Spyder Garage

Default Tennessee to ban trucks from The Dragon

ERIK SCHELZIG , Associated Press 8:10 a.m. CST December 4, 2014

Tennessee is banning trucks longer than 30 feet from using a twisty stretch of U.S. Route 129 that is known as The Dragon.
    The truck ban is welcome news to motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts who travel long distances to experience the mountain road famous for its 318 curves in 11 miles along the western edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
    Ron Johnson, the owner of the Tail of the Dragon gift store near Robbinsville, North Carolina, called the decision "long overdue" because tractor-trailers pulling through tight turns can block both lanes of traffic and force cars and motorcycles off the road.
    "I've had three close calls on The Dragon, where I'm in the ditch and can't get any further over," he said. "And trucks come through and miss me by an inch."
    While trucks have been banned from the North Carolina side of the road for a few years, Tennessee until now only posted signs warning truckers of switchback turns on the route.
    "They'd say, well it can't be that bad, and it's another 100 miles to go around," said Johnson, who has in the past taken it upon himself to ride his motorcycle out ahead of trucks to warn oncoming traffic.
    "We didn't hold this against the truckers because they didn't know," he said.
    State records show of the 1.4 million vehicles that traversed the Tennessee side of the Dragon between 2010 and 2012, there were total of 204 crashes — with motorcycles making up 82 percent of them.
    Six of those wrecks resulted in fatalities, including one involving a tractor-trailer. The riders who died on the serpentine road ranged in ages from 24 to 62.
    Accidents involving trucks usually cause the road to be blocked for several hours because of its curvy and narrow nature, according to the Tennessee Department of Transportation.
    Johnson said that while the Dragon draws enthusiasts from around the country and as far away as South America and the Far East to experience stretches of the road known as "The Whip," ''Revenuer's Straight" and the "Gravity Cavity," the continued presence of trucks has kept some from making their trip — and spending their tourist dollars.
    "People contact me all the time wanting to know if they still allow trucks on the Dragon, because they're not going to come if they still do," he said.
    Signs detailing the new truck ban will be installed in mid-January.

Spyder Garage

Welcome News

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default About time!

This is long overdue...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by reissooz View Post
    This is long overdue...
    Now if we could just get the sheriff's department and state troopers banned...

Spyder Garage

Good news and that should increase the safety factor a bit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to see this..
    I'm surprised that it's taken them this long to figure out that you can't "Sword-Fight in a broom closet."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The GPS leads them there all the time. My neighbor takes his 911 up there twice a year with a group of Porsche guys, and it seems they're always meeting up with a trucker who has gotten way over his head because Garmin took him there. One of the guys in the group works in the movie industry, and has his commercial license. He had to actually take over for one trucker who was so freaked out that he was panicked, and couldn't drive the road.

...And once you're on it, there will be no turning a truck around!!

Spyder Garage

If it is a Govt. road, then I wonder what the ICC has to say about this.

Chris

Spyder Garage

great news
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    The GPS leads them there all the time. My neighbor takes his 911 up there twice a year with a group of Porsche guys, and it seems they're always meeting up with a trucker who has gotten way over his head because Garmin took him there. One of the guys in the group works in the movie industry, and has his commercial license. He had to actually take over for one trucker who was so freaked out that he was panicked, and couldn't drive the road.

...And once you're on it, there will be no turning a truck around!!
    All true, but signs have been posted leading up to the start of the Dragon on the Tennessee side for several years. Truckers have no excuse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    All true, but signs have been posted leading up to the start of the Dragon on the Tennessee side for several years. Truckers have no excuse.
    Those signs are supposed to be read???

Spyder Garage

Default Been there done that LOL.

As a load instructor for a flat bed trucking company I woke up to cussing from the trainee, he took the shortest rout LOL, I had to finish the run, would not recommend it in a truck even with a short flat bed, or even bob tail, but hey the road signs just said not recomended, I need to take the spyder there maybe next year.
    Ram mount on both upper air deflectors custom ram mount for ATC9k action cam
    Chrome Dear Whistles
    Dual Color MagicFLEX® Channelz finder lights
    TIPZ units
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR UPPER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CAN AM SPYDER RT RADIATOR LOWER BLOCK OFF PLATE
    CATALYTIC CONVERTER SHIELD
    TITANIUM EXHAUST WRAP
    JT's AIR FILTER KIT

Spyder Garage

I've been riding the Dragon on two wheels for many years now, but this year Is my first on the what a ride, so good I rode It down and up both..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Good news and long overdo. The Dragon is getting more crowded every year and that alone makes it very dangerous. There are all types of bikes and riders of all skill levels now on this road. You never know what to expect when you ride the Dragon.

Spyder Garage

Default Great news..!

some roads are just not modern truck friendly. The semi's have been getting progressively longer and do not fit properly on such winding roads. I see it more for the truckers safety than the fact that it ruins a fun ride for some folks. Truckers tend to find better times to travel such roads but are many times faced with schedules...jmo..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default ICC

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    If it is a Govt. road, then I wonder what the ICC has to say about this.

Chris
    The ICC no longer exists.
    2016 Freewheeler

2014 Spyder RT-L Pearl White (SOLD)

Akrapovic Silencer, BajaRon Sway Bar/Links, BRP 23" Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Wind Deflector,
    BRP Heated Seat/Backrest, BRP Sirius, BRP Bluetooth Dongle, BRP Tri Axis Handlebars w/GPS,
    CD Brake Light Modulator, CD Short Antenna, Elka 1+r Shocks, ISCI Brake, JT Dash Mount, Lamonster Cat Bypass, SP Bumpskid, SP Kott Grills, SP Belt Guard

Spyder Garage

I am pleased with the ban. However, from my observation, most of the wrecks are a single rider and the problem is they simply not skilled enough to ride at the speeds they are going.

Spyder Garage

Default I passed one

tractor trailer this summer on the Dragon. It was shorter than normal. Single axle truck and a singlr axle trailer but still too long for those corners. It took up both lanes. I caught it at a good spot. I was comoing out of a corner while it was in the middle of the next corner and could see it ahead of time. No need for them to be on this road and I have a lot of respect for truckers seeing all the idiots they have to deal with everyday.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I am pleased with the ban. However, from my observation, most of the wrecks are a single rider and the problem is they simply not skilled enough to ride at the speeds they are going.
    Sad; isn't it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black