Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Fair enough...
    Hey you asked for it and I went BIG
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And spectacular, too!
    I've already broken out the sunglasses, and marshmallow sticks...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry...
    The 2014s are a much improved ride over the previous years. There have been some hiccups along the way; but a lot of those items on your list...
    Just because you haven't expierenced these problems doesn't mean they don't exist

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What's the matter with you?
    Nobody said that they don't exist; it's just that your list is in error.
    Do your homework first...

For the Record; my 2010 RT had a few bumps along the highway:
    Throttle Bodies needed replacing
    The Throttle Position sensor needed replacing
    The windshield center strut broke
    and the harness back to the stereo interface was bad.

Was the bike a piece of crap? HELL NO! We enjoyed every moment of ownership, and moved up when the 2014 was announced.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 12-10-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    2014 brakes, guessing you mean they are sometimes noisy. seems most often it is from light application of the brakes or dust.

2014 oil leaks, I was under the impression that BRP solved this with either the set screw sealing (repaired by dealer prior to delivery) or replacing parts as needed if something else.

2014 clutch, I heard one post about replacing some screws, assuming that is the concern but still do not know the problem that required replacement.

2014 tires, yes it was admitted the compound was changed. The new rear tire mileage is less, but not impossible to live with for many.

2014, rear shocks, it has been posted by very few that a few had concerns.

2014 Ignitions, known issue and supposedly corrected by dealer if within affected serial number range prior to delivery.

2014 alignments, true and maybe the most inconsistent item from vehicle to vehicle.

2014 loose bolts, have not heard much about this, but did find an extra bolt while accomplishing some work on the machine. No it did not just fall out.

2014 fuel pumps, no doubt a concern, but seems they have been replacing them as needed, as of now no known failures or stranded riders.

2014 shift sensor, few people have mentioned this. Not sure it is a problem with the sensor or something else. I have seen it twice, but it was obvious I shifted from 1 to R or R to 1 and the computer got confused for a second. Nothing a second of waiting did not sort on its own.

Granted it is a BRP concern for all items, however, the tires are not made by BRP, brakes are not made by BRP, the engines are made by Rotax another division but technically not BRP, Ignition switch is not made by BRP, fuel pump is not made by BRP, if it is a shift sensor failure it too is not made by BRP. So pretty much the loose bolts and alignment are directly BRP.

I'm not here to defend BRP, but my reality check shows me some items they are simply drawn into from their vendors, similar to the big airbag fiasco currently being dealt with by many car oems. How BRP contends with good customer service or how well their dealers resolve concerns and maintain good customer service is the greatest projection onto BRP.

Overall, I am not upset or praising them, just be realistic in your expectations of the vehicle and the support from BRP and more importantly from your authorized dealer.

PK
    Not the noise of the brakes, should have specified, the parking brake actuator motors that are defective and have to be replaced. The OP wanted issues with the 14's, so I listed a few, if most of these issues occurred on your bike you might have different views. Don't get me wrong I love my Spyder, but when you take delivery and on the way home your screen lights up orange then into limp mode ,you start to have concerns. The clutch campaign where the clutch was put in backwards on the assembly line, yes that's my first spyder experience, won't bore you with more details. Lots of folks haven't had any issues and that's great, but they are out there. My expectations are realistic, when you pay $30,000 for a spyder, it should work awhile, way to many issues for being brand new, you think? Or just sweep it all under the rug? Brp is responsible for the product they put out, not the vendors.

Spyder Garage

I for one, appreciate hearing about different personal experiences (pros and cons) about something that I plan on purchasing. I do not own a Spyder yet, but I will be pulling the trigger on one very soon. I rather buy it with the knowledge of possibly having certain problems, than to buy it thinking it's perfect and then be disgruntled. Besides, people who have these problems share with others what they have done to make it better. All pros and cons are GOOD, as long as it doesn't turn into a bashing of the product. I think Spyders are awesome and have been hooked since 2010 when I took my first test ride. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences on this site. Thank you Lamont for allowing us to do so!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Sometimes these threads do go South, and then we get people nipping at each others heels and making statements that we may regret a bit later.

There have been many negative threads of late. Been on the site going on five years now and lately has been a bit hard for even me.

I have no problem with people posting about issues or glitches with our beloved machine. I have experienced a few things also. My history is now over five different 's and 100,000 miles. I guess you could say I like the product and am a supporter of it.

My problem currently is that there are a few (and most of us know who they are) that are ticked off big time at BRP or their particular machine, or the particular year model.

We see their rants almost daily. They interject their issue and problem in almost every thread they can, and sometimes in threads that are not even close.

Some have tried to get the problems solved. Some have not met with good results. We even have some who sold their and they continue to rant. Then there are some who's expectations are not even realistic. It is easy to see who is on a vendetta.

A lot of the negativity on the site comes from a few people and not the majority.
    I think a re-print is appropriate. Sorry.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I guess I've been blissfully ignorant and think my 2014 RTS is just fine!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Meee tooooo!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    don't think this could be actually a problem.. more of a "shortcoming" .. the light in the frunk on my RT... I have seen fireflys that emit more light...

