpg1415473976210.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
    Great idea ....I'll get some of those lights and try it. You think I could just wire them directly to the battery ?
    I could ad them the the rear for reverse lamps ....hmmmmmm

There are 3 batteries in each, so that is 4.5x3 = 13.5 You would need to wire them in series, but there is no reason that you couldn't hook them directly, through a switch of course.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I agree those are great, where did you get the strips?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got mine on Amazon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    I got mine on Amazon
    Name/part # price?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default no part number

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Name/part # price?
    image.jpg

Spyder Garage

Lights are good. I like a lot of them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default LOOK AT MY POST

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Name/part # price?
    .................................On E-Bay the STRIPS are the first item number and I bid $ 3.86 for the pair and that's what I got them for .....Free shipping.......The other LED's were $12 & $13.35 w/ free shipping they were just delivered and Boy are they BRIGHT .....I can see at least 400 Ft very well.....Possibly further but that's where the tree's are ...........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default LOVE THEM TOO

Quote Originally Posted by greatrides View Post
    ......Your's look exactly like the ones I ordered ( e-bay $ 3.86 a pair free shipping )........Can you tell me how much light they produce ?????....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question: Do those lights actually produce a focused beam? Or are they just pitching lumens down the road in sort of a, "Thataway" fashion?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What wire did you tap into for the LED strips? I just received ours in the mail a couple weeks ago. I already have the fender and brightside lights acting like flashers. I was wanting them to stay on all the time.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default STRIP LED's

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    What wire did you tap into for the LED strips? I just received ours in the mail a couple weeks ago. I already have the fender and brightside lights acting like flashers. I was wanting them to stay on all the time.
    ...Well it depends on where you mounting the STRIPS........if you are putting them down low the wires that go to the OEM fender tip lights are right there and they are on ALL the time so you can TAP into them............Because LED's have such a Low power draw the Nanny won't even know there are there...................I f you are mounting somewhere else ???? we have to know where before anyone can help you !!!!!.................Mike

Spyder Garage

Default WHICH LED'S

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Question: Do those lights actually produce a focused beam? Or are they just pitching lumens down the road in sort of a, "Thataway" fashion?
    .......................Bob, the second ones I gave the number for are very focused....at 20 feet the circle was about 36 inches diameter...................The strip LED's I don't know yet because they haven't arrived maybe the other guy will chime in ???????..................Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 12-13-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

...Well it depends on where you mounting the STRIPS........if you are putting them down low the wires that go to the OEM fender tip lights are right there and they are on ALL the time so you can TAP into them............Because LED's have such a Low power draw the Nanny won't even know there are there...................I f you are mounting somewhere else ???? we have to know where before anyone can help you !!!!!.................Mike [emoji106]
    Thanks Mike, i plan on mounting them just like in the pic's in the thread.

Spyder Garage

Default AND HOW ABOUT THOSE ???????

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Thanks Mike, i plan on mounting them just like in the pic's in the thread.
    ........How about giving a report / evalution on those JBL speakers I told you about so it's not just my opinion ??????.............were they worth the money ????....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default the other guy is here

The strip lights Do not throw the light more than 4 feet. But they are very bright and I hope I can be seen better!

Spyder Garage

........How about giving a report / evalution on those JBL speakers I told you about so it's not just my opinion ??????.............were they worth the money ????....Mike [emoji106]
    Havent ridden on the freeway yet. We are suppose to go on a long ride tomorrow and I will give a report after.