Thread: Check DPS?

Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS?

Hello, I have 2010 Rss with 2800 miles. A couple of days a go I heard like a dry sound steering the wheel and then yesterday I got a Check Dps and it is really hard to steer. I am going for a 3000 mile service and will have them take a look but any ideas of how serious it is? And would be okay if I ride the bike to the dealer? About an hour drive. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Steering...

you can drive it but the steering will be heavy especially when rolling slow or stopped. The dps (dynamicpower steering) assists in the handling butyou can still manage fine. Have one ryder has been without it for some time. The units are expensive if needed replacing. Check your fuses and relays to make sure and do have it checked at the dealer...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks hopefully won't need replacment

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 818Zee View Post
    Thanks hopefully won't need replacment
    There was a recall for bad DPS units for '09 and some '10s. Your dealer should be able to find out if yours was replaced, or not. It might be replaced, at no cost to you.

Spyder Garage

I called dealer with my VIN and there is no recalls. It's amazing not even 3000 miles and already malfunction? Can't be a good sign. Any ideas on cost of repair?

Spyder Garage

There is a pretty good chance you could get this done as goodwill and no charge. As it is a well documented
    problem, and should have had the upgrade anyway. The fact it has only 3000miles in 4 years, probably means
    the Spyder hasn't been to a workshop for anyone to actually do the upgrade.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders.
    Current Spyder, 2015 F3 Steel Black, Passenger Backrest, Blue Ridge Screen with Xcreen Extention, Akrapovic Muffler, Attitude Handlebars, Blades front rims, RT Swaybar,
    Her Spyder 2011 Magnesium RSS Sportrack and Backrest, Comfort Seat, Grip Puppies, 3.5 inch Riser Bars, Wespyd Signature Swaybar. Hindle Muffler, Godiva Screen, Hiway Pegs Can Am Panniers

Previous Spyders
    2013 ST SM5
    2011 RSS
    2010 RS
    2015 F3 , Black with Blue Graphics

Spyder Garage

I called dealer with my VIN and there is no recalls. It's amazing not even 3000 miles and already malfunction? Can't be a good sign. Any ideas on cost of repair?
    If you don't get any satisfaction on the problem from your dealer, I'd be tempted to contact BRP customer service and explain the problem to them. After all, problematic steering could be construed as a safety issue.
    JMO

Spyder Garage

I am at the dealer now, he says warranty is over and the unit was replaced in 2011 because of the recall. It's gonna cost 1,100 for the unit plus labor. That sucks. I think I might drive it like this for a while I can't afford to replace it now. I just don't understand if replaced In 2011 how can it go bad that quick.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ouch! That's about the prices that we've been seeing for them...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am at the dealer now, he says warranty is over and the unit was replaced in 2011 because of the recall. It's gonna cost 1,100 for the unit plus labor. That sucks. I think I might drive it like this for a while I can't afford to replace it now. I just don't understand if replaced In 2011 how can it go bad that quick.
    If I remember correctly, there is a fuse for the DPS which should be checked. I remember that I put on several thousand miles on my GS(RS) while I was waiting for my DPS unit to get installed.

Spyder Garage

Default Bajaron Sway Bar

Okay So I have been riding with the Check DPS light on, and Its not THAT bad. Its rideable, But I know I eventually Have to get it fixed. So when I do take it to get it fixed I want to install the Bajaron Sway Bar. Any idea where to buy it? and how much it would cost to install it?. I spoke to someone at Pirate Motorsports and he recommended I upgrade my shocks but WOW that is a really expensive upgrade do I really Need it? he said 1800 for the FOX I think. Any suggestions? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Okay So I have been riding with the Check DPS light on, and Its not THAT bad. Its rideable, But I know I eventually Have to get it fixed. So when I do take it to get it fixed I want to install the Bajaron Sway Bar. Any idea where to buy it? and how much it would cost to install it?. I spoke to someone at Pirate Motorsports and he recommended I upgrade my shocks but WOW that is a really expensive upgrade do I really Need it? he said 1800 for the FOX I think. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Years ago, owners would use new takeoff shocks from RT's and install on RS's. That changed seemed to work very well for normal operation.
    With so many owners getting the new F3, there should be quite a few used Ron bars coming on the market. Otherwise, Pitbull or Spyderpops has them available.