OSM
    This is true. I agree, it's more of an annoyance, but it also spans all years of the RT, not just the 2014.
    The 2014 allows you to open up the frunk using the key while the engine is running.
    I've found that the headlights reflecting off the raised frunk lid give me enough light to take care of business.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I took some time to go back and read the entire thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    I for one, appreciate hearing about different personal experiences (pros and cons) about something that I plan on purchasing. I do not own a Spyder yet, but I will be pulling the trigger on one very soon. I rather buy it with the knowledge of possibly having certain problems, than to buy it thinking it's perfect and then be disgruntled. Besides, people who have these problems share with others what they have done to make it better. All pros and cons are GOOD, as long as it doesn't turn into a bashing of the product. I think Spyders are awesome and have been hooked since 2010 when I took my first test ride. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences on this site. Thank you Lamont for allowing us to do so!
    Youblood you hit the nail on the head. Part of my history with the Spyder was 6 months of research and documenting these problems for every model 2011 - 2014. My eventual purchase of a 2014 RT, which is a substantial investment, was an educated decision with full understanding of the risks. It's similar to product reviews posted to Amazon or iTunes or Google Marketplace or Ebay. Everyone sees the good and the bad and everyone uses them.

I love the idea of the original thread. IMHO if an issue has been posted on multiple occasions to this forum it deserves a place in a permanent archive as something that could be an issue to be used for educating the potential buyer.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    Knowing about potential problems lessens the impact of the problem IF it happens to you. I don't see any point in keeping secrets about problems that may or may not occur. I haven't had many with my 2010 RT but I knew about every one of them before they happened because I read about them on Spyderlovers. When my throttle bodies started to act up 200 miles into a 1000 mile round trip to New Mexico, I just kept going because I knew how to deal with the problem. When I got home BRP replaced the throttle body under warranty. When it dumped me into limp mode from 70 mph in a long sweeping curve, I knew what had happened and how to deal with it. When I found a spot of anti-freeze under the RT in the garage, I knew to check the coolant tank for cracks and that was the problem.

I never expected my RT to be perfect. I never owned a motorcycle that was. BRP and my dealer have supported their product better than any company I've ever dealt with but that doesn't mean I won't have problems. So, I'm always glad to see threads that ask questions about Spyders. That's how we learn. Frankly, I ignore some of the threads because there are some riders who would be better off in their air conditioned and heated cages. But I have no problems with threads that ask legitimate questions.

Cotton
    I concur, knowing in advance of a potential issue and the solution has saved me a couple of times. I do not see anything wrong with the question.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    I took some time to go back and read the entire thread.
    If you did; you must have missed my explanation for asking what the O.P. was up to...
    You must not have been around for the 2010 DPS recall...

...And all of the strange requests for information about accidents, where people were injured... or worse!
    That, my friend; was an attempt by lawyers, to gather information for potential lawsuits...
    Once bitten; twice shy...

Spyder Garage

If you did; you must have missed my explanation for asking what the O.P. was up to...
    Nope I didn't miss any of the comments. Sorry Bob if you thought this was directed at you. It was just a statement in general based on the overall emphasis placed on misdirection as is common in this forum (squirrel).
    4 pages of posts (approx. 92 posts) and only 6 legitimate responses before PMK stepped in with a list of potential problems.

I was just stating that the idea of documenting these issues is a great idea and my justification for it.
    My thoughts are if this had been done with every new model there would be transparency and little room for debate. It would be available as a single resource (never to be off topic). Just a simple record of fact based on forum members experiences, BRP's record of warranty work or shop records.
    Back to polishing my Spyder, it got wet for the first time last night.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Think Positive! Why are we dwelling on something that might happen. Like my Llamas used to say "Spit Happens". I can not beleive all of you are droning on and on about something that might happen. Way too many posts on this subject. Get over it.

I feel better now. Thanks

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I think whom ever started thread had a good idea... we all learn about these machines by bringing either good/bad things to light... it could avoid an unpleasant experience from happening... I for one do not see any reason not to bring up shortcomings of these machines.. if someone does not care to read a certain post... its darn easy to skip it...

OSM
    very well put but it seems the post Nazis have to jump in and send the thread in the direction they see fit.really enjoyed this site when I first joined but some posters are just too much !!! and impossible to avoid.
    2014 rt-s black,bump skid,baja ron swaybar and shock spring adjusters,rivco highway mounts &pegs and trunk flag holders 2014 900 ace renegade

Spyder Garage

I used to design and build automotive electronics for a living. When I started, we were measuring defects in conditions per hundred vehicles. 25 years later, we were measuring defects in parts per million. We built electronic control products that had a failure rate of better than 1 in 5,000. I would say that is pretty good odds. When you are selling hundreds of thousands, some unfortunate customers will get a defective controller and it will leave them stranded on the side of the road. Some customers get very angry and spread all sorts of bad information about reliability. If those are the only people a potential customer listens to, he/she will get a very erroneous impression of the reliability of that particular vehicle.

I would just suggest that a potential Spyder buyer keep this in mind when reading about any other vehicle on the internet. You can get some really valuable information but you might come to an erroneous conclusion if you don't consider the whole picture.

