Thread: 2015 RIDES

Spyder Garage

Default 2015 RIDES

Hey Dudes & Dudettes;
    Are you planning a ride for 2015....?
    Maybe this will help you get started, or give you knew ideas...
    http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/north-america/top-10/motorcycle-rides/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/north-america/travel-tips-and-articles/77139

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-motorcycle-trip/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/12/travel/best-motorcycle-roads/
    Also, i have been talking with the people at
    MAP QUEST about building a website specifically for us motorcycle nuts.... wish me luck on this one...
    does anyone know if there is already a website just for us? i'd appreciate knowing if there is...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Those are some great roads. I was surprised to discover that I have been on most of them at one time or another though a few were just in a car. Here is yet another source of good roads to ride.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/byways/

Many of these are less ambitious or beautiful than the ones you listed but still worth riding. Almost every State has a few listed.

If you are looking for a little personal inspiration, take a look at this guy's tour descriptions. He is just amazing.

http://www.bamarider.com/

Spyder Garage

A ride that seems to be frequently overlooked is "Back of The Dragon", which follows VA Rt 16 from Marion VA to Tazwell, VA. It goes over three mountains and has 260 curves over its 32 mile run. The Maryland Spyder Web did it this summer, and I was sure glad I was on my Spyder. There had been some heavy rain and there was a lot of gravel washed onto the road in some places . . . I have little doubt that if I'd been on two wheels, at the speed we were riding, that I'd have laid a bike down . . . but it was a GREAT ride!

The Southern California Motorcycling Association listed it as #9 on their "Best 15 U.S. Roads Challenge" for 2014. http://sc-ma.com/rides/best-15-us-roads-challenge

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default This site does a good job of helping you plan a crooked route

I use this site for trip planning: http://tripplanner.honda.com/#/

You can plan a crooked trip or see others trips... share, edit, save, import and export..... Nice site.
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    A ride that seems to be frequently overlooked is "Back of The Dragon", which follows VA Rt 16 from Marion VA to Tazwell, VA. It goes over three mountains and has 260 curves over its 32 mile run. The Maryland Spyder Web did it this summer, and I was sure glad I was on my Spyder. There had been some heavy rain and there was a lot of gravel washed onto the road in some places . . . I have little doubt that if I'd been on two wheels, at the speed we were riding, that I'd have laid a bike down . . . but it was a GREAT ride!

The Southern California Motorcycling Association listed it as #9 on their "Best 15 U.S. Roads Challenge" for 2014. http://sc-ma.com/rides/best-15-us-roads-challenge
    I have ridden through Deal's Gap and a lot more of US 129 many, many times and I don't think it is any better than several other roads in that area or North Georgia. Also, it isn't really all that scenic. The road just got a reputation that caught on so that it is now a must ride or even a rite of passage for many riders. These days, I won't ride it on a weekend because of all the crazies.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-12-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

I am fortunate enough to live in one of those great riding places. I do not plan on going out of state on my for 2015 (Maybe a trip to the Yukon though (right next door)).

We are preparing for some SL riders to visit, and I know they are going to have a great time. No matter where you choose to ride here, it's all pretty awesome.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am fortunate enough to live in one of those great riding places. I do not plan on going out of state on my for 2015 (Maybe a trip to the Yukon though (right next door)).

We are preparing for some SL riders to visit, and I know they are going to have a great time. No matter where you choose to ride here, it's all pretty awesome.
    When Kathy and I were there in 06 we had a great time and the view is always fantastic
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have ridden through Deal's Gap and a lot more of US 129 many, many times and I don't think it is any better than several other roads in that area or North Georgia. Also, it isn't really all that scenic. The road just got a reputation that caught on so that it is now a must ride or even a rite of passage for many riders. These days, I won't ride it on a weekend because of all the crazies.
    These days, I won't ride it on a weekend because of all the crazies.

Same for us on other roads...I even consider this when choosing places to ride the bicycles in the woods.

PK

Spyder Garage

Default Harley does it well

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...idePlanner.jsp

We use the Harley ride planner that can be loaded onto the Garmin 660 easily once set up.

I have used this for the past four years and plot all of our trips easily. It takes some learning to work with but once done you can save your trips for private or public use. You can also access trips others have done as well.

I already have our May 2015 trip set and planned.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We would like to try the Pacific Coast Highway.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Dan,
    I would suggest bestbikingroads.com they have a app called bbr lite for free or you can pay for a all exclusive version.

You can post your favorite rides on this app so others can drive it. Pretty neat especially if your traveling and not familiar with roads you can download for example visiting Traverse city and you see all the M-22 stickers on all the cars.
    Click the app search for routes near me, you see MI-22 and now your touring some of the best views of Lake Michigan swinging down through fish town and suttons bay revealing grand traverse east bay stop in front street then up to tour wine country on old mission peninsula.... Check it out hope it helps.

Patrick,
    Sempyder out,

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Sempyder View Post
    Dan,
    I would suggest bestbikingroads.com they have a app called bbr lite for free or you can pay for a all exclusive version.

You can post your favorite rides on this app so others can drive it. Pretty neat especially if your traveling and not familiar with roads you can download for example visiting Traverse city and you see all the M-22 stickers on all the cars.
    Click the app search for routes near me, you see MI-22 and now your touring some of the best views of Lake Michigan swinging down through fish town and suttons bay revealing grand traverse east bay stop in front street then up to tour wine country on old mission peninsula.... Check it out hope it helps.

Patrick,
    WOW....
    I checked it out, and it looks gr8.....
    need 2 download the app.... and give it a try....
    btw; i've flown into Traverse City many times... too cold up there for me... i actually think i saw Big Foot one time....
    Dan