Spyder Garage

Default bike in the shop again

will here is my story.

will the bike was due for service and some recall issues and some other issues that keep coming up as old that needed attention issues. i made appointment with shop to get it looked at and was going to walk home from there

will the bike didn't want to go,

it had started but the bike shook wildly and then shut off will i recorded the event. then i started it again and drove it out the drive way and shut the gates and the bike cut off again and gave me the orange screen.

so i decided to record again and tried to start the bike again to see what happens will it started but would shut off right away tried this a few times then turned around from the corner of the block and parked it on the street and had it towed to the shop instead.

will that was 4 (four) weeks ago and still no bike. they say it is this then that and don't worry it is under warranty but i say i still have no bike!
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

what year and model bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

First thought came to mind was Throttle Body. Acted just like mine did. I just kept restarting it until it ran smoothly, then used the kill switch for short stops with bike in sight, preventing the compter from having to reboot the TB.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default lucky 13

the bike is the lucky 13 and it is the RT
    Rick11Flor practicing for retirement. Everyday is a new day and I try to live it to the max.
    We (DW and I) travel to distant lands three or more months per year now looking for a Outlaw to take the Spyder along.

Spyder Garage

Sorry Rick! Keep us posted! I used that other dealer didn't you? Woods Fun Center?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

from your opening statement, seems there were several issues that needed tending to. Not knowing them it's hard to say. Could be bad gas or a bunch of other stuff. The fact the dealer has no results in four weeks is concerning. Perhaps a new one could get you back on the road much sooner....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Obviously a wild guess.

Many have had failure of the small vacuum hoses in the throttle body area. Also, recently, it was posted where the rubber flanges that secure the throttle bodies to the heads had failed by splitting.

Both situations could create crazy vacuum leaks that the engine would not enjoy.

FWIW, the leaks would be most noticed during idle to make the engine act odd and or die.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    what year and model bike
    Profile says 2013 RT.

It should not take four weeks for a dealer to find and fix problems. I would be a little hinky on their abilities.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-07-2014 at 05:50 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Obviously a wild guess.

Many have had failure of the small vacuum hoses in the throttle body area. Also, recently, it was posted where the rubber flanges that secure the throttle bodies to the heads had failed by splitting.

Both situations could create crazy vacuum leaks that the engine would not enjoy.

FWIW, the leaks would be most noticed during idle to make the engine act odd and or die.

PK
    I had this problem. Your description was close to this. When I had this problem, I had to blip the throttle every now and then to keep from dying.

jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    First thought came to mind was Throttle Body. Acted just like mine did. I just kept restarting it until it ran smoothly, then used the kill switch for short stops with bike in sight, preventing the compter from having to reboot the TB.
    So it is best to use the kill switch for short trips than to switch it off with the key...Hmmmn didn't know thanks