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Healthy information sharing is good, disparaging complaints and problems very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I know those who have had no problems can say what they want but objective comments on what to watch for are a good thing. Constantly deriding anyone who mentions an issue serves no purpose. This forum is to help owners and not just the ones that have no issues I am happy for you all. Some people have not been so lucky and knowing what has happened may help them at the dealer resolving said issues.
    Those who are running down posters calling for information gathering within this group about problems should go to the nearest door, insert hand in hinge area and have a friend slam said door very hard upon their hand several times. Hiding the faults of products is the work of stooges, pretending product lines do not have faults is the work of corporate stooges. Sharing product faults and ways of fixing faults is honest respect for others and shows concern for the long term existence of a product line. Just my call on this matter but I've seen many motorcycle lines die from hiding from their problems rather than addressing and resolving them-------------
    2013 STS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Well, I certainly won't be asking for feedback again, as it seems seeking information concerning our Spyders is construed here as an attack on our beautiful, though far from perfect, rides.

I guess I'm used to the Gold Wing forums I've frequented in the past where the exchange of information, both technical and social, was the main focus.

Some of you actually implied that my thread was designed to provide fuel for litigation. Really?

I'm on my third Spyder, and I've barely had this one for two weeks. I believe that proves I'm not a "hater", but I am a rider with over 40 years of experience who takes an interest in the mechanics of his ride and the value received for his money, and I only post when I have something helpful to add or a relevant question to ask. My tone has always been civil and polite. In my opinion some of the threads I've seen recently are tantamount to attacks, thinly veiled though they might be. I'm disappointed by the turn this forum is taking.

I too find the corporate shilling deplorable. All man made machines have problems, sharing and resolving these problems is what makes product lines survive long term not hiding, faking, and BS!
    2013 STS , Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Help with determining why tires are wearing oddly and fenders hopping when braking

Any ideas as to what is causing my front tires (both sides) are wearing the same. Every other cleat (lack of proper term) is lower than the other completely around the inside only. This is causing the spyder to shake. I have maybe 2000 miles on them and that's being very generous. I've tried laser alignments and has replaced tires on this 2014 more times than I care to. Oh I forgot to mention that the fenders bounce/hop or what ever the violent movement they are doing is most disturbing during braking and not to mention the looks from others driving along side. Before my trip to Florida back in December 2014, BRP instructed Fredericksburg Motor Sports to change the calipers. It worked for a while and now the same ugly problem is back and on top another set of new tires are ruined. There has got to be a solution to all this. I need this fixed for good before my next road trip. Your opinions are welcome and valued.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might have something loose up front...
    I'm guessing...

...But I'd be looking at alignment and/or balance issues first.

Then I'd question the tire's soundness... Broken belts maybe?

Spyder Garage

This may get lost in the clutter.

You should start a new thread to address this issue (IMHO).

AJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bandwagon View Post
    Any ideas as to what is causing my front tires (both sides) are wearing the same. Every other cleat (lack of proper term) is lower than the other completely around the inside only. This is causing the spyder to shake. I have maybe 2000 miles on them and that's being very generous. I've tried laser alignments and has replaced tires on this 2014 more times than I care to. Oh I forgot to mention that the fenders bounce/hop or what ever the violent movement they are doing is most disturbing during braking and not to mention the looks from others driving along side. Before my trip to Florida back in December 2014, BRP instructed Fredericksburg Motor Sports to change the calipers. It worked for a while and now the same ugly problem is back and on top another set of new tires are ruined. There has got to be a solution to all this. I need this fixed for good before my next road trip. Your opinions are welcome and valued.

Thanks

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Tire pressure

No mention of tire pressure/???

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Hi Coast Rider,

I think a few may be a bit sensitive but you did not ask an unreasonable question, I am always glad to know what to keep an eye out for. My spyder broke down on the way home form the dealership due to a faulty O Ring. I recieved first class treatment from my dealer (Lifestyles Honda in Mt. Vernon WA.) and BRP of which sent out a service rep and had me back on the road by the following Monday.

Otherwise all has been good but I rather know if there are weak links in the chain, so to speak, so I can be proactive and know what to watch. Thanks for you post, it is appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Default Point well taken ....

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Well, I certainly won't be asking for feedback again, as it seems seeking information concerning our Spyders is construed here as an attack on our beautiful, though far from perfect, rides.

I guess I'm used to the Gold Wing forums I've frequented in the past where the exchange of information, both technical and social, was the main focus.

Some of you actually implied that my thread was designed to provide fuel for litigation. Really?

I'm on my third Spyder, and I've barely had this one for two weeks. I believe that proves I'm not a "hater", but I am a rider with over 40 years of experience who takes an interest in the mechanics of his ride and the value received for his money, and I only post when I have something helpful to add or a relevant question to ask. My tone has always been civil and polite. In my opinion some of the threads I've seen recently are tantamount to attacks, thinly veiled though they might be. I'm disappointed by the turn this forum is taking.
    I agree..you never know what's gonna get some folks stirred up. Please stay around, info exchange helps us all.

Ron